More 120g updates

attml

Here is an update of my 120g. I keep adding corals - here are a few shots.
Full tank shot

attml

Fishman830,
Thank you very much! It is about 90% base rock. With my prior tanks I always got tired of scrubbing/pulling macro algae (even with the fuge competing for food). I went mostly with base rock then added a few select pieces of LR that had no macro algae growing on it at all.
Mark

S

spsaddict

as always it looks spectacualr... how long have you had your carpet? i have some sadlebacks and i am getting a carpet on fri. any tricks to having it thrive?

attml

NM,
Thank you very much!!! All of my stuff looks brown because it has been in my frag tank under 10k HQI halides with no actenics while the new tank has been maturing. Now that I have it back under the standard halides with actenic support I should start getting some color back! I haven't seen any pictures of your new setup lately. How is it coming? I expect no less than a 6 pack very soon!!!:) Take care!
spsaddict,
Thank you very much!!! I have had the carpet for a couple of months. I also have a LTA & a RBTA in other tanks that I have had for a while. The key is to just give it healthy water conditions and moderate indirect flow. Stability is the key with all anemone species. If you have clean water and you are good about keeping your lighting, flow, temp, salinity and feedings stable the anemone will have no reason to move around once it settles in your tank. My RBTA & LTA haven't moved more than 2 inches from their original spot in the last 7 months. The Carpet is in my SPS tank so my water always stays super clean in there anyway. I feed it every other day and I vary between silversides & krill. It is a good idea with all new anemones to soak or inject the food in Zoe or Selcon. Anemones often come in stressed and Zoe & Selcon help. IME, the added vitamins and aminos seem to be helpful in the recovery process. Just start out with small chunks of food and keep your clowns away until the anemone takes it on it's own to start. Good luck!
Mark

fishman830

Originally posted by attml
Fishman830,
Thank you very much! It is about 90% base rock. With my prior tanks I always got tired of scrubbing/pulling macro algae (even with the fuge competing for food). I went mostly with base rock then added a few select pieces of LR that had no macro algae growing on it at all.
Mark

i have 120 lbs of base rock and 10 lbs of live rock in my tank, the base rock is hawaiian, today i'll be getting my order for 50 lbs of live rock(fiji, and from this site)

rossim

What is the benefit of going with mostly base rock? I know eventually it will turn into LR, but what's the benefit upfront? Just curious since I'm looking to get a 120 gal once I move.

fishman830

Originally posted by rossim
What is the benefit of going with mostly base rock? I know eventually it will turn into LR, but what's the benefit upfront? Just curious since I'm looking to get a 120 gal once I move.

it's cheap