Mesh Covers

<3scopas55

Hi again everyone! I was just wondering if anyone else has done this before. I know everyone is always concerned about their tanks getting enough gas exchange but also dont want to see any carpet surfers

A lot of people have been using egg crate on top of their tanks but the spaces can still be too large and certain small fish can fit through the holes.
I was just looking around my basement for any ideas of how to cover my tank and I came across one of those mesh wire lids that are used to cover the tops of reptile and hamster cages.
I used a utility knife and cut off the metal frame and then used scissors to cut out spaces for my intake and outtake tubes etc. and it seems to fit perfectly. The edges just sit along the inner lip of my aquarium and I also fashioned two "brackets" on each end to secure it from accidental falls into the tank. I used two lids from 20g long hamster tanks I had to cover my 55g reef and I really think its a good idea for others to try. The mesh is pretty fine (1/5in by 1/5in probably) so even really small fish can not get out and it is coated with polyurethane paint so it is heat resistant (probably for reptile lights). My only concern would be to make sure none of the snipped edges touch the water as they may rust over time if let sitting submerged.
Anyone else think this sounds like a good solution?

120reefer

Yeah it sounds like a good idea, the only thing I would worry about would be rust.. remember it being that close to the water you might get splashing from your return tube if the water is heavily agitated like mine, and water will splash and that rust can drip down into your tank! I had the same problem with my DIY stand for my halide setup. After losing a blue dot jawfish,
i needed a solution as well. I had an old minnow seine (1/4" nylon) laying around still new in the box, cut it to size and fastened it on there... works like a charm!

meowzer

I agree with worrying about the rust part....there will be a lot of moisture hitting it
You might want to look into pond netting....

<3scopas55

Yea, I am going to keep an eye on the edges. Do you think there might be anything i could coat the edges with so they dont rust? If not then Ill just figure out an alternative when the time comes.