Minnesota reefers

s/g5588

I am looking for some good fish stores outside of the twin cities area. we are tired of looking at all the stores in the area, if anyone has any stores that are worth going to please post .:D
thanks

radge69

Pet Expo in Mankato as a good selection, but the people around here end up going to the twin cities for a different selection as well. I have heard good things about A World of Fish over by the mega mall.

Currently, I am bouncing back and forth between A World of Fish and Something Fishy. Both in Richfield, about two blocks from each other on 66th, between Portland ave and Bloomington ave. They are both OK, TOTALLY depends on who you talk to at the store when you are there. Sean at a World of Fish seems to know the most there. Not sure about who to talk to at Something Fishy yet. I heard about a store called Amazing Fish in St. Louis Park on this board, drove there last weekend and it was closed down. My husband drives by a place called Salt H20 in Bloomington on the way to work, I have no idea about that place yet. Doesn't look like a fish store from the outside, but what else could it be? I'll get over there sooner or later. I have seen some atrocious saltwater tanks in small fish stores in my area. Internet looks pretty good to me right now, but haven't tried it yet.
I am interested in what others have to say about this.....
Good Luck.
-Christine

foulbrew

I too bounce back and forth between "A World of Fish" and "Something Fishy". Both Sean and Dan at AWOF seem to know their stuff. I haven't found anyone at Something Fishy yet with respectable knowledge. I visit both stores regularly looking for interesting additions.
There is a Twin Cities Marine Aquarium Society that holds monthly meetings at members houses to look at their setup and trade. I haven't attended yet but plan to after the holidays. They have a forum at ReefCentral.

I have heard about the aquarium society, but I didn't know about their forum. Thanks for the info. I will check it out.
-Christine

joesox

I haven't been there yet, but someone I trust told me that forest lake pets is a good store to try. I am going to check it out soon, maybe this weekend.

reef_freak

We too had that problem in MN. After checking many stores, we found that Something Fishy was our best bet. Ed is the one to talk/deal with in there(intelligent&honest). We didn't really care for World of Fish, and would not recommend Wet World. Salt h20 is a wholesaler, might be worth checking them out. Good luck!

World of Fish is spendy , but Sean knows his stuff. Bob is another good one there. There customer service there is good. They stand behind every product they sell. Any problem and they will take care of you...replace it or whatever to make you happy.
Something Fishy has a big selection with average prices. Most of of staff there is kinda rude in my opinion. There customer service on equipment is horrible. They wont return anything and they dont stand behind any of their products.
Aqualand doesnt have much of a selection on fish or coral but they have tons of tanks and lights. They are also an Eheim dealer I believe. They seem nice but it is not my style.
Harmar pets has a decent selection and they seem friendly. It is a small store in a mall but they do have 25% off all stock on Mondays. Thats when we shop there. That is the only things we have ever bought.
Forest Lake Pets used to be a good store. They had a fairly large selection of corals and fish. They used to run 2 for $40 on a lot of their corals. The last couple times in there though we have been disappointed. Just looks like there is no upkeep anymore. The tanks look horrible.
Amazing Fish went out of business because they didnt pay any bills or any of their suppliers. They didnt know much there anyways.
The Worst on the list is Premier Pets!!! That place is horrible. Dof and cat feces all over. Cats in a cage with no toys and no clean water. Litter box was overflowing. It stinks in there from no upkeap. They have been turned in a couple times for animal cruelty. Just for this I would never buy any fish there.
The best on the list, and our favorite, is Fish and Friends. A small fish store but a large variety of corals and fish. If they dont have it they will order it for you. If you go on shipment day, you get the top pick. The prices are average but I think we get deals there now and then because we shop there a lot. I would pay extra fpr the customer service. They even took back defective merchadise from Something Fishy so we werent out a brand new skimmer. We even bought our new tank from them and they came over to our apartment to get the pumpo set right. This place get a gold star, in my opinion.
We have been to several other little places but none are note worthy.
HTH
:D

I was wondering if there were any good stores outside of the Twin Cities? Even if they were in Wisconsin, we are looking for a new place to go. Thanks