Moby da Goby's BC 29g tank diary

Hello all!
Thought I'd keep a thread diary of my BC29 for people to comment on, help me out, even pick apart my choices.
Unfortunately I neglected to take a picture of the lovely cloudy water inside the tank when I started it up. The official start date was Jan 4th, 2010 using 7.5 lbs of live rock and 30 lbs of CaribSea live sand.
This is 09 Jan 2010. Not much to look at though.

API test kits (not strips)
SG 1.026
Ammonia <20ppm
Nitrates 0 ppm
Korilia nano powerhead coming next week and heater moving to the back!
Hopefully be adding more LR tomorrow. My plan is to aquascape the rock to form a high point at the middle back and a U shape around to the front. I would like to have rock shelves to put some corals on and space in the front for any corals that would like a sand bottom.

nissan577

same here!
looks great already! i like your idea of the u-shape many of us just stack it. can wait to see it finish!

I potentially would like to add the following
about 4-5 small fish:
-Two percula clowns for sure (for the wife)
-Firefish or dottyback
-yellow clown goby - saw these on other pics of nano reefs and really liked the character of them
-Aiming for about 15 snails of various types (except turbos)
-peppermint shrimp with maybe a pistol shrimp
Is it true that hermits will go after corals or knock them over? I would like to add some blue and red legged ones.
Corals

I've fallen in love with zoos from pictures here. Reading about them, I think I could handle those.
Xenias I also like, especially when they grow into larger colonies
Mushrooms I'm pondering but not sure how much they spread
Frogspawn, Hammer coral or Pearl Bubble coral
As my older SW tank was mostly fish I am rather inexperienced with corals so would like to start with some easier care corals then progress from there. I don't plan on upgrading the lights right away in the BC

tampashane

I have heard many people say stay away from hermits but I have 20 of them in my 29 biocube and never had a problem. Been up around 6 months. They don't bother anything...yet at least.

meowzer

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3206280
reason people hate hermits is cause they knock down every frag!!!!

Mine never knocked things over....just liked to eat the snails....no matter how many shells were in there

pdmxb2000

tank looks nice, i went with the same concept for aquascaping! and im not a huge fan of hermits either, i have maybe 3, i like just using snails. i have about 15-20 various snails, and 2 emerald crabs in my 28g. they do a really good job. the 3 hermits i do actually have always knock things down, i had to go buy epoxy for my frags now to glue them down

Jan 10, 2010 aka Aquascaping 101 (sorry for the bad photos, didn't pull out the tripod)
Added 7.5 lbs live rock and spent an hour trying to find the nicest layout. Still not thrilled but better than my first 100 attempts.

Got some neat somethings on a piece of rock!

Is it alive or dead polyps? Only time will tell.

ETA: Diatoms starting, 10&#37; water change completed (tests after water change)
SG 1.025
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrates < 5 ppm

All signs point to this little polyp <?> being alive. I see a black tentacle coming out of the center as well as they open and close several times a day!

The feather dusters are coming out! (Hard to see I know but it's there)

FTS - diatoms started approx early this week, a water change done and just need to wait it out

SG 1.025
Ammonia, nitrates = 0
Temp 80
ETA: The tank is a wee bit cloudy as I was puttering around in there

I'd love to add more LR rock immediately but household bills need to be paid first.
Damn those losing lottery numbers!!
I also have my eye on a piece of rock at the LFS that has a colony of assorted zoos on it that is for sale. Hopefully it will be there for a while.
Going to check out ceriths today and see they have.

Originally Posted by AQUAPOD 24
http:///forum/post/3210652
you could fill up the rest with baserock if you want to save some money... it will become "alive" eventually
Absolutely and I had great success with doing that on my old tank. The LFS I use has really nice live rock though, tonnes of coralline algae, feather dusters and the occasional hitchhiker. I've been looking at the base rock available and I am going to buy a piece to see if I can "sculpt" it with a hammer and chisel to suit my tank.
The LR with green star polyps was still there but they didn't want to hold it for me until mid Feb. Cerith snails are currently acclimating though!

Well it seems, after double checking online, that my LFS sold me nassarius snails instead of ceriths. Oh well, the algae and poo is getting cleaned up regardless between my astrea and nassarius.
Lesson for LFS, perhaps don't keep 5 different types of snails in the same tank :) and don't depend on the buyer's poor snail ID to point them out