Mating clownfish

I

ivanfj

How can I tell if my pair has been mated? They've been together for over 4 months nearly 5 now, but I am yet to see them sleeping together. However, one does chase the other around and is the bigger one who does that. The bigger one tends to sleep in some zoos at night and the smaller one just flows around at a corner. So my question is how long it usually takes for the clowns the pair up??? Anyone??? :rolleyes:

gregvabch

mine paired up within a month. after adding the male my female was very aggressive towards him, but she eventually accepted him and now they are inseperable. she is also over twice the size of him, which helps when pairing them up.

I

ivanfj

I bought them at the same time from the same tank in my LFS. And they were in similar sizes as well, but one has become a little bigger than the other and more aggressive as well. They should be sleeping together when they are mated???

gregvabch

like i said, mine are inseperable. whether they're sleeping, eating, protecting their toadstool, etc., they're together. i had my female for about six months before i added the male, and the male was and still is a lot smaller than her. size helps a lot. with clownfish the female is the larger and dominant gender of the relationship. it is possible since both of your fish probably came from the same "litter" that they're both males. eventually one of them will outgrow the other, and turn into a female. time will tell. HTH

debnflo

Sounds like they already are paired up. Now if they will spawn is a different thing all together. You have the best chance of them spawning in a peaceful tank so they aren't always on alert. Also if they are well fed they are much more likely to spawn although that can be hell on your water quality in a Nano.

rwhite

Only time will tell. It took ours FOREVER (4 mos or so) to decide. A beautiful thing when it happens.

bang guy

Originally posted by ivanfj
How can I tell if my pair has been mated?

If they are guarding a clutch of eggs then they have mated.

I

ivanfj

If they are guarding a clutch of eggs then they have mated.
Hmmm, I guess mine are just friends right now after 5 months.