MH bulb on HPS ballast.

barracuda

Hello all,
i'm currently using Iwasaki 250w bulb on my setup. Ballast is made for street lights(This is what are most israeli reefers do). Yesterday i have opened the ballast case to see how it's wired and found folowing. Ballast itself has to wiring diagrams:
1 - for HPS bulb
2 - for HPS/MH bulb
Both wirings are completely different as well as straters, that should be used are different. So by now mine is wired as HPS diagram shows. (and not HPS/MH one).
Well, bulb works OK' that's what i think. SPS growth rate is astronomic in my understandings. One side effect that i got is grows of algae on rocks and glass. I have to clean glass every day. Bulb is less than one year old.
Anyone can tell me what happens when you HPS ballast drives MH bulb. By the way other guys running other bulbs on their setups (BLV, XM, AB, double ended) using probably the same wiring as it comes this way from the factory.
Thanks in advance...
Dima.

bang guy

Originally posted by Barracuda
Anyone can tell me what happens when you HPS ballast drives MH bulb.

The Iwasaki 250 bulb isn't an MH, it's a Mercury Vapor bulb.

barracuda

Thanks for the help guys Skilos1, i'll try to getthat code for you.
What can you say about E-ballast. It's very expensive here in Israel. Our local company Metrolight produces them even for Icecap. So actually Icecaps are made my our company. What actuall pros you get with e-ballast? Energy saving, what else. I also heard that using 250w magnetic ballast you actually pay for 390watts of electricity. What about e-ballast???
Thanks.