micro-bubbles and seahorse

daninct

What's the verdict on micro-bubbles and seahorses? Any harm to the SH? My new tank for SH does not use a sump so to save money I am using an aquac-remora HOB protien skimmer. I swapped it out from one of my other tanks two years ago for a coralife superskimmer. Now that I fired it up I remembered why I dumped it - Micro-bubbles! I do have the defuser box but it is so big and ugly in the tank.
I have no SH yet as the tank is too new so I have time to try any tricks or hear if the bubbles are harmless. Also, no corals so I don't have to worry about them.

dingus890

As with most saltwater fish,Microbubbles are not good. For seahorses it is even worse. For males seahorses bubbles can become trapped in their pouches and lead to Gas bubble disease.
So I would maybe get a new protein skimmer that doesn't produce bubbles or a powerhead for the tank.

teresaq

Its not so much the bubbles, I have an air line and so do most people that keep horses.. I have lrg bubbles and my horses like to play in them. The tiny micro bubbles may be more of a problem.
T

meowzer

Just out of curiosity, (and not to hijack a thread) why are micro bubbles bad for fish? I just thought you didn't want them cause they look bad.

daninct

Thanks for the info. I put a "filter" on the return (cut out a old mag foam filter) and that helped a great deal. I already had a small PH in there (the nano hydor Koralia) which was the smallest I had. I still think it may be too strong.
If I don't see the bubbles cut back then I guess I will have to get a new skimmer. I was hoping to get to use that darn AquaC I had sitting for years now.

dingus890

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2932796
Its not so much the bubbles, I have an air line and so do most people that keep horses.. I have lrg bubbles and my horses like to play in them. The tiny micro bubbles may be more of a problem.
T
Yeah large bubbles or an air line without an airtone is fine.Just the really tiny buubles I have heard can cause problems.
Sue I have read that the bubbles can sometimes get caught in the fishes gills.Not sure if that is true but also it affects corals and Live rock.
The bubbles can get stuck under a coral and do some damage.Same with the live rock.The microbubbles can build up under or by a piece of LR and kill the Bacteria deep in the LR that does not like oxygen.