Melted support bar on my bow front.

sir ryan

I have had my tank set up for around 5 years, and I've always used a 250w metal halide with PCF actinics. The issue is that the halide light is right above the support bar. It gets hot, but I've never had a problem with it. A few weeks ago, the light finally died and I replaced the whole fixture with a similar 250w MH and T5HO fixture. within 15 minutes, the light had melted the center brace to the point where the plastic was drooping noticeable. I have some LPS coral and they are doing poorly because I've been mostly without a MH for a few weeks (the old light would sporadically come on and off, with it being off 90% of the time), and now that I have a light, I can't turn it one for fear of my tank breaking. I would have preferred a set-up with 2x150w MH to side step the issue, but I couldn't find a good 36" fixture for the right price and didn't think this would be an issue as it is essentially the same setup as before.
My question is, can anybody think of a way to reinforce the brace so that the heat given off from the MH would not cause issue? I've thought of cutting out the brace in the center and bolting in a piece of aluminum to span the gap with nylon screws. Is this feasible? If it is, should I drain half the water before cutting the brace out?
The light is only about 4 inches above the support bar. If I could replace it with something transparent, that would be a major plus. Has anyone tried using wires to "sew" the gap?

florida joe

if you can live with the way the brace looks the way it is just wrap it with heat resistant tape. you can pick up a roll at lows or home depot

bang guy

I have seen a couple people replace the center brace with two titanium braided wires. The execution looked simple but I don't know where to get that type of wire. I think they were leaders for saltwater fishing.
Be sure to get the wire really tight before cutting out the brace.

florida joe

You are right Bang it is used for leaders, I also believe you can get the wire at craft stores as it is sometimes used for necklaces

sir ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/393495/melted-support-bar-on-my-bow-front#post_3501026
if you can live with the way the brace looks the way it is just wrap it with heat resistant tape. you can pick up a roll at lows or home depot
I hadn't thought of that. Is this pretty safe? I would be worried about the plastic support melting and stretching beneath the tape and the tank bowing out. It is a bow front tank so it wouldn't be very obvious if this was happening. I'm not concerned with the aesthetics of the tape, just the structural issues that may arise.

sir ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/393495/melted-support-bar-on-my-bow-front#post_3501028
I have seen a couple people replace the center brace with two titanium braided wires. The execution looked simple but I don't know where to get that type of wire. I think they were leaders for saltwater fishing.
Be sure to get the wire really tight before cutting out the brace.
Thanks. I might have to try this if the heat tape idea won't work. Would it be a good idea to cut the center of the support out and glue in a piece of glass to span the gap, or would I have issues getting it to bond correctly?

bang guy

Bonding would be an issue I think. If you do it make sure to use tempered glass.
Joe gave me another idea. If you created a tent with a piece of reflective aluminum / it would keep the brace cool and also reflect that light into the water where it belongs.

sir ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/393495/melted-support-bar-on-my-bow-front#post_3501038
Bonding would be an issue I think. If you do it make sure to use tempered glass.
Joe gave me another idea. If you created a tent with a piece of reflective aluminum / it would keep the brace cool and also reflect that light into the water where it belongs.
Yes! I think I'll make an aluminum tent and, with the ends open for air flow, I'll use the high temp tape to wrap it to the support.

florida joe

Make sure to take an accurate measurement front to back of your tank and check constantly the first day after the fix to check for any additional bowing

sir ryan

So, the damage was done it would seem. I made an aluminum tent and as I went to use the high temp tape to wrap the support it snapped right in the middle. I barely touched it. Now I have even more problems. I can't find what brand tank it is, as there are apparently many 46 g bow fronts out there, and their dimensions are all slightly different. I am trying to tell if it is bowing out at all, but I don't even know what the measurements are supposed to be! I know that Marineland makes a replacement frame, but I'm not sure if it will even fit my tank because of the brand issue. I have to assume that the support was stretched prior to breaking, so I can't even push it together to get a measurement. I bought the tank March of '08 from Petsmart; it has oak trim and clear silicone. I am measuring 36" long exactly and about 20 11/16" tall, if that can help ID the brand. For what it's worth, I checked all four sides with a level, and they all seemed very straight. On a positive note, the tent triangle works great to dissipate/ reflect the heat.
I just really don't want to buy a new tank, I'm a broke college kid. If anyone can tell me what brand tank it might be and what the dimensions are supposed to be, I would really appreciate it.

bang guy

Try one of the recommendations listed above. Now that it's broken, I believe it can be safely fixed and even better that it was before.
I would suggest lowering the water level as much as is practical until it's fixed.

florida joe

Can you post a picture of the top of your tank?
This is what I would do at this point. I would go out and buy a small length of small diameter pvc and to pvc 90s and pvc glue I would mock up the pvc so the elbows fit tight at the front and back to the tank glue the pvc pieces (straight length and two 90s) together and place this tight fitting temporary brace on your tank to prevent any bowing. Now just cut out the broken brace and install a new piece of whatever material you choose

bang guy

I like the titanium wire idea because if the brace is getting so much light that it's melting then it was blocking a huge amount of light. That is just a massive waste of energy.

2quills

U can cut out the bad section then pick up a piece of alluminum flat bar, drill a couple holes on either end of the bar and in the brace then attach the bar with nuts and bolts. You can even paint it black to match if you wish. But pics do help when it comes to suggesting ideas.

sir ryan

Thanks for all the help everybody. I know it's not much, but I think this repair job will do the trick.
http://imgur.com/a/Jy6Ag#qtRrm
I ended up getting a piece of aluminum and nylon bolts, nuts and washers to make my own brace. It was only $7.50, you can't beat that!