MH lighting- single versus HQI

beckzilla

My local reef dealer has been telling me about the advantages of HQI lighting compared to the single socket 400 watt MH's I have been using. I need opinions on both and whether his claim of HQI being more energy efficient is true. I have a 110 gallon display with 30 gallon sump and 20 gallon fuge. Display is 5 feet long by 2 feet from top to bottom. He is telling me that (2) 250 watt HQI's will be as effective as my (2) 400 watt single socket Ushios and will save me on the electrical bill. I am currently using older magnetic ballasts and he is using electronic which I know are more efficient.

sign guy

the ballest are the only thing that will make a differense. From what every one says hqi and moungal create the same amount of light and use the same amount of power

bang guy

HQI requires a UV shield like a pane of tempered glass. Mogel already had the shield from the glass bulb wrapped around the crystal. If you add another glass shield to a mogel to protect the bulb then you're blocking some light. In this case the DE is getting more light into the water.