Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

santamonica

Nice construction. No fan needed unless you want cooling or evaporation.
Screen looks like 12 X 12. Being one-sided, should be good for up to a 75g. Can you move the screen closer to the light? Can you put a light on the other side? What type of bulb?

drakken

Originally Posted by SantaMonica
http:///forum/post/2933879
Nice construction. No fan needed unless you want cooling or evaporation.
Screen looks like 12 X 12. Being one-sided, should be good for up to a 75g. Can you move the screen closer to the light? Can you put a light on the other side? What type of bulb?
The screen is more like 10 X 11. We can probably center it and add another light which is a good idea since it's a 105 gal tank + another 20 or so in the sump.
The bulb is a spiral PC 23 watt but we plan to get the floodlights you mention on the first page. Everything you see in the constuction was stuff we had laying around (except for a few fittings) so we are still tweaking it.
One idea I'd like your opinion on: The powerhead has an optional fitting for an air inlet hose. Our thinking is that adding that would help turf grow faster. Do you think this will help?

nitschke65

Hello all of my scrubbing buddies. It's been a while, But, after just reading a comment by MR. X in another thread, I felt compelled to check the nitrates in my biocube 29 for the first time in a long time. Let me just say that some of the best advice I've gotten in this hobby came from the owner of my lfs. He said, "If everything looks good, stop testing, and stop worrying." I also need to point out that people are going to jump all over me when I post this, because my tank is overstocked. I know it is, but I've run into a few problems setting up my new 75 gal. which will be the future home of a few of these guys. That being said...
My biocube is currently being filtered by my custom turf scrubber in chamber two, there is also a ball of chaeto in the bottom af chamber two, and a bag of Chemi-pure Elite in chamber three. My protein skimmer stopped working two or three weeks ago. (My mushrooms and zoas have never looked better!) I also have some polyps, hammers, and galaxia. There's a few nassarius, and a few hermits, an emerald crab, and possibly a pepermint shrimp. There's a lawnmower blennie, two green chromis, a scarlet hawk, and a Potter's angel. I haven't cleaned my screen or done a water change in 2 weeks. This mornings readings. Ammonia - 0 Nitrites - 0 Nitrates - 0
Oh, hey Santa Monica, happy page 13!

sean48183

After 7 days I am just starting to get growth. Small dark brown spots are starting to grow. Suprised it took this long but maybe I will try the 27k bulbs. Here are some pics so far. You can see there is not much growth really.

santamonica

It's taking long because the screen is too smooth, and there is nothing to grab onto. This will be a concern later when you clean it, and there is nothing left again but the screen. The way to fix this is the lay a piece of plastic or rug canvas across it.
Light may also be a concern, but I'd have to see a pic of the light setup, and know the type of bulb.

sean48183

Alright went and got the plastic canvas but the holes in it were causing a problem with my set up do to the angle it is on. So I pulled out the carpet runner and sanded the crap out of it with 60 grit paper. Man this thing is so ruff I thought I was gonna cut my finger on it. I hope this will do the trick. If not I am going to have to try to stand this hole thing straight up and use the plastic canvas. Well wish me luck on getting some nasty algae goo.

sean48183

Only 12 hours after sanding this thing down and I am getting excellent brown growth on this thing. I guess it really was just too slick for the algae to grab hold of. Thanks for the heads up Santa Monica. Will post a pic in a few days and hopefully will have some real nasty stuff going on.

sly

Well I finally got around to cleaning my scrubber... Still looking good...

The tank is looking good also. It now seems to be staying cleaner on its own. My ORP has started rising again and is a 270mv without ozone. I'll see how things go after this cleansing.

I have been asked about my lighting setup and so I finally took a picture of the lid on my trash can scrubber. The bulbs do sit down in the scrubber as you can tell from the salt creep but everything is sealed with silicon and the socket base is wrapped with several layers of electrical tape to keep out moisture.

And the scrubber with the surge bucket attachment on the side...

Finally... I don't know if it's related but as my tank levels have improved lately, my Mandarin is coming out more in the day time. This is the first picture I have ever been able to get of him in the open... and I've had him for over 2 years.

The live rock and the substrate both have zero algae on them... "Steve" couldn't be happier...

I'll do another water test in a few days after things have settled from cleaning the scrubber.

santamonica

Results of the Week:
jtremblay on the MD site: "the last few strands of HA have disappeared from my 40's display, and the build-up of detritus is continuing to go down, despite there being no skimmer on this tank."
Skunkbudfour20 on --: "Yes i built one, Yes i am running it, and YES my nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and phosphates all dropped to almost 0 within the first 3 weeks, and yes algae growth in my display has come to a stop, and slowly recedes... I am still running my skimmer, even though it doesnt seem to be doing AS much, its still doing something for now."
Worley on the AS site: "As for lights, I have seen an improvement in the type of algae growing and in the overall amount of growth since changing bulbs to the lower 3500K colour temp. I've been getting more hair [on the screen], macro algaes, some interesting dark green very very long hair-like algae (6"+ long). The cyanobacteria [in the display] is nearly completely gone, along with less brown slime algae, both in the tank and on the screen. And best of all, still no water changes, nearly 5 months on, with good calcium, dKH and PH. I've easily saved the price of the equipment used to make the scrubber from not having used an entire bucket of salt, and everything in the tank looks more healthy than I've ever seen in a marine tank I've kept before, I'm loving it, and so is my girlfriend!"

santamonica

Update of the Day: Freshwater Cleanings
You absolutely must use freshwater, in your sink, when cleaning your screen once a week. If your weekly cleaning gets delayed, at the very least turn the pump off and pour RODI over the screen to kill the pods. Otherwise the pods start growing underneath, eating the algae, then falling off into your water. You will not see the holes they make unless the algae is very thin. It becomes an issue of the scrubber not removing as much nitrate and phosphate, because the pods eat the algae you've grown, and then re-introduce the nutrients back into the water. FW of course, kills the pods. SW does not. So use FW weekly. And don't worry about getting rid of all the pods; you won't. The next day there will be millions more.

drakken

Here's what our scrubber looks like after 5 days. Does it matter that the water doesn't cover the enitre screen?

santamonica

Well, it matters in that you are only getting half the filtering. That may be enough, maybe not. Why not try opening the slot more?

santamonica

Part 3 of 7:
Taken from "The Food of Reefs, Part 3: Phytoplankton" by Eric Borneman
http://www.***
"Phytoplankton are the major source of primary [food] production in the ocean, and one of the most important driving forces of global ecology. In fact, phytoplankton production influences all life, by being at the lowest rings of the food chain.
"The reason [phytoplankton] are so important on a regional or global scale is simply by virtue of the fact that the upper 200 [meters] of oceanic waters is filled with phytoplankton and covers over 70% of the earth's surface.
"What eats phytoplankton? In the water column, zooplankton [food] are without question the primary consumers of phytoplankton. Zooplankton grazers vary according the area and the time of year, but include primarily ciliates, copepods, amphipods, and tintinnids.
"Stony corals are generally not well adapted to the sieve or filter type feeding that characterizes the soft corals (Fabricius et al. 1995, 1998). They are, however, well suited to the capture of zooplankton prey.
"It is of paramount importance to recognize that the biomass of potential grazers [which need food] in an aquarium is many times what it would be in the same volume of water or surface area as the bottom of oceans or on reefs, and also, that the availability of water column borne food is many times greater in the ocean than in an aquarium.
"Perhaps most importantly, is the almost ubiquitous interaction between bacteria and phytoplankton. Phytoplankton release dissolved organic substances, and bacteria utilize them as nutrient sources. Most phytoplankton cells, especially large ones, are coupled nearly continuously with coatings of bacteria [which are consuming the dissolved organic substances].
"The amounts of phytoplankton present in reef aquariums are not known but are probably considerable. However, they are also probably rapidly removed by grazing and export devices [skimmers].

drakken

Originally Posted by SantaMonica
http:///forum/post/2940695
Well, it matters in that you are only getting half the filtering. That may be enough, maybe not. Why not try opening the slot more?

I opened the slot but in the process of removing the screen I accidentally tore it so I had to make a new one. The flow is better now. I also temporarily attached the old screen behind the new one in hopes of helping to speed up the growth on the new screen. The new light bulbs come tomorrow so I will have light on both sides soon.