Metal clamps in sump....

tx reef

Is it harmful to corals and fish to use metal clamps under water in a sump?
I used flex hose to connect my return pump and skimmer pump. They are the circular clamps that you use a screwdriver to tighten up.
Thanks.

hot883

Jason, I would put metals in the water. They will rust and I don't think that would be healthy for the fish especially inverts.

hot883

Originally Posted by TX Reef
What should I use to secure the flex hose to the pumps?
It should be a tight enough fit not to come off.

46bfinga

Originally Posted by TX Reef
What should I use to secure the flex hose to the pumps?

use plastic tyraps,you can find them in the electrical section of home depot or lowes.

fishstix4u

probably going to get yelled at for this.. but my 75 has a mag 9 with clear tubing and i didnt want to use a clamp... well thank god after 2 weeks it poped off while i was 3 feet away.. everything got wet.. my gfci tripped.. but i was right there.. now there is a metel clamp on there.. and its rusty... very rusty.. but on the advice of my friends, brother, and lfs. i left it.. my tank is fine.. my brother and 3 friends all have the same thing and all very healthy and the fish store uses it too.... but i agree.. i wouldnt think it to be safe.. but yet we all are fine.. so use your best judgment but remember.. my hose poped off and i had water every where.. imagine i wasnt home....

hot883

Originally Posted by FishStix4u
probably going to get yelled at for this.. but my 75 has a mag 9 with clear tubing and i didnt want to use a clamp... well thank god after 2 weeks it poped off while i was 3 feet away.. everything got wet.. my gfci tripped.. but i was right there.. now there is a metel clamp on there.. and its rusty... very rusty.. but on the advice of my friends, brother, and lfs. i left it.. my tank is fine.. my brother and 3 friends all have the same thing and all very healthy and the fish store uses it too.... but i agree.. i wouldnt think it to be safe.. but yet we all are fine.. so use your best judgment but remember.. my hose poped off and i had water every where.. imagine i wasnt home....
Well, I am glad it has worked for you and your friends. I wouldn't think that it is safe, but hey :notsure:

fishstix4u

dont get me wrong........ i agree.. but i have had it like that for 2 months.. my brothers on 8 months and the fish store is on 10 years

hot883

I think I would be worried about harmful chemicals/oils on the metal and or if it contains copper.

motocross

when i first started i used metal hose clamps.. not submerged mind u but in the sump.. i used the stainless steel clamps.. they stil rusted..
anyway i would only use the plastic tie wraps !!!
they work great...
Joe

fishstix4u

i did use the stainless and they rusted... but guys... does copper rust? there is not copper in these clamps.. and as far as the reast of the minerals none are harmfull.. i still have to agree i dont like it.. but i also dont like the flooding.. and i have never heard of any one having a problem from them but lots have done it.. so mine stays.. and so does my water in my tank

joncat24

they make plastic hose clamps now that work like the metal ones.you can get them at the two doctors website>>>

stdreb27

those hose clamps like the ones they use on cars are galvenized they aren't very good for you. they are toxic. but you know it prolly isn't enough to really effect your fish.

fishstix4u

actually galvanized will harm your fish in a big way, but they wont rust... but these arent out motive grade.. there actually stainless steal and you can find them in the home depot for spas and hot tubes...

fender

There are various grades of stainless steel containing different alloys and have various degrees of resistance to corrosion/oxidation. Any metal (except maybe titanium) will break down eventually in a saltwater tank. I have heard that some algaes like iron.
I have used zip/plastic ties successfully - double them up with the clasp 180degrees offset. Use pliers to pull'em tight.
On a side note
My mag 7 has exposed (rusty) metal screws, my maxijets have metal shafts.

boozzbro

if yo0u want to keep stainless steel in salt water you need the type called sea-cure. its a non copper based stainless alloy. its the lowest grade of stainless that wont corrode in seawater applications.
you could also get chromoly (4301 i think) or the equal to that.
other than those types of metals or better off sticking with plastic.