MLB to Fans: Your irrelevant

bayside

i had the dish at my house for 2 weeks, after it rained and i didnt get to watch a twins game i ripped the ugly thing off my roof and and took the ole trust sludgehammer to it.
had on-demand high def cable ever since and couldn't be happier with it

oceanists

Originally Posted by bayside
i had the dish at my house for 2 weeks, after it rained and i didnt get to watch a twins game i ripped the ugly thing off my roof and and took the ole trust sludgehammer to it.
had on-demand high def cable ever since and couldn't be happier with it

The Deal wth DTV hasnt gone through yet and hopefully Selig and his crew along with the apologists (one particulary on this site) will get their heads out of their booties and realise it should be about what is best for the fans , they will make the same amount of money in trhe long run and keep fans that they would be losing..... I wouldnt even mind paying double for the package and im sure other die hard fans feel the same that cant access (Dirt) TV
This move would be just wrong for literaly thousands of baseball fans

oceanists

Originally Posted by watson3
They have been doing this for years with other sports though, Baseball is just the last to fall...

The NFL has always been exclusive to DirectTV unless you go all the way back to the days of LARGE Satelites. when DirectTV didnt exist
So the difference is allthough NFL is exclusive with DTV the product was never taken away from consumers that have purchased the package for 5 years running.
For football I dont mind because my parents have DTV and I always watch the games with my Dad on sunday anyway not hard to set up a sunday every week and watch football.
But Im not just your casual baseball fan that catches a game here and there .... The Boston Redsox run through my blood. I have to catch EVERY game wether DVR or live... if its DVR I wont look at scores I watch it like it is live ... minus commercials. Even if the Red soxare down 15-1 I still watch because I like how Remy and Don can make the show entertaining, I just cant make it to mty parents for every game ... its easy for football because we are talking about once a week.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Oceanists
An that is with Basic Everything ....
Second I dont really appreciate people insuating that I am a liar.
But I would expect that from you of all people. A Reggie Bush apologist.
And you miss the point entirely ... what about people who cant get Direct TV because of the area they live in ????
But I wouldnt expect you to care all you care about is dirtying your finger tips with Cheetos while stuffing you filthy stomach.
I wish people would do THEIR homework before making such GROSS statementsd <^>_
_<^>

You are not required to purchase basic everything in order to be able to purchase sports programming on DirecTV.
You are stating with your post you must purchase basic everything? That is simply not the case.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Johnny84
There is no $500.00 set-up charge, that is a thing of the past.
Correct

scubadoo

what about people who cant get Direct TV because of the area they live in ????
I beleive satellite TV is avaibale to MORE areas then cable.
From Home TV.......
Availability - Cable TV requires a service technician to install it, but is not available in some rural or sparsely populated areas. Satellite TV is available anywhere in the United States, including Hawaii and Alaska. It is recommended that a qualified technician install the dish, but you can install it yourself.
Point is cable TV is unavalable to many rural and sparsely populated areas. As to if DirectTV actaully is available to more homes/areas then cable...I don't know.
It is deabtable as to IF cable TV covers a larger area then Satellite.
The Extra Innnings baseball package was originally an exlcusive offer by DirecTV in 1996.

scubadoo

About DIRECTV | Investor Relations | DIRECTV For Business | MDU
Welcome BEN Sign Out
DIRECTV - Checkout
Entire Site Site Pages FAQs Program Guides
Buy Now Current Offer Discover DIRECTV Package Choices The DIRECTV Difference Compare DIRECTV Guide to HD Your Installation Broadband Internet E-Mail Signup Find a Retailer Fundraising Programs International Programming Packages & Programming Base Packages Channel Lineup Change Programming Buy Pay Per View Browse Pay Per View Movies Premium Channels HD Channels Local Channels Sports Channels Music Channels International Programming Championship Gaming Series DIRECTV on the Go Equipment & Services DIRECTV Plus DVR DIRECTV HD Receiver DIRECTV Plus HD DVR DIRECTV Standard Receiver Get DIRECTV Now Internet Access ACCESS DIRECTV Magazine DIRECTV Protection Plan Customer Service Contact Us FAQs Explaining Your Installation How To Use directv.com Demos & How-To System Manuals Troubleshooting Technical Help Forums Moving? Avoiding E-mail Fraud Fundraising Programs Entertainment Central What's On TV? TV Recommendations & News The Scorsese Selection Sports Schedules Video Lounge CD USA Project MyWorld ACCESS DIRECTV Magazine My Account Register Latest News NEW! Quick Links
Contact Us
Get Email Updates
Customer Login
Parental Controls
DIRECTV4Schools
Find Local Channels
Order Now 1-888-777-2454
Checkout: Payment
Back to Build Your System
Your Info Installation Address Payment Confirm Order Installation Date Summary
Payment Options
Enter your credit card number to cover startup costs so we can get you signed up for service without delay.
DIRECTV Transaction amount: $465.91

I want to pay using my:
Fields marked with * are mandatory.
* Credit Card Type: Visa
MasterCard
American Express
Discover
Optima
* Credit Card Number:
* Expiration Date:
Month 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 Year 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 * Security Number:
What is this?
Save this credit card information in my profile.
I would like to use this credit card to pay my monthly DIRECTV® bill automatically.
Billing Address
(as it appears on your credit card statement)
Same as Installation Address
New Address (fill in below)
* First Name:
* Last Name:
( First and Last name of the primary account holder )
* Address Line One:
Apt:
Address Line Two:
* City:
* State:
AL AK AZ AR CA CO CT DE DC FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NV NH NJ NM NY NC ND OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY* ZIP:
* Phone:
-- DIRECTV Terms & Conditions
By placing this order you agree to the following terms and conditions:
• Offer for new residential customers only.
• If you cancel your order prior to installation, we will issue a full refund.
• Within 30 days of provision of DIRECTV equipment to you, or on the date that the professional installer has installed or is prepared to install your DIRECTV equipment, whichever is sooner, you agree to activate each and every DIRECTV Receiver ordered by you or provided to you with any DIRECTV base programming package (valued at $29.99 per mo. or above).
• YOU WILL ACTIVATE ALL OF THE DIRECTV SYSTEM EQUIPMENT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE EQUIPMENT LEASE ADDENDUM OR YOU MAY BE CHARGED A FEE OF UP TO $150 PER RECEIVER NOT ACTIVATED.
• You must activate and maintain DVR service for 12 consecutive months ($5.99/mo.) if you purchased a DVR or HD DVR. In certain markets, programming and pricing may vary. DIRECTV® PROGRAMMING AND PRICING SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME.
• You accept the $4.99/mo. lease fee for the second and each additional receiver.
• Your receiver must be continuously connected to a land-based phone line to activate your receivers and to allow pay per view ordering by remote control.
• If you fail to maintain your programming commitment, you agree that DIRECTV® may charge you a prorated fee of up to $150 for standard equipment or $300 for advanced receivers within 7 days of downgrading or disconnecting your programming.
• Leased equipment must be returned upon disconnect. If you do not return equipment, DIRECTV® may charge a fee of up to $55 per standard, $200 per DVR, $240 per HD and/or $470 per HD DVR.
Installation is free...but there could be some very small fee attached intially. You DO NOT pay $500 up front.
When I intially went with DIRECTV...i had to buy receveirs and pay for installation years ago. It still did not total $500. It is cheaper upfront now with little cost. You do have to sign a 12 mo contract...since you are basically given the equipment.
Packages start at 29.99 per month, with some receiver costs of 4.99 per month

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Johnny84
I have Directv, I hate my local cable company. So I am glad the NFL and MLB have given Directv exclusivity. The Local cable company does the same thing with the local teams, I can not watch local sports teams on Directv because my local cable company will not sell Directv the rights to the games. So the cable company's get what they deserve. They are over priced and would love to have a monopoly.
It is actually a brilliant move by DirecTV regrading exclusive sports packages. New customers are hard to get...unless you can offer something the other guys do not have.
As to if this is the correct approach for baseball to take? Probably not...but many fans will simply switch to DirecTV.
When I moved out here from New Orleans I wanted to follow my team so I purchased a Direc TV system as opposed to cable. I had no choice...and I did not cry about it. DirecTV was the ONLY way I could go if I wished to see all the games.
This also existed in 1996 as DirecTV pioneered the extra innings product and it was exclusive.
Many are upset because they were given options...which may now be taken away as the extra innings product may move back to the 1996 set-up. . Personally, if I were a true fan of any team I would make the switch if I wanted to see the games...but that is just how I feel. Others will naturally feel differently.
It is up to baseball to determine if it is the correct decision for MLB....it is without a doubt a BRILLIANT business move by DirecTV if they pull it off.
It puts them in great position to gain market share from Dish Network and cable subscribers.
A classic business example of how to gain market share by DirecTV....whether you beleive this is a good baseball business move or a bad baseball business move.

agent707

No company (Top level)... No, not ONE ever cared about it's customers. Be it a sports team, or a factory.
To them, the ONLY thing that matters is Margins and Profit. Period. If it can make them MORE MONEY... they will do it.
The company I work for used to have 4 plants. They thought if they closed one of the plants it would bring them Higher margins and MORE Profit. So they DID! CLOSED A PLANT!!!!!!!
350 people....

Re-aligning all the manufacturing ended up costing them millions... and they are not making any more profit.
So if you think they have "EVER" cared about you. You're wrong.

oceanists

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
Installation is free...but there could be some very small fee attached intially. You DO NOT pay $500 up front.
When I intially went with DIRECTV...i had to buy receveirs and pay for installation years ago. It still did not total $500. It is cheaper upfront now with little cost. You do have to sign a 12 mo contract...since you are basically given the equipment.
Packages start at 29.99 per month, with some receiver costs of 4.99 per month

Thats funny Mr Businuss
I think Ill takle Direct TV's word for it over yours.
I showed you proof but as usual you choose to ignore it....
And NO Sat is not available to everybody ... what about roofs that dont point south or houses caved in by trees , or living in a rural area where DTV doesnt serv ice ....
You my friend are a moron. I know this part will be deleted soon I can only hope it is up long enough for you to see it
Dumbass

scubadoo

************* Please don't quote someone else's bad behavior. We'll remove it when we see it. 1Journeyman
4-Room DIRECTV System (4 Standard Receivers)
Start-up Cost Monthly Cost
System Installation
FREE
CHOICE PACKAGE
$49.99/mo
Handling & Delivery
FREE
Lease Fee 2nd Receiver:
$4.99/mo
Lease Fee 3rd Receiver:
$4.99/mo
Lease Fee 4th Receiver:
$4.99/mo
Start-up total
$0
Monthly Cost
$64.96
4-Room DIRECTV® DVR System (1 DVR, 3 Standard Receivers)
System Installation
FREE
CHOICE PACKAGE
$49.99/mo
Handling & Delivery
FREE
Lease Fee 2nd Receiver:
$4.99 /mo
Lease Upgrade to DVR
$99
Lease Fee 3rd Receiver:
$4.99 /mo
Instant Online Rebate
$-99
Lease Fee 4th Receiver:
$4.99 /mo
DIRECTV® DVR Subscription:
$5.99 /mo
Start-up total
$0
Monthly Cost
$70.95
4-Room DIRECTV® HD System (1 HD Receiver, 3 Standard Receivers)
System Installation
FREE
CHOICE PACKAGE
$49.99/mo
Handling & Delivery
FREE
Lease Fee 2nd Receiver:
$4.99/mo
Lease Upgrade to HD Receiver
$99
Lease Fee 3rd Receiver:
$4.99/mo
Instant Online Rebate
$-99
Lease Fee 4th Receiver:
$4.99/mo
DIRECTV HD Access:
$9.99/mo
Start-up total
$0
Monthly Cost
$74.95

the j.o.p.

i think thats great!!!!!!!!! but i hate baseball!!! now they can show some good t.v. in place of the time slot they used to waste on baseball!!!!!!!!!!!!

scubadoo

Your DIRECTV® System
You currently have no saved system.
Save Print Email
Startup Costs
Total Startup Costs: $0.00
Your First Month's Bill
CHOICE
$49.99
First Month's Total: $49.99
Mail-in Redemption -$10.00
Final Monthly Total:* $39.99
*Final Monthly Total includes a $10 bill credit per month for 12 consecutive months after one-time mail-in redemption.
Free Gift When You Sign Up
A Portable DVD Player
More Info
Promotion Code (Optional):
To order by phone
Please call 1-888-777-2454.

bayside

what does it matter what it cost? some people dont care to much about the cost of either service, but if you live in any place that isnt sunny and calm all day everyday like me then you get taken by direct tv.
i tend to like to be able to watch my tv when it is raining or storming because....... funny i tend to be inside watching tv whens its crappy out.

scubadoo

Opps..forgot the receiver...oh yeah..that;s free..and startup cost still zero. Total first month charge about 1/10th of what was posted and each month thereafter about $56 per..
Your DIRECTV® System
You currently have no saved system.
Save Print Email
Startup Costs
1 DIRECTV Plus® DVR
$99.00
Instant Online Rebate -$99.00
1 Handling and Delivery Fee
$0.00
1 Standard Professional Installation
$0.00
Total Startup Costs: $0.00
Your First Month's Bill
CHOICE
$49.99
DIRECTV DVR Service
$5.99
First Month's Total: $55.98
Mail-in Redemption -$10.00
Final Monthly Total:* $45.98

scubadoo

what does it matter what it cost? some people dont care to much about the cost of either service, but if you live in any place that isnt sunny and calm all day everyday like me then you get taken by direct tv.
i tend to like to be able to watch my tv when it is raining or storming because....... funny i tend to be inside watching tv whens its crappy out.
You are correct most fans will probably make the switch if DirecTv lands the package as cost is really a non-factor for many. SOme comparisons state that you actually get a better value over cable. However, if it is not as realiable as cable then that is a significant factor in other areas. DIrecTV even in our monsoon season here is more relaible than cable tv. I imagine that can vary from place to place.

johnny84

Sorry Bayside but your wrong. The other day we had an ice storm...I use the local cable company for my internet connection, I use Directv for my television service. The ice storm knocked out my CABLE internet not my Directv. I could watch anything I wanted too on my Directv, but I couldnt check my emails or go on the internet with my CABLE internet. I have not lost my Satellite connection due to weather and I've been a customer of Directv since 1997.

bayside

are you really talking to me about icestorms? i live in minnesota i think i have seen quite a few winter storms here, never had a problem with my ondemand hidef cable, cant say the same for direct tv. had both at the same time for a year and my cable greatly outperformed direct tv.
appreciate your opinion but direct tv isnt for me or much of minnesota, but hey thats just my opinion just like all of yours