morrish idol

sinister52

i have a morrish idol which seams to eat only clams how long can i leave clams in the tank without it messing up nitrates or anything like that?

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by sinister52
i have a morrish idol which seams to eat only clams how long can i leave clams in the tank without it messing up nitrates or anything like that?

Well, I would only leave them in a few hours at the most. Replace them every day if that is all he is eating.

anthropo

well i hopeyou realize that ur fish is gonna die, did you ask anyone about moorish idols before you bought it?

my way

Originally Posted by anthropo
well i hopeyou realize that ur fish is gonna die, did you ask anyone about moorish idols before you bought it?
And you know this for fact? Honestly I'm really getting sick of people telling someone their fish WILL die. The odds of keeping an Idol alive long term are slim, but that does not mean this person's fish will die. Unless you mean that all living things die eventually, which is inevitable.

firedog

Good luck with your Moorish Idol. :cheer: I have dreams of keeping one some day in the future, despite the slim chances. Nevermind the naysayers, some people are sunshine and others are rainclouds
I have been trying to find information on keeping them and perhaps compiling it in a thread. I understand that very little is known.
It sounds like your fish is eating so maybe you don't have a problem there. Hopefully you will get it to take a varied diet, as I understand that even if they do eat they suffer from nutrition problems. But I will add that I just read in a magazine that yellow tangs (and maybe this includes other fish from the Zebrasoma family?) help to get the moorish idol to feed by serving as a dither fish. Maybe this information will help you in the future.
Also I recall someone on here stating that his moorish idol died when he changed his carbon to chemipure. So apparently they can be very sensitive to changes in water quality/conditions.
I also read that moorish idols have been bred in captivity here in the US, but the fry did not survive, which I believe was due to a long pelagic stage. So perhaps there is some hope for you and your fish.
Well hopefully this thread will bring something more to the table other than "your fish will die." Again I salute you for taking on the challenge. I hope you keep up updated on the situation. :cheer:
On a side note, why is the assumption made that since you decided to take on a moorish idol that you didn't know what you were getting into?

coachklm

Originally Posted by Firedog
On a side note, why is the assumption made that since you decided to take on a moorish idol that you didn't know what you were getting into?

because 8 out of 9 die in first 6 months and that one left is ussualy toast within a year
because their main nutritional value comes from sponges
because they are a schooling fish
because they need extra large tanks
because ..... to be continued...
because:Moorish Idols will often pick at LPS corals, and certain soft coral polyps. Although this fish primarily eats coraline algae and sponge in nature, this doesn't mean that it might not pick at other types of sessile invertebrates, or maybe even motile crustaceans.
because...

oxbeard

Originally Posted by My Way
And you know this for fact? Honestly I'm really getting sick of people telling someone their fish WILL die. The odds of keeping an Idol alive long term are slim, but that does not mean this person's fish will die. Unless you mean that all living things die eventually, which is inevitable.
I couldn't agree more. I just found this board a few months ago and at the time was very excited about finding a new source of information. However, I must admit that over the last several weeks I have been very disheartened with the board as a whole. While there are still many informational posts I have found the the majority of threads end up acussing, scolding, or outright being hateful and condemning the aquarist who started the thread.
I must also commend Firedog. I think their response is a perfect example of how responses should be made inorder to promote a helpful and informative community. coachklm on the otherhand has got to be one of the biggest criticizers I have seen during the time I have spent here.

04mach

Wow, can you give me the winning lottery numbers?

anthropo

Originally Posted by My Way
yes i know this for a fact....the success rate for these beauties are slim to none. i have only talked to 1 person out of a ton of people who had success with these and that person had a HUGE tank, i think it was around 400+ gallons. this tank was also a 5 year old tank before he even decided to even try this fish. the other was a public aquarium which was an even bigger system of course. i definitely didn't mean eventually as in all living things will die, i meant it will die within a year. which is sad because these fish live a lot longer in the wild than a year. if your sick of people telling other people that their fish will die then maybe you should spread the word for people to do their research before impulse buying.

darth tang

yes i know this for a fact....the success rate for these beauties are slim to none. i have only talked to 1 person out of a ton of people who had success with these and that person had a HUGE tank, i think it was around 400+ gallons. this tank was also a 5 year old tank before he even decided to even try this fish. the other was a public aquarium which was an even bigger system of course. i definitely didn't mean eventually as in all living things will die, i meant it will die within a year. which is sad because these fish live a lot longer in the wild than a year. if your sick of people telling other people that their fish will die then maybe you should spread the word for people to do their research before impulse buying.

Amazing. You made this scientific deduction without any facts or information. I am amazed you already know what size tank, amount of live rock, and age of the tank in question, or how long he has had the idol.
By the way, the guy didn't ask if his moorish idol will die. He asked if he should take the clams out of his when they are not being fed on. He didn't ask anything about moorish idols. Pay attention!!!!
Now I remember why I took a break from these forums.

elvictre

How about someone give Sinister52 a chance to give tank specs before blasting him. For all we know the guy can have a 500 gal tank.
As far as impulse buying in this hobby. I agree with you on that, but let's be honest. Without the internet there is not a lot of places to get good information. LFS just want to move merchandise and will say anything and you really don't find a lot of books in there either.
Now on the Moorish Idol. I for one love this fish. I would not put one in my current tank but I am in the process of building a 670 gal reef with 2 or 3 of these fish in mind in the future. I can also say this everything in this hobby at one point was hard to keep. You cannot tell me that the very first time someone collected a bubble coral or a clownfish that they had success right from the start. Isn't this what it is about?
Vic

elvictre

One more point to add. Maybe just maybe he is on to something when it comes to his clams. Did you think of that. Wouldn't that be good to see that the Moorish Idol need a steady diet of clams in order to survive in captivity. Then I think people would owe him an apology.
Vic

emmitt

What exactly is the problem anyways anthropo??
Would you rather the fish stayed at the LFS where it would certainly die? At least with this person it has a chance, even if slim. I know people will argue supply and demand but no matter what lfs will get them and people will buy them. Rather than see them die in a tiny tank at the lfs at least give them a chance with a caring owner.
Just yesterday at my lfs, they sold a guy a 75 gallon tank, 75 gallons of salt water pre-mixed and let him buy 2 clowns, a blue tang, a green carpet, 2 arrow crabs and a fire shrimp. They literallt told him that he could pour in the premixed water, let it sit for an hour and then add the fish and inverts :mad: UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

darth tang

Originally Posted by emmitt
What exactly is the problem anyways anthropo??
Would you rather the fish stayed at the LFS where it would certainly die? At least with this person it has a chance, even if slim. I know people will argue supply and demand but no matter what lfs will get them and people will buy them. Rather than see them die in a tiny tank at the lfs at least give them a chance with a caring owner.
Just yesterday at my lfs, they sold a guy a 75 gallon tank, 75 gallons of salt water pre-mixed and let him buy 2 clowns, a blue tang, a green carpet, 2 arrow crabs and a fire shrimp. They literallt told him that he could pour in the premixed water, let it sit for an hour and then add the fish and inverts :mad: UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

And what did you do to correct this misinformation. Anything? Or did you just watch the new unsuspecting customer walk out the door with their purchases?

emmitt

No, since you asked, unlike you i actually did something other than stir up trouble here on the boards. I told the guy he has to wait at least a month to let the tank cycle and everything will die. He told me he used to have a saltwater tank and this is the way he did it before.

my way

So again how do you know THIS particular fish is going to die? You know nothing of how long this person has owned this fish, nor do you know anything about his or hers expertise, let alone their setup. Yes I agree it's a slim chance to get one to live for more than a year, but it has been done.

P

phishface

dang. is this the agressive response forum? what do you think about the time frame of the clams in the water? that was the question, right? not "what do you think about keeping an idol?" talk about bite your head off. isnt this here to help ppl?

firedog

Originally Posted by coachKLM
because 8 out of 9 die in first 6 months and that one left is ussualy toast within a year
because their main nutritional value comes from sponges
because they are a schooling fish
because they need extra large tanks
because ..... to be continued...
because:Moorish Idols will often pick at LPS corals, and certain soft coral polyps. Although this fish primarily eats coraline algae and sponge in nature, this doesn't mean that it might not pick at other types of sessile invertebrates, or maybe even motile crustaceans.
because...

I did not mean to imply that moorish idols are not difficult or next to impossible. The point I was trying to make was that since he said he had a moorish idol it seems most people assume he didn't know what he was getting into. Some people here seem to jump all over anyone who asks a question. They start with the assumption that if you ask a question you know absolutely nothing.
I know they are difficult to impossible. But I have heard of anecdotes that the fish has been bred in captivity, that a few people have had some success. At least he got over the hurdle of getting the fish to eat. Maybe he will pave the way for others to follow.
But thanks Coach for also reminding us of some of the difficulties (being serious here, not sarcastic).
And I would like to hear how long he has kept the fish, and what size tank, etc. The original point of these boards was to share information, not pound on anyone who comes seeking information. Maybe the original poster will be #9, or maybe he will be #10 (that would be the guy who keeps the fish for a long period of time).

alyssia

Originally Posted by oxbeard
I couldn't agree more. I just found this board a few months ago and at the time was very excited about finding a new source of information. However, I must admit that over the last several weeks I have been very disheartened with the board as a whole. While there are still many informational posts I have found the the majority of threads end up acussing, scolding, or outright being hateful and condemning the aquarist who started the thread.
I must also commend Firedog. I think their response is a perfect example of how responses should be made inorder to promote a helpful and informative community. coachklm on the otherhand has got to be one of the biggest criticizers I have seen during the time I have spent here.

I personally find coach's responses to be very informative, not critical.