Most Reef Safe.

cedarreef

Which of these dwarf angels would be the most "reef-safe"? They would go in a 46g mixed reef with an occelaris clown, sixline, and potential midas blenny.

Most are going to tell you "None of the Above" because even small angels still like to 'pick'. Some will say that if you're watchful they might be fine but I've just subscribed to the fact that I'm not going to get to have them.

cedarreef

I know that most are still prone to nip on some coral, but I've heard total success stories with small angels. I would just like to hear from the people who have had success with some of these fish.

Have a coral beauty and has never bothered anything, my friend has a flame and has no problems in a reef either, but I think every fish is an individual but I believe with these two you have good odds.

jackri

Oh, I like the saying "monitor with corals"
Once it's in the tank isn't it arleady too late?

canareef

I have a coral beauty and he's great with my corals I've never seen him look twice at anything. Now my maroon clown gets tuned in every couple of days when he wanders away from his anemone. Had them both for almost a year and they have never gotten along.

cedarreef

Seems like the coral beauty is winning so far. I guess it's still a gamble, but it seems that coral beauties have a lesser taste for coral.

nycbob

i hv a flame in my reef. when it comes to dwarf angels, u cant beat the flame angel in colors.

cedarreef

WOW! That's so true. I LOVE the flame angel, but my LFS said that they will eat zoos and pick at clams until they explode. I guess that's not always true.

nycbob

if u start off with a small specimen, the chance of it bothering corals and clams r less imo since they havent learned to eat those things yet from the wild. i hv a coral beauty in my fowlr, and he eats my xenia. when i got the cb though, he was much bigger. all dwarf angels will nip, but as long as they dont constantly nip at the same coral or invert, then i think its fine.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2957500
if u start off with a small specimen, the chance of it bothering corals and clams r less imo since they havent learned to eat those things yet from the wild. i hv a coral beauty in my fowlr, and he eats my xenia. when i got the cb though, he was much bigger. all dwarf angels will nip, but as long as they dont constantly nip at the same coral or invert, then i think its fine.
Correct. The intent of the dwarf angel is just to get at the zooxanthellae algae. Not directly consume an entire polyp, like a coral eater might.
(/// -- That guy)
I would get a small flame as well. FWIW a Singapore angel, isn't a dwarf

cedarreef

Makes sense... I'll try to have the LFS order me a really small flame angel or just get one from here. Those are one of my favorite fish out there

nycbob

i got my flame angel from here. i put in under special request: give me the smallest flame angel in stock. i was really skeptical at first since i hv 5 clams. so far, the flame has behave (knock on wood).

cedarreef

Cool. I've always been a bit skeptical about buying livestock online, but SWF seems like a really good place. How long have you had your flame? It's beautiful.

jerryatrick

A local reefer and I have had 3 different cherub angels that never touched a coral. They are not as pretty as the coral beauty or flame but I bet you that they have more personality.

cedarreef

Hmm. Good to know. Do you have any clams with the cherubs? I plan to get a maxima or crocea in a few months, and I don't want it to get eaten.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by CedarReef
http:///forum/post/2958130
Hmm. Good to know. Do you have any clams with the cherubs? I plan to get a maxima or crocea in a few months, and I don't want it to get eaten.
Not sure if I had my maxima clam when the angel was in the tank. I wouldn't worry about it. If it begins to nip you have to make a decision on who is going to a new home.

meowzer

I have a flame and coral beauty..neither of them have gone near any of my zoas, xenia, gsp...etc...so mine bother nothing