Michael Phelps

hlcroghan

I was a competitive swimmer for 6 years and yes I will say that he is amazing. My fastes time for 100 meters was right under a minute and he blows that away. I actually went to state. One of the reasons he is so good is because of genetics. His body is very built for speed in the water and he has very large feet and flexible ankles. They actually did a special on his body before the Olympics started. If you ever notice, most swimmers tend to be tall and lanky (males) with large lats and back muscles. That is because those muscles tend to get overdeveloped. The abs and the lower back are not utilized as much. Phelps, however, for all his speed, does not have extremely big lats and I think that is one of the reasons that he tends to be more streamlined. There is not as much resistance. Feet come in to play on that too. The bigger the feet, the more water you move and he has some huge paddles. lol. Women on the other hand tend to do better if they have a little extra body fat. They get more buoyancy. There are very few extremely thin female swimmers that are really good.

jerryatrick

Make that 6 golds. Anyone read the yahoo article on his diet. 12,000 calories a day. For dinner he eats a pound of pasta, large pizza, and a protein shake.

stdreb27

What is crazy that isn't supposed to work, I remember swimming the butterfly and the thing they taught us was NOT to take that last stroke when in his position...