Molting?

jacklax

I've had a cleaner shrimp for about 2 weeks now...and it's molted twice already. Any idea how often they molt?
My readings are...
ammonia - 0
tirites - 0
trates - .25
Phos - .25
temp - 79
cal - ~420
dkh - 110
ph - 8.2
iodine - barely even registers on the test.
I have been using Purple Up since I got the shrimp...
Thanks

bang guy

Typically the adults will molt about every 28 days. The younger immature Shrimp will molt more often the younger they are.
If your shrimp is an adult and molting once a week then it's a symptom of some type of poisoning. Iodine is the most common toxin for them but copper, tin, zinc, etc. are also toxins commonly found in tap water.
What test kit are you using to test your Iodine level? Does it also test Iodate or Iodide?

jacklax

Thanks Bang Guy -
The shrimp is about 2.5 inches long (body)...so I don't believe it's a juvenile. I use ro/di water, so the metals shouldn't be a problem. Copper has never been used in my tank. I have a seachem iodine test...i don't believe that it tests for iodate or iodide.

bang guy

See how it does over the next few weeks. Stress (new environment) can also cause excess molting.

jacklax

Will do. He was pretty cramped at the lfs...so it's tough to say how rough he had it. The transition seemed very smooth...he doesn't hide much at all...instead staying purched on the highest point of rock in the tank.
Thanks again Bang Guy...you've been very helpful quite a bit lately...I appreciate it.