mighty putty???

melypr1985

i have had a few troubles with my coral falling. the man at my lfs said that he uses that mighty putty from tv. he showed me a few tanks where he had used it to secure quite a few corals and it looks great. he said its not toxic or anything and some of them had algea and stuff growing on it after a while. i bought some and i'm acclimating two new corals. i wanted to get some different oppinions before i used it. ANYBODY?

melypr1985

ok well...... since nobody wanted to comment or give an oppinion i went ahead and did it. i used the mighty putty to secure my two new corals. it actually worked! if everything is dead tomorrow i'll know not to do that again. but so far so good! here are a few pics!

flower

LOL Keep us posted...I use a super glue gel but it only seem to hold for a short time, then my corals start falling over. This has happened with several brands.
Hope yours holds up over time, you get to be the tester

melypr1985

yeah that makes me feel great! so far it is holding great! in the commercial it will attach to wet surffaces and harden. the box said that it will take like 24 hours to completely harden. i will let you guys know if everything dies, my corals fall, or God willing it works great. all in good time.

brokendeck

It should be fine. I use a putty made by marineland for glueing my corals where I want them in my tank, but its also made for saltwater. Plzs keep us updated on this.

christinaja

I'm glad it seems to be working for you!
I bought a stick of putty from marineland, and if I had a choice, I wouldn't buy it again.
first, it smells so bad when I opened it, I wanted to run outside to get air. XD But once I stuck it underwater, I couldn't really smell it so I tried it. It says it cures in one hour, but it didnt really work for me, I tried it first with two pieces of live rock, and it just didnt want to stick :(
Anyways, I'll be watching this thread so see if it holds, now I'm thinking about buying some :)

stanlalee

I asked about this a while ago since it looks and is packaged EXACTLY like marineland holdfast which I use but cost much less. I believe its the same stuff.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/3070412
I asked about this a while ago since it looks and is packaged EXACTLY like marineland holdfast which I use but cost much less. I believe its the same stuff.
Indeed there all are the same stuff, Mighty Putty, Marineland Holdfast, and there's also AquaMend available at Lowe's/HD for even cheaper. You're basic 2-part, the outter green part-A, and the inter gray part-B you mash up to start the hardening process.

melypr1985

well.... it's holding great! even with my crabs crawling around them!

i wish you guys would have told me about it being cheaper elsewhere. i got it at CVS!
oh well i have enough to last me a while, it came with 3 tubes.
oh yeah.... billy maes is sooo anoying!!

flower

I don't think it was wise to just try something like you did.
But since you did it and it is too late to change it...I sure hope it works because I realy need something that does.
keep us posted!

melypr1985

your right, i was a little impatient to research that product specificly, but i did see it in the lfs tanks and he had been using it for a year now. it worked for him!

brokendeck

Originally Posted by Christinaja
http:///forum/post/3070353
I'm glad it seems to be working for you!
I bought a stick of putty from marineland, and if I had a choice, I wouldn't buy it again.
first, it smells so bad when I opened it, I wanted to run outside to get air. XD But once I stuck it underwater, I couldn't really smell it so I tried it. It says it cures in one hour, but it didnt really work for me, I tried it first with two pieces of live rock, and it just didnt want to stick :(
Anyways, I'll be watching this thread so see if it holds, now I'm thinking about buying some :)
I have used the same stuff and I havent had a problem with it. I got it to work by getting a decent size piece and flated it out on the LR, then got another piece and put it on the coral then place the 2 puttys together and it sticks perfect. I havent had a problem with it moving or coming loose and its been over 2 months.

flower

Originally Posted by Brokendeck
http:///forum/post/3070588
I have used the same stuff and I havent had a problem with it. I got it to work by getting a decent size piece and flated it out on the LR, then got another piece and put it on the coral then place the 2 puttys together and it sticks perfect. I havent had a problem with it moving or coming loose and its been over 2 months.
The stuff I use stays put as well...until I accidently bump it, or a fish does, then it coes loose. I have had them stay in place over 4 months then one day...my prize coral is dying in the sand

meowzer

I use the aquamend...I have a few pieces of coral(knocks on wood) that have never come loose, and a few that have after a while....I have also used super glue gel, which NEVER seems to work for me...SOOOOO IF anyone finds a miracle putty..PLEASE TELL ME..lol

brokendeck

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3070603
The stuff I use stays put as well...until I accidently bump it, or a fish does, then it coes loose. I have had them stay in place over 4 months then one day...my prize coral is dying in the sand

Well flower if you havent tried the marineland one, I would say give it a shot. Ill post the exact name when I get home from work if you want the name of it.

olga21

THE POWER OF MIRICLE PUTTY- Got to love Billy Mays, he could sell a deaf man ear plugs. but thanks for the idea I need some stuff like that. thanks again for the post and idea.

melypr1985

still holding strong! hopefully it wont be a waste of money!! my emerald crab has managed to "lean" on my torch and it is still "standing"