Missnano's 12G Nano Tank Diary

meowzer

Originally Posted by MissNano
http:///forum/post/3219398
fully cured? It was in a tank i know that...
LOL....in other words you will not have any die off to cause any spikes in ammonia or anything like that....
Did you keep it wet? How far between teh lfs and home did you have to go with the rock?

missnano

They guy put it in a bag, it was still wet when i put them in the tank. And it was a pretty far drive home actually. I am a little nervous on how he will do. T

missnano

It was a tank that just had other rocks in it, I didnt see fish or corals or anything in it.. Why is that bad?

missnano

So far no spike. Starfish has been fine for the last 24 hours so i think he is good. Here is an update pic of my tank :) Oh and a pic of my starfish :)

missnano

I have no idea lol He is just my buddy, i call him. One day i wanted to make sure he was alive, so i touched his arm, and he came onto my hand. It was neat :)

spanko

From wet web media.
"One species in common use warrants a statutory warning. This is the Green Brittle Star of the genus Ophiarachna. This animal is a predatory fish eater, that does indeed do a spiffy janitorial job when small... but grows quickly, and under darkness of night can/does learn to eat aquarium fishes. This species has been documented to arch up in "sleeping caves" of captive fishes and drop down on unsuspecting meals. If you use this species, keep an eye on it, and a count on your piscine livestock."

missnano

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3220489
From wet web media.
"One species in common use warrants a statutory warning. This is the Green Brittle Star of the genus Ophiarachna. This animal is a predatory fish eater, that does indeed do a spiffy janitorial job when small... but grows quickly, and under darkness of night can/does learn to eat aquarium fishes. This species has been documented to arch up in "sleeping caves" of captive fishes and drop down on unsuspecting meals. If you use this species, keep an eye on it, and a count on your piscine livestock."

Oh wow! I hope mine doesnt do that!

missnano

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3220489
From wet web media.
He is not a green brittle star. When i got him on the tank it said serpent starfish. So I think im ok.... right?

spanko

Ah the common name conundrum again. The serpent and brittle star in this case is the same critter. Ophiarachna incrassata

missnano

So i have taken in a chili coral. It was in my moms tank and was just doing well at all. She asked if i would take, she thought my tank would be better for it..Is it even alive? How can i help the little guy?