mollies in saltwater tank

dive1

Has anyone tried to add mollies to their saltwater tank? I have read that this could be done if you take your time with a slow drip. They are great grasers and their live young will be great food for others? I bought a black and two gold sailfin mollies eairly today and have been doing a drip since they were home. They seem to be doing ok so far. The water depth in their bucket has gone from about 3" to 8" so far and I intend to go a few more inches before I try them in the tank..

ty@heidi

Dive 1, Molly's, especially the black molly's can be acclimated to salt water. They make for an inexpensive way to start new tanks, as they are cheaper the damsles, and you can use them as feeders because they can live in salt water. I breed them in my fresh water tank, then transfer the babies to the salt water tank for fish food.

dive1

Thanks....I understand they love to eat algae...is that true? Thought they might be part of a clean up crew.

dive1

I finally got the newcomers in the reef. Will let you know if they make it. They looked happy getting out of that small store tank and into the 110 gal. It does look like everyone will have to adjust to new neighbors though and who belongs where.:D