Maxima Clam - HELP!

geckopsu

I bought a prime specimine of a Maxima Clam exactly a month ago. Ever since I bought it it's been opening less and less. It's only about 2" long and it's open only about 1/4" now. I've read that the smaller they are the more light they need so I have it near the top of my reef under 2 x 175w Mh and 2 x 110w Actinic bulbs. The Actinics are on for about 12hrs/day and the Mh are on 8hrs/day.
More details:
- The tank is a 90 gallon reef.
- It's been up and running for about 5 months
- Fish: 2 percs, Yellow Tank, Hippo Tang, 2 Engineer Gobies, Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby, Jester Goby, Blue Jaw Trigger, Purple Fire Fish, Flame Hawk, 2 neon Gobys, an assortment of snails, Scarlet Reef Hermits, Cleaner Shrimp
- Corals: a variety of peacefull LPS
- Parameters have been steady (checked every two days with mostly Salifert kits): Temp 78.5, PH 8.2, sal. 1.023, amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, KH 8.6, Alk 3.1, Calcium 400, Phos 0.
- I bought a Derasa clam at the same time and it appears to be doing great.
This is killing me 'cause it's the most expensive item in the tank ($67) and mostly because I havn't lost anything yet and I'm dreading the day that I finally do.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Her's a picture of my tank just after I bought the Maxima and before I moved him closer to the Mh lights.

scsinet

Hahah I remember when the most expensive thing I had in my tank was 67 dollars.
Yeah I'd say your SG is too low. You should be at 1.023.
I find it hard to believe that your nitrates are 0, so double check your results, but if it's 0, that's great!
Your alkalinity is low, but I wouldn't expect it to cause this problem.
Have you inspected the clam both from above and below? Check to see that the mantle is not being degrated/eaten by something. I had this problem before.
Also, I've read that Maximas require a well established tank which I'd say is 12 months or more.... ??? :thinking:
Beyond that, I'll say that I won't attempt Maximas... they are much less hardy than Derasas (which I am keeping successfully at the moment as well). Lots of people do try them with success though.

krull001

Most clams do not like a sandy bottom.... you need to move it up in the tank on a rock or flat stone ASAP!!!!!! Clams need a solid spot to anchor down to!! plus bristle worms will hide under the clam down on the sand and keep closed up and will die very soon!!! Move it now!! the higher the better in the tank the need alot of light aswell

geckopsu

Thanks for your quick reply!
I've way overshot my budget for the aquarium this year, so $67 items is going to have to be the high end for me for quite a while.
The SG is at 1.023 (I stated in the original post "sal. 1.023" still learning correct terminology.
Also the Nitrates have been down to 0 for about 2 months now. I owe it to 90 lbs of pre-cured live rock, water changes (with RODI water) and a great skimmer (possibly over skimming?).
I forgot to mention that I've also been using DT (about a capfull every 3 days) since I added the two clams.
I appreciate the info on the difficulty of the Maxima Clams. I was so taken by it's color at the LRS.
I guess I just watch and wait?

geckopsu

Originally Posted by krull001
Most clams do not like a sandy bottom.... you need to move it up in the tank on a rock or flat stone ASAP!!!!!! Clams need a solid spot to anchor down to!! plus bristle worms will hide under the clam down on the sand and keep closed up and will die very soon!!! Move it now!! the higher the better in the tank the need alot of light aswell
Krull, thanks for the tip. The Maxima has been out of the sand for a couple weeks now (possibly too much damage has already been done?). The Derasa has been in the sand since I got him (he doesn't seem to mind) but I'll move him right away. If your looking at the pic I attached previously, the Maxima (tiny) is on the live rock -- left side of the pic and slightly right of the leather. The Derasa (in the sand) is just to the left of the Green Star Polyps.

scsinet

Yeah watch and wait is about the best I can think of. Maybe someone else who has more experience with Maximas can chime in.
It's not possible to overskim. The more skimming the better.
I can't imagine that any damage done while in the sand would be causing this.
It's possible you have it too close to the light or under too much flow. Try moving it around and see if it gets any better.

1journeyman

Actually, small clams need more feeding; as they get bigger they derive more food from lights. Under 3 inches seem to be difficult to raise for this reason.
Try feeding it by taking it out of the tank and putting it in a bowl with some DT's. Let it feed for 30 minutes or so then place it back in the tank.
Hope that helps

volcom69

I have my clams on a sandy bottom nothing wrong with that u can even take like some sort of rubber dish and burry it in the sand to but ur clam in, but having it on the sand will not hurt anything. If the lighting isnt strong enough then yes that can.

dogstar

Tridacna maxima should be acclimated to lighting and placed in the rocks in a way that they can fully open without rubing their mantal on the rocks, this can irritate them. They ( T. crocea also ) bore their foot into the rock for stediness and protection from parisites that can enter from the foot. When newly aquired they should be placed on a small rock, low in the tank so not to light shock them. As they adjust you can place the clam and small rock as desired...also makes it easy to remove for feeding. Once attached to a small rock, its OK to place it or leave it in the sand if thats were you want it if lighting is enough at that depth.
As Journeyman said, small clams depend more on filter feeding foods than light but as they get older/biger they require more lighting than food. But still good to countinue feeding them.
IMO, your levels are good but S.G. and Cal. is a little low.

ginarox

i have two crocea clams,and there beaded into the sand,,and so far so good,,in fact they have really grown since i got them....the colors of the crocea`s are very pretty,,but my camera really stinks,,,,some day i will get a new one...and then i will show you the true colors of these guys,,,they are gorgeous,,,there one of my favorite things in my aquarium,,,thanks and have a great day...

bsd230

Originally Posted by GeckoPSU
Thanks for your quick reply!
I've way overshot my budget for the aquarium this year, so $67 items is going to have to be the high end for me for quite a while.
The SG is at 1.023 (I stated in the original post "sal. 1.023" still learning correct terminology.
Also the Nitrates have been down to 0 for about 2 months now. I owe it to 90 lbs of pre-cured live rock, water changes (with RODI water) and a great skimmer (possibly over skimming?).
I forgot to mention that I've also been using DT (about a capfull every 3 days) since I added the two clams.
I appreciate the info on the difficulty of the Maxima Clams. I was so taken by it's color at the LRS.
I guess I just watch and wait?

I would increase the DTs as well, I have a 105 gallon with a Ultra Crocea and a T. Gigas and 15 corals and an long tentacle anenome and put 5 caps 2x a week.

catawaba

***) Clams needs some nitrates as part of their diet. The DT's in a bowl for 30 minutes is a good idea. Are you sure the tangs aren't picking at it? Gentle water flow and a solid base are appreciated by Maximas. The foot may be damaged.....Best wishes.

firedog

For my two cents:
Some clams like derasa are sand dwellers. Crocea and maxima are rock dwellers. I hear most people recommend placing clams on a flat rock, even if you are placing them in the sand. You can then bury the rock. As stated above, they will attach to the rock. Also make sure you get the clam in one spot and leave it there. I know you didn't say you were moving it, but that causes stress for the clam and will cause problems.
Some nitrates might help too.

geckopsu

Wow, a lot of great tips. I will definitely try the bowl with the DTs tonight. As far as the nitrates go, I'm not too sure how to raise the level a little bit. I suppose I could do 10% water changes every 4 weeks rather than my usual 20%. I'll also bring the SG up to 1.025 at the next water change.
Thanks for your help everyone. I'm hoping it's not too late for the little guy.

reefkprz

do you have halide lighting? or I should say enough light.
plus clams are one of the things that should have a truly aged tank. some reccomend a year before trying. good luck.

geckopsu

I have 2x175w 14k Mh bulbs and 2 actinic bulbs.
Update - the Maxima is getting worse. I havn't seen his mantle stick out for days and he's just slightly open. How do you know when a clam is dead?