mean chromis

jimmy g

I have 2 green chromis in my 55 gallon tank at the moment and the larger one is keeping the smaller one in the corner and is he moves then he just chases him back up there. What should I do about this to make it stop and if i add any other fish will this chromis pick on them also?
Thanks for the advise
James

jb rekit

I'd say throw a couple more of them in there and see what happens. I have 6 of them and they are all different sizes. One is very large.
Also, do you have much rockwork / hiding places? That might help too.

spsfreak100

I've had bad luck with trying to school chromis (in other words, have more than 4 chromis). I've actually seen very few tanks which have successfully housed a school of green chromis for longer than a year.
Chromis are much more aggressive towards others of the same species than they are with other fish. As you know, these chromis are naturally found in groups of thousands. Within the thousands you may have around 50 dominant specimens "hearding" the group. In the wild, a hierarchy is formed. In our aquariums, this hierarchy needs to be built again. During this time many specimens may be badly hurt.
I recently added a school of 9 Australian green chromis to my aquarium. Over a well later I'm down to 5 green chromis. Many of the larger individuals were very aggressive with eachother for floating food particles. In three of the four death cases, the dominant individual will nip at the fish until it "Goes away" -- this usually means when the fish is an outcast or when the fish is forced into the overflow.
So if i add one or 2 more will this stop the fighting?
You cannot gurentee these fish will stop fighting if you add two more individuals into the aquarium. You may be lucky and end up with 4 happy green chromis, or, you may end up with no chromis after the first month.
Graham

a9chooch

i had 3 green chromises and only one made it.the other 2 were killed by the one i have.id say keep one and get rid of the other.:happyfish

jnc

We have 4... The smallest of which is half the size of the next larger. They get along great, school together and all... Occasionally, the little one gets picked on, but they get over it quickly.
I'd recommend getting a couple more...
Here's a shot of mine... The little guy is between the three at the bottom. :jumping:

jimmy g

Im still confused....I think I am going to get rid of one...which one should i get rid of? I dont want to get rid of the aggresive one because thats the one who doesnt have frade fins....If i get rid of the other one will this chromis pick on the tank mates when i add them?

nicky1.8t

mine where like your but once i added a 3rd one they chased him for a few days b ut now there all like 3 peas in a pod

jimmy g

Can i take the beat up one out and then add more fish without the rick of the chromis picking on them also?.....i dont mean to be a pain but asap because i might be going within the hour

jimmy g

I just seperated them and put them in differant tanks....Thanks for the replys though i love this site :D