MJ-1200 run cooler or hotter than stock JBJ Nanocube24 290gph pump ?

kromix

One last question before I make my final decision,
I know many many people swap out their stock pumps on the nano 24 for a MJ-1200, it's like everyone's first mod it seems..
Well, when you did so did you experience a temp drop/increase or none??

nano-newb1983

never replaced my stock pump, i got a Korila 1 and plan to get another.. I im sure with the 2nd i will have just enough flow... Ive also seen alot of peeps just upgrade the stock pump with what u mentioned

subielover

Generally the pump that comes with aio's are crap. They usually use a lot of power and still don't have good flow. Just get the mj900, and 1 or 2 Koralias. The mj1200 uses 2x the power of the mj900 and not a significant increase in flow.

kromix

Also if I'm gonna have a skimmer being run as well, how much lower will the GPH go ? Would the MJ-900 not be powerful enough for the skimmer?

bang guy

I seem to recall that the JBL uses an 8 watt pump and the MJ1200 is a 20 watt pump. Therefore the MJ is going to add more than twice as much heat to the water. It will add about the same amount of heat as a 20 watt heater.

kromix

I can't find that data anywhere, the JBJ stock pump is only 8 watts!? I don't get what else is causing high heat in my system, I mean, theres nothing there but the pump to cause heat, and ambient is 74/75, tank is at 80.5-83.8 ......
Do you think if I got a MJ-900 or even a MJ-600 with the "Sea-Flo" mod it would be too strong?

rotarymagic

open the feeding lid on your tank. you may end up needing a chiller though since those nanocubes run extremely hot.

kromix

That's the problem with mine I guess, the hood... However the hood is also good because I have carpet and it keeps carpet hairs out of the water :)
Any1 have any other ideas on mods to help with the heat?

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by kromix
http:///forum/post/2816348
That's the problem with mine I guess, the hood... However the hood is also good because I have carpet and it keeps carpet hairs out of the water :)
Just curious... how would carpet hairs get into your tank?? I have carpet too and I don't seem to have this issue... You must be rough on your place...
I don't kick the carpet after a hard day at work...

kromix

Well I'm stuck with the hood with the JBJ and like having a hood, so i was hoping of figuring out a way to lower temperature without having to spend so much money on a chiller :p
I guess floating carpet hairs, not saying they would, just was thinking they might.... lol

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2816370
Well I'm stuck with the hood with the JBJ and like having a hood, so i was hoping of figuring out a way to lower temperature without having to spend so much money on a chiller :p
I guess floating carpet hairs, not saying they would, just was thinking they might.... lol
they won't.... go hoodless, get a metal halide, love your tank, add any corals you want! A metal halide was the best upgrade I ever did for my 20long a few years ago.. no joke without changing any corals and just the light, I had people coming over and asking if I got a new tank... I guess it looked so different with having a good light instead of the PC junk I had that they thought I had sold that tank and got a new one. You'll like going hoodless with a new light, it looks sweet, we're not gonna lie to you because you haven't done anything wrong to us.
Maybe if you don't want to change lights or remove the hood entirely you could cut holes in it and put in 80mm or 120mm computer fans on there... just a thought.

bang guy

http:///forum/post/2816348
Attach an aluminum heat sink to the back of the tank to dissipate heat or a fan pointed right at the tank. Or add both. Is that tank glass or Acrylic?

kromix

I believe its acrylic........
A heatsink to the back? like a regular old heatsink to the back of it? any pics?