Micro- ID Flatworm babies?

jimmy 4

I have a ton of these little guys on my glass. They are too small to take a picture of and I can't find anything about them on the web. Here is a detailed drawing of them lol.

jimmy 4

I am almost sure that they are red flat worms. I have copepods on the glass as well. I only have one angel fish in my tank. A targed manderin would be a good addition even though it is a 20G. I have read that they eat flatworms.

meowzer

I would not get a mandarin for a 20g...If you really think it is flatworms, which your drawing would suggest, you can try flatworm exit...I have never used it, but have seen that others on this site have....

cranberry

Agreed flatworms.
The OP is describing the little brown ones that stay mainly on the glass.... at the bottom and the water line. I would not do anything to rid yourself of these, IMO. They are harmless and most peeps have them if they took a hand held magnifying glass and went searching around in their tanks.

jimmy 4

He would probably only be a temporary resident. I have a lot of them in my tank and I don't want to poison my tank by killing the worms. A sixline wrasse could do the job, but I think that my angel would fight with it. Also a sixline would be harder to catch if I needed to remove it.

cranberry

Not all mandarins eat flatworms. What do you have in there that the flatworms are affecting? They will wear out their welcome in time.

jimmy 4

they don't seem to be harming anything at the moment. I have never noticed them in my tank before and I am afraid that they will reach plague proportions if I don't do something soon.

jimmy 4

I'll give it a couple days. If their numbers stay the same or less I'll just leave them alone. If not, I am going to buy some kind of animal to eat them. Flatworm exit will be a last resort because I do not want to run the risk of poisoning my tank.

markus0909

I have the exact same issue right now. Mine are almost square,4mm, and are growing in #'s rapidly. There must be close to a 1000 of them. They don't seem to be causing any harm. I have many many unique critters in my reef, and none of them cause any harm to corals. Just wondering about these??? I can't get pics of mine either.....too small.
Let's get this figured out.
Thanks for the thread.
I will keep you posted, you please do the same.

markus0909

i just found a great thread on this issue. Search flatworms in the reef forum. Or overall search. Then find "so I think i have flatworms..."

jimmy 4

I am positive that mine are brown flatworms. They don't seem to go on my corals, and thier numbers are going down own thier own. I cut down my feeding and did a 50% water change over a week. I am now also changing my water weekly instead of bi weekly mainly because I am adding stony corals to my tank.
here is my first acro. It is a test acro. So far it is doing well and is extending polyps.