mixing salt water needs help

i just recently bought a box of crystal sea marine mix for my reef tank, im going a partial water change today and was mixing up saltwater and noticed that in the bottom of my mixing container there looks to be some kind of debris is that normal?

twood

I have never used that brand, but it doesn't sound normal. I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and after letting it mix with a powerhead overnight, I usually have little if any solid particles on the bottom of my mixing tub. However, I once bought a bag of Reef Crystals from a PetsMart and when I mixed it up and checked on it the next day, I had a large amount of solid white particles on the bottom. I believe the bag had been punctured at some point prior to purchase and moisture got in, causing some of the trace elements to bond together and not dissolve. I suspect that is what happened with your mix.

Originally Posted by twood
http:///forum/post/3282946
I have never used that brand, but it doesn't sound normal. I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and after letting it mix with a powerhead overnight, I usually have little if any solid particles on the bottom of my mixing tub. However, I once bought a bag of Reef Crystals from a PetsMart and when I mixed it up and checked on it the next day, I had a large amount of solid white particles on the bottom. I believe the bag had been punctured at some point prior to purchase and moisture got in, causing some of the trace elements to bond together and not dissolve. I suspect that is what happened with your mix.
ok would that be a bad thing then to put those trace elements in the tank like that or wouldnt it matter?

meowzer

Originally Posted by fitbmxdude989
http:///forum/post/3282950
ok would that be a bad thing then to put those trace elements in the tank like that or wouldnt it matter?
How long has this salt been mixing? I would not add anything that was not dissolved....

twood

To be honest I don't know. I really don't know what that debris is. I am just guessing that it is trace elements that dropped out of solution. I DO know that if it is indeed trace elements, those elements will not be available to your corals (assuming you have any). Personally I would not put that water in my tank unless it was an emergency. If you do want to use it, test it first. Test the Specific Gravity, the PH, and for Ammonia and Nitrites. If it tests good and you aren't worried about trace elements for corals, then its probably okay to use. Just siphon the water out leaving the debris in the mixing container.

ok thanks, i notice that it looks like trace elements, i looked at my salt package and appearently the bottom of the box got wet, so im thinking you were right about the trace elements part