might join the army

nigerbang

After much thinking about it my whole life...I have decided to try and join the army or atleast the national guard..kinda scared but its what I want and I think it would be best for my family..out of work since april and its not looking any better...I can get my education and the fam can stay on base..I am not going into this for a free ride...Lords knows it wont be, I have been wanting to do this for about 10 years now..

groupergenius

I don't think anybody would call it a free ride. If they do, smack the snot out of them. The military is a good choice. Not many jobs have 1/2 the benefits.
My hat is off to ya.

cowfishrule

i have a friend that hit rock bottom. he joined the army, was stationed in germany where he found his wife, went to iraq, and came home to a baby girl.
his life was 100% turned around.

kjr_trig

Good luck if you do Niger...I know your a little older than most of the new recruits, some life experience should help you advance up the chain a little quicker.

m0nk

I joined the Army at 17. I wish I could go back for more time, but life has sorta taken hold and I can't really do it...
If you do choose to go, best of luck!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by NigerBang
http:///forum/post/2844792
After much thinking about it my whole life...I have decided to try and join the army or atleast the national guard..kinda scared but its what I want and I think it would be best for my family..out of work since april and its not looking any better...I can get my education and the fam can stay on base..I am not going into this for a free ride...Lords knows it wont be, I have been wanting to do this for about 10 years now..

Originally Posted by NigerBang

http:///forum/post/2844830
I never said it was
Just making sure. I read that as you intend to work. I know I have a 2nd cousin who went into the Army. 4 years ago. The moron told his mom that there was no way he'd be sent to iraq. Said that is what the recruiter told him. 1 year after he got in he was shooting camel spiders.
I don't know if he lied to his mom, or if he was that stupid. (both strong possibilities) but she was ticked and moaned and groaned and yadda yadda ya. So I was just making sure.

mie

Make sure you do a job that WILL benefit you in the civilian world. Maybe an MP or somthing like that I dont think there is a huge demand for pilots and tank operators in our world.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/2844851
Make sure you do a job that WILL benefit you in the civilian world. Maybe an MP or somthing like that I dont think there is a huge demand for pilots and tank operators in our world.
yeah and stay away from electronics, that isn't useful outside. Demolitions might be fun however...

carrieabn

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/2844851
There are many jobs out there for a pilot. My husband is in the National Guard, an aviation unit, and though he isn't a pilot several of our helicopter pilots are pilots in the civilaian world. Several fly for Air Evac,others for state police and new channels. My husband was in Iraq for a year as a crewchief and flight instructor and works full time for the Guard as Quality Control. He is always looking at jobs in the civilian world for what he does, once he has his 20 he may go civilain.
The military has gave us a good life. I am an Army Contractor at a Family Assistance Center at the armory where my husband works. There are many full time jobs in the National Guard if you or your family aren't sure about active duty, just not the on post living and it can take some time to get them. I would of loved active duty and my husband was going to go active if he didn't get his job.

mimzy

my BIL was in much the same situation; joining the army changed his life in so many amazing ways. He did an 18month tour in Iraq and he might be going back for another one, but his family's life is stable, he is doing something he and his family are SUPER proud of, and it's just been an amazing transformation.

coastie81

I would look into the coast guard. You stay in the states and you are home alot. They also take really good care of your family. I am in the coast guard and I am a helicopter mechanic. It is a good job and all the same benefits as the other branchs. (most people don't even know we are part of the military). Any questions or concerns feel free to ask away.

nw2salt08

If you want to go into the Army, then do it. If you think it's something you'll love then that's an important aspect with a career. My husband is 43-years-old and in the Army. If he can do it then I'm sure you can. He loves what he does and is proud of the career path he's chosen. He has an indefinite retirement date of 2026. lol All I'm saying, age isn't a deciding factor and if it's what you've always wanted to do then go for it.

sx450 rider

i too will soon be joining the military. the marines tho.
Good luck to you.
i want to be a scout sniper. what do you want to try for? oops didnt mean to post the same thing twice