Mimic tang discoloration....

mujtba

i have a yellow mimic tang..
its gills and fins are all black...
it swims around fine, eats fine, does everything fine... its been this way for over a month now..
but i just noticed its not bright yellow like when i first got it..
i noticed red streaks behind its gills too. i already did a massive water change over a month ago and i do 5G weekly water changes...
i mean the fish acts,swims,eats healthy.. just doesnt look so healthy..
:thinking:

1man

Hello,
I had a yellow tang that started to display the same signs that you noted. Honestly, the problem ended up being water parameters and diet. Very basic reasons, I know, but, you'll be able to improve the health of your tang if you can get your readings down, keep them down, and start feeding a varied diet. I started using a mix of Formula 1 and 2 and supplementing with a sheet of seaweed daily. And, like magic, the problems went away.

mujtba

my readings are this:
salinity: 1.024
PH: 8.2
ammonia: 0
nitritie: 0
nitrate: 5
what do you mean get them down?
what is Formula 1 and 2?
where do i get seaweed? would i always have to feed seaweed?

andrewt

oh man, buy him seaweed and frozen food! or your tang will be like my old one, who turned all white and died

M

maddest

I feed my large yellow tang green flake food, its with algae I guess. Is that good?:happy:

pwnag3!!

look HIs problem is for a yellow mimic tang!!!
hey i have a mimic and they naturally change colors when they get older. mine is doing the same thing... dont worry

T

tizzo

Holy Cow!! I am looking in my fish bible and I think pawn3d has a point!! Shows it right there on page 379 Marine Fishes as adults they get all funky colored. Not sure I like it, don't think I'll get one of those.
So the baby mimic looks identicle to a lemonpeel??

pwnag3!!

yeah.... they turn brown color when an adult.
They are also known as a chocolate tang.
i think they look very pretty when adults

T

tizzo

Oh your good. It does say that it's nickname is first "Chocolate surgeonfish" and then secondary, mimic surgeonfish.
In my book it's fins and tail look bluish, is that not how yours will turn out?? Will it stay brown or is this a "transition color"?
Oops, just saw your pics. The one with blue fins, is that the actual color?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have exp with this fish, but I believe that the reason they are referred to as "mimic" is because they change colors to "mimic" other fish. A yellow mimic is trying to pretend he is a yellow tang or a lemonpeal and a brown mimic is trying to be a ....brown angelfish? :D
Seriously cool if you ask me.

mujtba

the yellow mimic tang that has black gills, etc.. it is fungus or is unhealthy..
i don't think its changing colors.. i have seen it at the store bigger.. they are bright yellow.
it must be lacking some vitamin..
it used to be pretty... i duno how to fix it..
:mad:

pwnag3!!

Originally posted by mujtba
the yellow mimic tang that has black gills, etc.. it is fungus or is unhealthy..
i don't think its changing colors.. i have seen it at the store bigger.. they are bright yellow.
it must be lacking some vitamin..
it used to be pretty... i duno how to fix it..
:mad:

LISTEN.... THEY CHANGE COLORS.... DID YOU NOT LOOK AT MY PICS?

mujtba

i know adults change color to browinsh yellow, but what are the red streaks on the back of gills?
also, your first set of pics are mimic tangs, your second set of pics look like something else.. the tail and fins look different..
they may change color, but shape too?