More 120g updates

chris17

I think its the cost of base rock compared to lr. Base rock is alot less expensive than live rock, plus there is nothing growing , or catching a ride on it , so that means nothing that you arent going to want in you tank. correct me if I am wrong.....:D

rossim

Originally posted by Fishman830
it's cheap

I can see where 200 lbs of LR would get very expensive. Didn't even think of that. Thanks!

attml

Thanks for the replies guys!
today i'll be getting my order for 50 lbs of live rock(fiji, and from this site)
Cool! I have heard great things about SWF.coom's LR!
What is the benefit of going with mostly base rock?
Cheap is always good especially in this hobby, but I went with base rock to avoid the macro algae issue. I actually took some of the LR from my 30 gallon that I took down and bleached and boiled it for this tank. A lot of the old rock I had was Fla aquacultured and it had a lot of halemdia on it which has no known predators and it would just suck the calcium out of my water. I also had this nasty red wire type macro algae that would start choking off my SPS if I didn't stay ahead of it. I left some of my old LR rock on my porch in the sun for 3 weeks and that nast red wire stuff was still alive!! The only thing that killed it was bleach. I just didn't want that to happen again!! I already have coraline growing on the base rock so it seems to be working out the way I had hoped so far! hopefully the macro will stay away this time!