Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

silencio530

over alll i thought it turned out to be one of the coolest diy things i have done ...except for my canopy that was also made by me ....total cos was about 15$
and the scrubb filter about onother 15$
lest just hope it works the way it is supposed to

santamonica

Congrats on finishing your scrubber! Questions:
1. What size is the screen
2. How big is the tank
3. Are you using the tank light for the scrubber?

silencio530

Originally Posted by SantaMonica
http:///forum/post/2868971
Congrats on finishing your scrubber! Questions:
1. What size is the screen
2. How big is the tank
3. Are you using the tank light for the scrubber?
the screen is about hmmmmm id say about 7x8
on a 55 gallon ?
and nah im not using the tank light i just havent gone to the store and bought my lights ..i might go tomorow morning ....any suggestions?

silencio530

my main concern was getting it to work properly in that 2.5 gallon and having good flow ..then i was going to wory about the lights

gnorman

SantaMonica,
I finally took the plunge...
Background: 150DT, 30Gsump, clean sheet 15x11, maxijet1200, 2 23par floodlights, 1 jbj up and running for 2 1/2 weeks.
I was wondering if you could give a few pointers. I know the pics are not the best. I will have to try to get more during daylight and with the lights off. Let me know if you happen to see anything. Thanks

silencio530

Originally Posted by GNorman
http:///forum/post/2869046
SantaMonica,
I finally took the plunge...
Background: 150DT, 30Gsump, clean sheet 15x11, maxijet1200, 2 23par floodlights, 1 jbj up and running for 2 1/2 weeks.
I was wondering if you could give a few pointers. I know the pics are not the best. I will have to try to get more during daylight and with the lights off. Let me know if you happen to see anything. Thanks
man if i havd a sump ready i would have made this scrubber a sump version ..thats a great lookin scrubber hope mine works

mie

Took me over two hours to read this entire post last night
. Very facinating and informative. I am going to set one up on a friends hair alage infested tank and one solar unit on my koi pond.

santamonica

the screen is about hmmmmm id say about 7x8 on a 55 gallon? and nah im not using the tank light i just havent gone to the store and bought my lights ..i might go tomorow morning ....any suggestions?
Screen is correct size if lit on both sides. I'd get 2 23W CFL daylight floodlights and clip one on each side:
http://www.*** No links to external commercial sites
man if i havd a sump ready i would have made this scrubber a sump version ..thats a great lookin scrubber hope mine works
Keep in mind the advantage of above-tank: the pods drain into your display are totally live.
I am going to set one up on a friends hair alage infested tank and one solar unit on my koi pond.
Ok this will be a chance for some great pics!
150DT, 30Gsump, clean sheet 15x11, maxijet1200, 2 23par floodlights, 1 jbj up and running for 2 1/2 weeks.
Welcome to the boat! Comments...
150 display needs 150 square inch screen lit on both sides. Do you have a light on the second side? I see some kind of PC light on the right.. can you move it and put one of the CFLs there instead? Also, aim the CFLs more down toward the middle of the screen.
What "JBJ" do you have? Timer? Also I notice a bald area by the lights... this is usually from not turning the lights off for 6 hours. Are you timing the lights?
Filter sock: I'd remove it, and let the food circulate though the system to be eaten. Bio balls: Same. I'd remove them slowly, 1/4 per week. Your scrubber will do the filtering of the balls, withough trapping food like them (and like the sock too).
Anybody have N and P measurements?

santamonica

Reminder Of The Day: Number Of Lights/Screens
One-light between two-screens: Makes better use of the light, but leaves the other sides of the screens unused (in the dark), thus wasting half your flow. The big advantage is cleaning: You can clean one screen, and leave the other in operation, which give you more consistent filtering.
Two-lights on one-screen: Makes better use of the screen (both sides are lit), but can waste light if not reflected properly. Advantages are (1) redundancy of the lights: If one goes out, you'll still have filtering until you can buy a replacement, and (2) higher performance for its size, since each side of the screen gets hit by light from both sides, especially right after cleaning when the algae is thin.
Best of both worlds: Multiple lights between two screens. Uses the most flow and power, but is always filtering, and will never go totally "dark" unexpectedly.

culp

do you guys have any idea how long it would take for some one to read all of this threader? it would take till the new year!

mie

Originally Posted by Culp
http:///forum/post/2870379
do you guys have any idea how long it would take for some one to read all of this threader? it would take till the new year!

Like i said earlier, it took me over two hours.

silencio530

it took me about 1 month just for the idea while reading this to finish it closeley paying attention to how everythigs set up ....not alot of people have the sump less version ill tell you that lol and till now i did mine :p

silencio530

SantaMonica?...its been about 3 days today and i see nothing in my tank with the net? i have a desk lamp directly on it ..am i doing something wrong?...where the lamp hits there is algea in the sand at the bottom ...in my DT but not on the net

sly

It took me about a week before I saw anything... Light intensity is very important. If you are using regular incandescent lights then I would recommend switching to CFL bulbs.

santamonica

Yes, throw the desk lamp away. Go to the store and get two 23W CFL Floodlights, of 5100K or 6500K color. Even more wattage is better. Clip one light on each side of the screen, and aim the light at the middle of the screen.
After you install these and turn them on, start counting from Day 0. You will be happy at Day 7.