Moonlights.

joe____17

How many people here have them. Im debating getting one but im still not sure, any advantages to having one or are they just aesthetic?

flower

I originally got mine because something ate my frogspawn. Turned out it was a horrible worm that looked like a centipede. I never saw it till I had moonlights up.
Now, I like looking at my tank at night, it is the only time I see my serpent star eat. The new growth of coraline glows under the moonlights like a blacklight effect, really cool.

I paid $35.00 a piece for those goose neck type moonlights. Now I have a moonlight strip, which only cost $40.00. I can't direct the light the way I could with the gooseneck ones but it still looks awesome.
I recommend them!

meowzer

I love the look too...My 225g light came with them built in
I have one of the "goose neck" as Flower put it lights over my 54g....The 54g has one of thsoe little white lights that IMO does nothing...The blue LED that I added is just enough for that tank

jackri

Mine are built in... just like the soft glow of light in the dark laying on the couch if I don't feel good or up late with the baby -- and cool to see new things in the tank in the dark.

flower

Yep, mine used to look that nice.
The little necks go limp and just hang there, (they do just pop back into place, over and over again). After you twist on them enough over time they kind of get where they are stiff and not want to manipulate easy anymore.
The LED strips work much better and they are cheaper. One strip that covers the whole tank, cost the same as one goose neck type. I needed 4 or 5 to cover my 48' 90g.

flower

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2994699
Mine are built into the hood system, way to go IMO or like the above pic.
I just bought retrofit MH lighting, they did not come with moonlights, this was the best I could get. They work great, but it takes up space and I have to move them out of my way when I service the tank.

jdl

I have the MLC module for the Reefkeeper Lite controller. The moonlights are set to the actual moon brightness. basically if it is a new moon outside, the lights will barely show. It follows the actual rotation of the moon.

flower

I love the tank, do the night critters behave the same even with weird colors?
It took mine a while under moonlights before they would come out. At first they hid. So I wonder if they hide when the colors change or just got used to night lights, no matter the color?

05xrunner

yea they act a bit suprised with them...and when others say fish cannot see red spectrum I am finding that hard to believe cause they react to the red led's when they are turned on

mabena

Just wanted to say...i saw this post and went to get those exact led lights you bought from Ikea...THEY ARE AWESOME....I am using 2 strips for my 30g Long.