Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

desertdawg

Mine is finally growing the bright green algae, not a lot just some quarter size spots on both the front and the back side.
I'll get some pictures in a day or two when I pull it out to clean it!

happyfeet

Originally Posted by SantaMonica
http:///forum/post/3147170
Can't help without seeing pics. Just make sure the screen goes down into the water.
I actually got it to work perfect. I remade it and its currently my quietiest thing attached to my tank!
I'll post pictures of my set up hopefully this weekend. (Internet I ordered isn't working and I can only post at work.)

santamonica

Successes Update:
Jlinzmaier on the -- site: "An ATS is the easiest and the cheapest DIY project I've ever done. Not to mention it has been more effective at nutrient management than carbon dosing, and has only affected the corals positively (no chance of stripping nutrients too fast or too low as you might run into with carbon source dosing.) The maintenance of it only takes 5-10 minutes once or twice a week. Total cost for the project was no more than $30 and it took about 45 min to build."
Pistolshrimp on the SARK site: "i have one of these in my sump, not eleborate though jus got one cfl spotlight on it, but they do a good job, hardly eva have to wipe my glass, it transfers 90% of the algea growth from my tank to the screen."
Trichome on the CR site: "I installed one on my 29g tank and it is working better than my AquaC Remora that is rated for up to 75g. Best part about it is its cheap as hell to install and i was able to remove a pump from my set up to save money on electricity."
Jennyfish on the AP site: "i use an ATS but i also use a skimmer, i do find since i added the ATS i have no phosphates, and my water is crystal clear with no bad algaes growing."
Schnitm on the algae scrubber site: "Our friend was moving to a new house, and her 90 gallon system wasn't moving with her. So it took 10 hours to move everything [to my daughter's room] and we're just about to put the fish back in. I decide I'll test the water first. I have never seen a nitrate test change color so fast. By the time I'd finished shaking the vial it had maxed out. After some RO/DI dillution I finally got a reading along with some others from my Red Sea Marine Lab kit:
Nitrates: 300
Nitrite: 0.3
Ammonia: 0.25
Phosphate: 5.0
After freaking out and figuring I'd done something wrong and effectively killed my daughter's new aquarium, I decided I'd better test the water the fish were still in. It had come straight from the top of the tank that morning. I got something like:
Nitrates: 400
Nitrite: 0.4
Seems the fish had been living in this and we'd just dilluted it some with the water change from toping off the tank. 3 anemones and a dozen soft corals were living in this too. So, in go the fish. I'm running around trying to figure out what to do. The protien skimmer is dead and hasn't worked for more than a year (thanks for telling me now!). The LFS store is closed because their moving too. I'd been "priming" an ATS screen in my shop using wastewater from our Bio Cube. It had been going for about 2 weeks and was nicely green but not thick at all yet. What the heck...I slap it in the sump and start it running with 4 CFL floods from WalMart. Then to bed to have nightmares of my daughter waking to a tank full of death.
To my pleasant surprise, the next morning everything was alive and, apparently, well! I go to work installing the hood, chiller, etc. By that evening I took another water sample and got:
Nitrates: 200
Nitrite: 0.2+
Everything seemed fine. I'm wondering if I'd messed up the readings on Thursday. Saturday was mostly a day off. The ATS had grown thick already so I scraped it. Just a few measurements:
Nitrates: not measured
Nitrite: 0.2
Phosphate: not measured
Last night's water parameters:
Nitrates: 15 (I kid you not. 15. Checked this over and over. The 10X dillution I started with showed undetectable. I'd needed a 10X dillution before, just to get a reading. Got this 15 on straight tank water.)
Nitrite: 0.2
Ammonia: trace
Phosphate: 3.0
Thursday night I thought I was in the middle of a slow motion trainwreck, but by today all looks good. Thaks to all who have contributed! You lead me down the right path.

S

supersaltwater

I have Whisper Filters the walmart ones that hang on the side and spit water forward. I'm going to customize it so it has an Algae Scrubber with 23 watt cfl 2700k. I'll post pics too.

supersaltwatr

Originally Posted by supersaltwater
http:///forum/post/3148958
I have Whisper Filters the walmart ones that hang on the side and spit water forward. I'm going to customize it so it has an Algae Scrubber with 23 watt cfl 2700k. I'll post pics too.
ok so I did the plan I said. I'll post the results.

desertdawg

Just scraped mine last night, I got aboutg a cup of nice green algae off of it, water params are
Nitrates 2
trites 0
amonia 0
I did find my calcium at 240 but I think that was because I had not done any water changes, so I did a 25 gallon change, and rearranged the rocks some. I did hook up a canister filter to help clear the dust storm I made with the sand but I will probably turn it off for now to see how things go.
No pics, my desktop crashed (hardware) and my 10 year old laptop won't talk to my camera yet!

happyfeet

Mine is finally set up. Thought I'd post some pictures.

I've since changed the layout a bit, The lights are no longer clipped onto the side of the sump, I installed a board that goes over the tank and the lights hang down and are much closer to the sheet.
I'm also going to change the drain and two 90 elbows and have the drain release the water pointed up just above the water level hopefully to cut down on the insane amount of noise it makes as it bubbles.

sikpupy

I have a question.... Going to Michales to get some plastic canvas, they have two types. They have two hole sizes, 7 and 10. 10 is the finer mesh and 7 is bigger. Which would be better, bigger holes, smaller holes or does it even matter?

santamonica

Happy: Actually, if you can just use more flow on the screen, you won't have to overflow as much. Try changing the screen to 2 layers of roughed up canvas; widen the slot to 1/4", and it will probably use up all your overflow.
Sik: Doesn't matter, just rough it up:

sikpupy

K, thanks, did that. I am now working on the piping to get an even flow and "quiet". First attempts were not pretty, lol. I had/have the water input directly above the slots and it all went stright down the middle of the screen. Also, i think the slot was too wide for my 9" wide "cut" prtion of screen. I used 3 dremel cut off disks for thickness. I think I will try one, move the water input and see what happens.

santamonica

No need to move the input. Just get a smaller slot. Once the screen is in, it will even out. And, once algae grows up into the slot, it will be self-correcting (the algae will fill the big gaps).

santamonica

Update: The big reef site has un-blocked "scrubber", "algaescrubber", and other scrubber-related words.
Update: Algae on rocks: If you are building a scrubber to help remove algae from your rocks, don't remove the algae from the rocks manually. Let it stay there so it can do some filtering while your scrubber starts growing. The algae on the rocks will start disappearing after you have cleand off about three scrubber screens. It's also fun to watch it disappear.

sikpupy

"Algea" question.....
You have the poster of the sea making algea which eats the No's. So, it can only grow so much on pilings, boats.....etc. Whats the cycle of the algea itself in nature? What happens to the exces or cumulitve die-off? How does the sea deal with it? We scrape it off ans send it down the sink, the sea.....???

posiden

Originally Posted by sikpupy
http:///forum/post/3152941
"Algea" question.....
You have the poster of the sea making algea which eats the No's. So, it can only grow so much on pilings, boats.....etc. Whats the cycle of the algea itself in nature? What happens to the exces or cumulitve die-off? How does the sea deal with it? We scrape it off ans send it down the sink, the sea.....???

Algae is not the oceans only source of nutrient export. The ocean is far more diverse and complex then our small tanks. However, where do we get our algae eaters from?......The oceans. Algae grows on reefs there is just a lot of fish and critters that live there that eat it. A large schol of tangs will wreak havoc on the algae. Now you also must consider the water itself, volume, the fact that there are bands or layers of water floating and sliding on top of one another. The list is just huge.

sikpupy

Hmm, okay... Skimmer = waves on the beach, algea scrubber = algea and phytoplankton = phyto in our tanks!? Well, without a skimmer going how do we keep the phyto going? I know this is another topic, but, if we can use phyto to keep the No's down, all the mnore to be able to feed the tank along with the scrubber. Okay, so I will make this a scrubber question, lol.
How well does, or does not, the scrubber support the phytoplankton, and help it grow?

posiden

Originally Posted by sikpupy
http:///forum/post/3154038
Hmm, okay... Skimmer = waves on the beach, algea scrubber = algea and phytoplankton = phyto in our tanks!? Well, without a skimmer going how do we keep the phyto going? I know this is another topic, but, if we can use phyto to keep the No's down, all the mnore to be able to feed the tank along with the scrubber. Okay, so I will make this a scrubber question, lol.
How well does, or does not, the scrubber support the phytoplankton, and help it grow?
While I am not the best to answer this, but IMO.
You don't use a skimmer to culture phyto. That would be counter productive.
A skimmer will remove phyto from the water column in your display. So, a scrubber and no skimmer would = more phyto in the tank longer. Without a skimmer you will also be leaving other food sources in the water.
Just keep in mind that not all systems are the same. Every tank runs different and every tank will need diferent things. Not everyone runs soely on a scrubber.

santamonica

No phyto in the tank. It just means that the amount of algae on a scrubber is large, just like the amount of phyto in the ocean is large. Same end result.
By the way, the "skimming" effect of the beach is negligible, compared to the thousands of cubic miles of ocean.

happyfeet

Growth on my scrubber.
It's only growing in the lower portion of the scrubber, found that funny. I figure it will grow in eventually.