Minifishy Octo tank diary

N

nemo_66

sounds good, instead of bioballs, i would go with live rock rubble(small pieces of LR).

azfishgal

Your tank is looking very nice!
I would try and get rid of the bubbles and like Nemo said, use lr instead of bioballs. Looks like your fish will have a nice home.

minifishy

thankx very much nemo and Az .... i will stick with my plan...
yeah me too i hate those bubble .... and it make so much noise ...
i have an other problem
my top tank was build with aluminium ....almost 4" to the water level .... so that look like i can't use an overflow box without cutting the top (see pict) so maybe if i get a venturi pump ... stick it 3 or 4" below the water level .... will it be ok .... i wonder if i have a power lost ...water will keep come out till it reach the venturi pump then stop .... my sum gat to be anough high or large to support that quantity of water right? what do you guys think...
if somebody have an other idea to share .... please do so
thank you

fishieness

je l'aime. mettes "astro-turf" a l'haut parceque il l'arrettera d'echappe.
comprenez-vous?
je regrette si mon francais etait tres mal. haha

minifishy

yes your french is bad just like my english .... what do you want me to put on the top.... is that a name of a pump?
thankszzz!

fishieness

ahaha. oh well. i havent taken in it a year and a half or so.
and nevermind about what i said.... i can see that you are not keeping an octopus tank, but an octogon tank... it was late, as the wuality of my french was well demonstrated. give me a break. haha

minifishy

hello guys
it's only 2 weeks since my last post and i thought it was a month ..... i finish my sum....test it and it run perfectly

... i got a deal for an used Power compact light: 2x65w + moonlight for 200 .... it's brand new ... 1 month used .... put it on last night .... wow what a different..... and also i add my first coral ... don't remember what is his name :)
maybe somebody here tell me ....
i'm waiting for my 2 maroon (red) clown to eat then.... maybe in 2 days

guys ... how many hour of light should i go a day to be perfect ... my first test today is .... start my actinic an hour (7am) then on the sun (8am)..... thinking for tonight off the sun at 8pm then off the actinic at 9pm ..... then live the moon ....how about that...
no light for the sum yet .... no cash for now
here some picts .... i do my best

S

scoobs

Hmm for starting out as a octo tank this is turning into a sweet reef tank :D
Looks good!

minifishy

texasmetal ... do you have pict of your octopus ..... if i can get an octopus no more than 1" .... maybe i will change my mind for a real octopus tank ....

i cancel 2 maroon clown .....because they're too agressive and they're really a jumbo maroon ..... have to wait 2 more weeks ... for now i content my self to look the rock

maybe i can convince my self to get an orange watcherman ...let see what will is in my dream tonight

texasmetal

Originally Posted by MiniFishy
texasmetal ... do you have pict of your octopus ..... if i can get an octopus no more than 1" .... maybe i will change my mind for a real octopus tank ....
1" Octopus? Well, you can forget that. My dwarf O. Mercatoris was about 1.5" when I got him. Grew to about 3" four months later, before he died of "Old age" as dwarfs only live 6-8 months anyway.
Then again, a kid on TONMO is about to have his second round of O. Bimaculoides hatchlings. They'll be tiny, and have their whole life ahead of them.... up to 2 years with a chiller on the tank.
A 1" octopus would be fish bait anyway.
If you can set up an Octopus only tank in the future though, they are well worth dedicating an entire display to. The only real downside being their short lifespan.

minifishy

very interesting info Txmetal.... i never see an octo's here ... maybe because of his short life ... so nobody want it ...but it gat to be very special to have one at home .... m i right?

texasmetal

Originally Posted by MiniFishy
very interesting info Txmetal.... i never see an octo's here ... maybe because of his short life ... so nobody want it ...but it gat to be very special to have one at home .... m i right?

Yeah, it's pretty much like having an 8-legged pet monkey that eats crab and lives underwater.

minifishy

my first shiny fishy diamond orange watchman

the little guy seem hate picture .... no photogenic?

here an other one he move so fast and he love to grab my hermit crab and throw away .... i try to take a pict but no patient ....

texasmetal

Haha, cute. He will become more photogenic with time :) Give him a couple of weeks. Looks like Kermit the Frog.

azfishgal

Tank is coming along nicely. Great looking Goby. Mine likes to pick up the snails and move them around.

For lighting, my tank is only on for 8 hours. I may increase it to 9 hours if the red slime stays away, but for now it's working out great. If you go with straight 12 hours of lights you might see an algea bloom (diatoms, red slime or both), so if you start to see that just cut your light time and increase it slowly.
Edit: My lights are MHs, so you might not have as big of a problem with an algea bloom. It's a new tank though, so just keep an eye on it.

minifishy

my pleasure to show you guys some picts
not much coral and fish yet but it will be soon full color
front

right

left

inside stand ... small but work flawlessly