mh bulbs - brands

keith gray

I have googled my eyeballs out and can't find what I'm looking for. I want to replace to 2 -250w 14k mh bulbs on my 75 gal.
I want to find an article or non-biased study on performance of brands to compare things like par or coral growth, etc.
Has anyone got anything or seen anything like this ?
HELP !!

btldreef

Try here:
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting
You might have to do some digging, but I have found Sanjay comparing brands in the past. He also has a way to tell you what your lamp will produce based on ballast, bulb, reflector. It's really interesting but can be a little hard to navigate.
You can also try these:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/feature.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2004/feature1.htm
Somewhere there is a site that compares what different bulbs look like on the same tank side by side, I'm still trying to find that for you as well because it also lists the PAR value of each bulb. It's nice when you can see PAR and actual look at the same time.

keith gray

Thanks for the quick reply. I will study this some. My LFS is telling me to get south pacific sunlight brand. Anybody had any luck with these ? I had "grow bulbs" by someone I can't remember, I saw not true growth though on my corals, lol

btldreef

I've never heard of them.
Are they double ended or singles?
For growth, 10K XM's were wonderful, but the color is putrid. 10K is usually better for growth than 14K, but the color just isn't there in a lot of the bulbs, 10K can be very yellow.
I've found 14K Ushio and 14K Phoenix bulbs to be the nicest. You get a good color and decent growth out of them without your tank looking like vomit green everywhere, which is what the XM's do.
What are you looking to grow, SPS, LPS?

meowzer

very interesting....I will be curious to see if anyone has used these...this is what it says about them

Description

Benefits:
South Pacific Sunlight (SPS) Metal Halide bulbs are designed to replicate the beautiful shimmering light of your fish and coral`s natural environment. These bulbs are specifically engineered to enhance the polyp extension, color, and growth of your corals. Unlike some other bulbs, SPS Metal Halide bulbs are manufactured with built-in igniters (starters) that allow them to be used with any type of ballast.
SPS Metal Halide bulbs are ideal for most Acroporas (SPS), Anemones, Clams, Hard Corals (LPS), Leathers, Mushrooms, Polyps, Soft Corals, and Xenia.
Available in 175 watt, 250 watt & 400 watt In your choice of:
Crisp Blue—10,000k representing 10-30 Ocean Depth Feet (ODF)
Mid Sea Blue—14,000k representing 30-60 Ocean Depth Feet (ODF)
Deep Sea Blue—20,000k representing 60-90 Ocean Depth Feet (ODF)

btldreef

Sounds like a good write up from the manufacturer to sell their product, LOL
I'm definitely interested to see if anyone is actually using these.

keith gray

Here is my list I have: frogspawn, hammer, toadstool, zoos, star polyps, candy cane, gallaxea, colt coral, monti and anenome.
I think thats it if I remember.
My current bulbs are 14k single ended, I don't have actinics so I enjoy some of the blue they give off. I thought about going to 20k since I don't have actinics but I may get some led actinics this year depending on money and I don't want to go 20k if I do.
I may get into some acropora this year not really sure yet. Since these bulbs need to be replaced only once every 9-12 months,
I want to get something I'll be happy with for that long time.
I'm with you, I hate the white, yellow, green look. I really enjoy the blue tint and shimmer.
I saw the ad that Meowzer posted on some other sites but I never know what to believe in an ad if you know what I mean.
I wonder if I decide not to get actinics and go with 20k instead if I would get a similar look and be happy ?

keith gray

I've been sitting here researching some more on line. The Radium 20k looks a little tempting too. I see mention on line of types of ballasts. One forum said don't use these bulbs on electronic ballasts. What the h@@#$ does that mean. I don't really know what kind of ballasts I even have, I guess I can look when I get home. I just know they were built under the tank in the display cabinet and they plug in, that's about it! How do you tell the difference in what type of ballasts you have ? Is there a label or something ?
thoughts experts ??!

btldreef

I honestly don't know that much about lights to be able to tell you what type of ballast you have. I really just know some good brands and Kelvin ratings, LOL. 2Quills, Acrylic and WangoTango are my go to guys for lighting questions.
Radiums are nice bulbs as well. I'd say the most popular bulb is the Phoenix 14K.

meowzer

I LOVE my phoenix 14k bulbs....No yellow at all, maybe a hint of blue, and I have excellent coral growth (lately) LOL

spanko

Most ballasts I have seen will say "Electronic" on them if they are. Don't know if the magnetic ones do.
Here is a thread I did on the Phoenix and Radiums.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/323790/radium-hqi-bulbs

novahobbies

In my totally unscientific opinion, I have to add my vote to the phoenix bulbs. I love my 14000k 150 watt bulb. Like Miss Kitty (
) said: white, with a hint of blue. No yellow.

1snapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/383323/mh-bulbs-brands#post_3351892
I honestly don't know that much about lights to be able to tell you what type of ballast you have. I really just know some good brands and Kelvin ratings, LOL. 2Quills, Acrylic and WangoTango are my go to guys for lighting questions.
Radiums are nice bulbs as well. I'd say the most popular bulb is the Phoenix 14K.
I agree with BTLD here, PM corey (2quills) or WangoTango about lights. They should be able to give good info, if you want to know anything about skimmers talk to shawn (Acrylic51)

acrylic51

Radiums are very nice bulbs.... SCSInet could tell you exactly which ballast or even in Sanjay's lighting study would provide that info. Radiums do require a certain ballast to fire the consistently and to drive the bulb.
With that said each bulb will/can look different depending on the ballast used to drive them. There are ballasts that produce better PAR with certain bulbs. Another thing than can factor into your bulb color is the orientation of the nipple on the bulb. There is another excellent site on bulb/ballast comparison, but I will have to dig for it since I'm at work right now, but will post.

acrylic51

I agree with you BLTDreef on the XM's. Some factors with that bulb are ballast choice and nipple orientation with that bulb. What type/brand ballast were you using? XM's preform better on a magnetic ballast vs an electronic ballast.
Another good site is older, but has pics showing what the bulbs look like and ballast combinations with PAR readings. www.cnidarianreef.com. If you do a search on Sanjay he has his own site as well.

keith gray

I was using reefgrow bulbs, and overall they are fine, but I was hoping for somethign a little better as far as growth. My buddy at the LFS is saying that for the money he has been real happy with SPS(South Pacific Sunlight) 14k. It probably really is his opinion because I am not buying from him, I'm buying off line an he knows it.
Oh gee, what tod do.