Microsoft Windows Vista

froznfinn

hi, I recently obtained a computer with media center operating system. The computer was custom made. I have a free coupon for vista premium.. but was suggested that I'd wait for the first upgrade since not all hardware or software will be compatible.. Media center is fun ..but a little quirkey.

michaeltx

From my understanding is that if the computer was bought within the last year to a year and half it probably isnt powerful enough to run vista I for one will not upgrade and will not install the program on its first run. I remeber all to well the problems with XP when it came out and I jumped on the upgrade bandwagon I wont do that again way to many problems i think I spent most of my time hitting the report this problem to microsoft just to be diverted to their site saying they are looking into the problem or there is no fixes for that bug yet.
Just my 2 cents worth on vista.
mike

zman1

There is an Eval you can run on your PC
System details:
No issues were detected for these system components
The following table contains system components that meet the minimum hardware requirements needed for Windows Vista. Category Action Required Explanation
CPU No action required Your computer's CPU is AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
System memory (RAM) No action required Your computer has 2.00 GB of RAM.
DVD drive No action required Your computer can read DVDs.
Video card No action required Your current video card will support the Windows Aero™ user experience.
The only software driver issues that were reported were driver upgrades that need to be done that are available for my Photo Printer and integrated Sound
The only one that wasn't was NERO... It's an SE version anyway.

michaeltx

Home basic requirements.
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
512 MB of system memory
20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory
DVD-ROM drive
Audio Output
Internet access (fees may apply)
Additional Requirements
Actual requirements and product functionality may vary based on your system configuration. Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor can help you determine which features and edition of Windows Vista will run on your computer
Home premium/buisness/ultimate
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 GB of system memory
40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
WDDM Driver
128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
32 bits per pixel
DVD-ROM drive
Audio Output
Internet access (fees may apply)
Additional Requirements
Actual requirements and product functionality may vary based on your system configuration. Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor can help you determine which features and edition of Windows Vista will run on your computer.
Home Premium / Ultimate
TV tuner card required for TV functionality (compatible remote control optional).
Home Premium / Business / Ultimate
Windows Tablet and Touch Technology requires a Tablet PC or a touch screen.
Ultimate
Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption requires a USB Flash Drive and a system with a TPM 1.2 chip

michaeltx

i have tried to use that download several times and it doesnt work for me not sure why maybe something with my settings.
mike

zman1

Did you download - save as and then install?
After that, while it was connecting, I had it timeout during the business day with server busy twice. I had to also allow my firewall to let it connect.

michaeltx

it doesnt even get to that point it opens the new window and then just sits there.
I will try again tomorrow I am just curious as to what it will say on mine LOL
Mike

zman1

If it were for business mission critical applications, it wouldn't go on a workstation until the next new release was coming out. Same applies for the Server versions...

zman1

I'm not sure how everyone does upgrades. I always do a cold backup before a major upgrade. When I installed XP I did three at different phases.
I like to do a clean install and not on top of an old version
A Cold backup of old system
1. Install OS and enter Activation keys
2. After all current Hot fixes installed
3. After all Applications reinstalled - Only takes 6 DVDs
From this point forward incremental and use the restore point feature in XP.
Backups are standard items when working on Customer Mission Critical system upgrades during certifications. You always leave yourself a clean way to rollback a change.
The customers themselves have backup procedures plans for data and disaster recovery. This varies from customer to customer based on how they rate their risks.

reckler

My first few boards were abit and I liked them. The only thing I had a problem with is the bios, on the last board is a virus attacked it. That is the only thing I could think of that happened. The board wouldn't shut down on it's own. I tried to instal the bios again and it wouldn't take it. The MSI board is pretty good but would recommend it, good prices though. I can't get the bios to even load on startup. system error says bios not loaded. I thought I had lost my touch so even paid a tech to look at it. they couldn't even figure it out.
I believe my amd is a fx duo-core and I have 2 gig mem with a 3 gig fsb. I can't be sure but I think that is what the specs are. my grafics card took a dump on me so i'm useing my mad dog 64 meg card now. If I am right the amd's overclock run real unstable unless you are useing alot of processor at one time. pentium runs a little more stabe but destroys the processor faster.
I think amd is the better processor. they run hotter but go through alot more abuse than an intel can IMO.
I have been considering doing a small upgrade on my system again. I want to push it as fast as I can possibly get is to go.