Moderator attitudes...

broncofish

Originally posted by tangsfornuttin
Those of you that know me well, will back up that statement.

I'll back that up..James has been the umm...well.. most vibrant ya ya thats the word vibrant of a lot of members. I would have to say that this board has done extremely well. If you think about it there are OT threads on politics that stay open for days...most boards won't even allow them.
All though I have to admit I have seen a few posts lately from mods that well it seem like a case of footinyourmouth disease went around the Shark Tank. But hey it happens to the members all the time, so why not the mods. I would like to point out to the mods though...if you trashed this board on another BB before becoming a mod you should probably go back and delete that post..just saying, not mentioning any names.

ophiura

Topic has been covered before, broncofish, if you are talking about me? LOL I'm sure you won't give specifics. I certainly don't see any need to change anything. Not one to hide my past and pretend I'm something else. My opinions were true enough at the time. Different now. Like James, I can learn to appreciate the rules too ;)
Funny that, really, that you mention James. I believe this first came up in a thread related to him too. LOL. Remember that one James? :D

infalable

I think I have the answer to everyones concern here - go re-read the red spong thread. It will solve all probs.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by ophiura
Like James, I can learn to appreciate the rules too ;)

James appreciates rules?? :confused:
;)

lizardworks

I do believe the mods should be held to a higher standard. They have been appointed as representatives of the operators of this board and any behavior of theirs, good or bad, is a reflection of the board and Saltwaterfish.com, whether this board is actually a division of SWF or not.
I have seen people get banned for behavior that was not any different from the same things I have seen from some of the moderators. Not all of course. A lot of the mods here are very professional and helpful, as they all should be. But I have seen some really cut on people with no public consequences. I didn't think that what was said in the "Morphing" thread constituted 'attitude' but I have seen it. I have also seen some flat out ignore members when they needed something. And I'm not talking about a 'help me' post. I mean direct personal contact.
There is a lot of information to be had and shared here, but I think the mods should
be held to a higher standard than the other members, otherwise, why should they be mods?

broomer5

We're all polyp whipped to some degree.
Hopefully my online attitude is appropriate for this place.
I'm sure sometimes people feel that it's not though.
If anyone has an issue with me - just ask ;)
Won't hurt my feelings - I can assure you.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by broomer5
We're all polyp whipped to some degree.

ROFLMAO .....
so - how much do you mods get paid??? Hmmmm yet something else to keep in mind ....

broncofish

Originally posted by Kipass4130
i have issues with you broom... you are too damned smart and i am jealous :)

As kipass's lips go into a tight pucker..hehehe just meesing with you kip:p

wamp

People sometimes take things a bit too serious or even the wrong way alot. It is writing on a BB... Some people including myself are not as skilled at writing than others. What may sound like attitude or smartassness is actully neither... There are several members that I have taken the wrong way on lots more that have read my writing wrong (Or it typed it wrong)
My whole point. It is a BB... No more no less... People will always make you mad, hurt your feelings etc... Just let it go. Don't worry about others, just worry about the way you treat people, you will not change them...
And to Rendos... Seems to me in your first post at the top, your giving a bit of attitude.. I suggest you check it before posting... I rember a couple of times coming to your defense because of your writing style. People took it the wrong way.. It happens to all of us. But... I do know all...
:)
It's all good in the hood... Be cool

richard rendos

I don't mind a little heat on me. I actually enjoy it from time to time, but I started this in defense of someone else on this board who emailed me and thanked me for it. So to those of you who feel I am wrong and should just shut up...maybe you're right. For those of you who feel I am right...maybe you're right. Maybe I should just stay out of other people's business altogether. Nah...you guys are stuck with me like it or not.
wamp - I'll deal with you later.

radcast2

I must agree with most of this.
I do feel if your a moderator than you should be the one responding to those being Jerks or idiots and the smat butt coments not the jerks or idiots, or ones giving the smart butt coments. I once saw a skimmer post and the mods reply was well i dont like your skimmer, its a piece of junk, never did answer the question just told him what a piece of junk he had. Now come on. And you actually expect that person to come back or support this site or store? Not gonna happen.
Of course there are times when things are taken wrong or out of context but a correction should be made ASAP, and clarified by say I'm sorry. It really isnt hard to say when your wrong. If you dont treat people with respect dont expect to be treated with respect.

wamp

Bring it on....
P.S. I ordered my 65 yesterday. I need some lights for it. You got any lying around you want to get rid of?

wamp

I once saw a skimmer post and the mods reply was well i dont like your skimmer, its a piece of junk, never did answer the question just told him what a piece of junk he had.
I call you on that one... I seriously doubt those words were ever used. I would like to read the post you are refering too...

wamp

Oh.... In that case... Skilters are crap. Nothing more than a way to move water if you ask me..

sammystingray

That might have been me......they are crap. You want it sugar coated? They are quite known for being crap the world over, and are very very inferior crap to just about any skimmer in existence....even the old crappy seaclones are better......like I have never bought something crappy that didn't work well??? I may have said the skimmer sucked, but how is that attitude?? If I said "he" sucked for buying it......that's different. Now I can't even say what equipment I like or don't like?? That's crap.:p

broomer5

I deleted it.
I'll paste it back in - was debating whether to even post it to begin with.
A moderator's role is to watch the board and read a lot of threads.
Keeping an eye out for inappropriate language, deleting things that are offensive to the general public and kids, and occasionally having to put on the striped shirt and blow a whistle.
If that's all we did - it would be a very boring and tiresome task.
Moderators, like all members here LOVE THE HOBBY.
We like to participate too and help where we can.
We all learn by participating - and sometimes a good debate is what brings things to light.
By no means are we experts at this - we do it cause we like the board and saltwater tanks - just like everyone else.
Although there are several mods that I would consider somewhat an expert in certain fields - mainly disease and the treatment of sick fish, and general knowledge of marine aquariums. But it's still a hobby for them - they don't get paid.
If I had to make a choice of being moderator that was not allowed to ask questions or participate .. or being a member without the moderator role ........... I would want to be a member and stay active in the discussions.
If a moderator comes across with what seems like an attitude, I'm sure in most every case it's not a personal attack on someone.
Maybe sometimes - but certainly not the norm.
Is it right ?
Is it wrong ?
It is what it is.
People are people
Members are people
Moderators are people
No one is perfect and we all make good and bad judgments everyday.
I am done now - have fun !