minimum tank for 2 or 3 false percs

dave_15

wat would be the minimum tank for 2 or 3 false perculas? I want to try to breed them....would i be able to put an anemone and 2 percs in a 5-10 gallon?
how big should a tank be for a group? (around 5-6)
thanks

sweetdawn

dont think its the watts think its the spectrum. alot of times clownfish will host in other things I have an anamone in my reef tank and my clown fish ignores it and lives in my xenias wich dont need metal halide they will do fine under pc.

B

big fish

I have a 10gal. tank and i have 2 true percs in it and like sweetdawn said you dont need an anemone mine also host in my pulsing xenia and they do fine. good luck

hedonic

Clownfish can host to most anything. Make sure of the technical species of false percs. Often I have seen Polyumnus (SP?) clowns labled as false percs, these have not spawned in captivity for anyone (they are also black/white with an orange/yellow mask that does not go away). Just an FYI.

dave_15

what the minimum light for a xenia? any other things i should know about this coral? what do you feed it and how?
mine are A.ocellaris for sure

hagfish

3-4 watts per gallon of pc, vho, mh, or t5 should be fine for Xenia. BTW, with anemonies, it's not the spectrum that causes one to need mh it's the intensity of the light. You can get NO output bulbs in the same spectrum as MH. It is also somewhat debatable as to whether you actually need MH, but it certainly makes it easier than PC or VHO. T5 may be usable too I think.
How big is your tank (gallons) and what are the dimensions?
Xenia will eat food given from the zooxanthelae (sp) living in it. It also gets nutrients from the water which I believe includes nitrates.
Your oscellaris may want to live in any coral really. Especially those with decent sized tentacles. Star polyps might work. Hammers, frogspawn, torch, long tentacle plate are some LPS corals that might work. Of course mine would pass up all of that in favor of the powerhead so you just never know.

dave_15

i have flourescent lighning (would it work)....its a 30 gallon (36"x16"x12")....if that wouldnt work....any corals that would?
Thanks
ps. (what light would you reccommend for a annemone or xenia? and what the best annamonie for a starter?what they eat?)

B

big fish

If you are going to get an anemonies then i would get the bta i think it is one of the more easer to take care of and to feed it i feed mine fish and invert food.

thirdchaos

There arent any host anemones that could live in a 5-10 gallon tank. I strongly suggest avoiding them especially since this is your first anemone and it would be in a smaller environment (meaning there is no room for error). If you upgrade your lighting there are plenty of corals the are better choices. Besides, clowns dont need a host to spawn.

vi3tb0i

Originally Posted by thirdchaos
There arent any host anemones that could live in a 5-10 gallon tank. I strongly suggest avoiding them especially since this is your first anemone and it would be in a smaller environment (meaning there is no room for error). If you upgrade your lighting there are plenty of corals the are better choices. Besides, clowns dont need a host to spawn.
he said he have a 30gal i think

hagfish

BTA = bubble tip anemone
It is easier than most host anemonies, but still not very easy to keep long term.
By flourescent lighning, I assume you mean plain normal output (NO) lights that possibly came with your system. Those won't work for most photosynthetic corals or anemonies unless you have a whole bunch of bulbs running, but I doubt you do.
If you want to keep corals and/or anemonies, you should really look into improved lighting. I would search this message board for lighting info. For a basic summary, you have options of Power Compact (PC) lights, Very High Output (VHO) lights, t5 lights, and metal halide (MH) lights. That list is from least effective IMO to most effective.

thirdchaos

Originally Posted by vi3tb0i
he said he have a 30gal i think
Sorry, I just read the first post and assumed that was the ultimate goal.
"would i be able to put an anemone and 2 percs in a 5-10 gallon"
A thirty gallon with proper lighting and perfect water params would be fine. If this is the situation, I also suggest a BTA. Good luck.

B

big fish

It is bubble tip anemone and i have not had any problem keeping mine in my 10gal. tank.

bang guy

Originally Posted by big fish
It is bubble tip anemone and i have not had any problem keeping mine in my 10gal. tank.
That's great. The odds of this working with an inexperienced reefkeeper is very slim. Very very slim.
How long have you had the Anemone?