mixing kalk

fishman88

:help: i have a 1000 ml bag that i am goin to use to drip my kalk into a 29 galloon tank. i want to know how much kalk to put into that bag a drip into my tank?
any help will be apriciated
thanks
mike:happyfish

nm reef

Hmmm...I've never mixed kalk in that small of a container. But I use 1 level tablespoon per gal for my drip container...a 2.5 gal jug. Normally I'll mix it during the day and start the drip that night...I have a pair of 2.5 gal containers designated for drips of kalk only...and another pair for drips of Seachems Reef Builder and Reef Advantage.The Kalk is normally constantly dripping and the Reef Builder / Reef Advantage are rotated.:thinking:
In your application you could start with a much smaller amount and increase it gradually until you reach saturation...at some point you'd have more than could be dissolved in your container...then cut back below that amount to have a good ratio of water to kalk. I'd start with around a 1/8 tablespoon and see how that does. Just a guess...but it may get you going in the right direction.:yes:

bang guy

About 1/2 a teaspoon max. I like NM's suggestion of starting smaller though and gradually increasing the dose.

fishman88

Originally posted by NM reef
Hmmm...I've never mixed kalk in that small of a container. But I use 1 level tablespoon per gal for my drip container...a 2.5 gal jug. Normally I'll mix it during the day and start the drip that night...I have a pair of 2.5 gal containers designated for drips of kalk only...and another pair for drips of Seachems Reef Builder and Reef Advantage.The Kalk is normally constantly dripping and the Reef Builder / Reef Advantage are rotated.:thinking:
In your application you could start with a much smaller amount and increase it gradually until you reach saturation...at some point you'd have more than could be dissolved in your container...then cut back below that amount to have a good ratio of water to kalk. I'd start with around a 1/8 tablespoon and see how that does. Just a guess...but it may get you going in the right direction.:yes:

yes i put 1/8 tablespoon in there and i kinda didnt close off the valve and i had some pure kalk go into my tank :nervous: not alot but i shut it off and i am not goin to start driping till the morning... is this ok or should i be concerned?
thanks
mike :happyfish

fishman88

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I wouldn't make it a habit.

haha yr a funny guy bang :D :joy: .. but thanks that makes me feel better.. and next time i mix it should i mix it up in a seperate container and then put it into the iv bag?
thanks

nm reef

I would...but then again I would mix it in a 1 gal jug(or even 1/2 gal) and figure a way to drip via a larger container. Mine drips into my sump...which would be the way to go if you have a sump.

fishman88

no unfortunantly i do not have a sump.. but the reason i am using the iv drip system is because i can get it for free.. and i dont see the sence in buying something to do the same thing.. but if you can show me how you have yrs set up maybe i will take a likeing to it and do it my self.
thanks

nm reef

Gettin' a bit late for the milkman...past my bed time...but picture that line from your IV stuck into a plastic container about a inch or two from the bottom...toss the bag and use the line and thunb adjuster. Tomorrow I'll locate a pic of one of my low tech IV adapted drip containers.I've even got a biopsy syringe and 8" needle for removal of valonia...works great. Medical stuff can be very useful and adaptable!:thinking:

if you have access to an iv bag, do you have access to these?? I use this and a $1 jug from the, u guessed it, the dollor store. I got the iv things from a girlfriend (ex girlfriend, tried to run me over with her jeep :scared: ) Works great for me. Just jabbed the pointy end into the jug about 1 to 2 inches from the bottom of the jug, and ajust the flow with the little wheel thingie (im a computer nerd, not a doctor :D)

fishman88

ahh kick ars me-n-my-fish that is the stuff i am talkin about. yea i have access to all that good stuff (my dad is a doctor) and those dollar jugs is the icing on the cake.. are they half gallon? if so can i use 2 on a 29 and how much kalk should i put in the jugs?
thanks
P.S. me-n-my-fish she tried to run you over with her car? man thank god my girl can drive yet

I dose one every night. Hence the 3 jug rotation. But i have a 55gal with 20gal sump. They are one gallon jugs, and i put 2 heathly spoons of mrs wages lime and fill it up with RO/DI, let site overnight, then drip. Works great for me. How often you dose would depend on your tanks needs.
Dude, im talkin all gas, shiftin gears, not a break light in site!!!!!! Ya really got to watch out for the crazy ones. Caught her in a lie, I stopped in the middle of the road, got out, and left. Really cant stand liers
Datin another nurse. gotta keep in supply of the fish stuff man :D
good luck
l8r

fishman88

Originally posted by me-n-my-fish
I dose one every night. Hence the 3 jug rotation. But i have a 55gal with 20gal sump. They are one gallon jugs, and i put 2 heathly spoons of mrs wages lime and fill it up with RO/DI, let site overnight, then drip. Works great for me. How often you dose would depend on your tanks needs.
Dude, im talkin all gas, shiftin gears, not a break light in site!!!!!! Ya really got to watch out for the crazy ones. Caught her in a lie, I stopped in the middle of the road, got out, and left. Really cant stand liers
Datin another nurse. gotta keep in supply of the fish stuff man :D
good luck
l8r

omg that is crazy!!! haha good thing she didnt hit you... ok i am just starting this doseing thing so i need alot of help i am goin to go with me-n-my-fish's doseing idea cuz i like it. i am goin to have 2 gallon jugs (and just switch off between them ever week?) now all i need to know is how much kalk i should put in the fresh water (like tablespoons or somethin like that) and i would also like to know how fast the drip should be? like how many drops a second? (like one drop every 30 sec?)
sorry for all the questions i just want to do this rite
mike:happyfish

bang guy

Originally posted by fishman88
all i need to know is how much kalk i should put in the fresh water (like tablespoons or somethin like that)

NM stated earlier that he uses 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water. Sounds right to me. It might be safer for you to use 1/2 that much until you get used to dosing.

fishman88

thanks for all your help guys i will post more about how it is goin over a time thank you all very much. :D :joy: :yes:
thanks