Mothers Day gift- bouquet of suncorals

mproctor4

My hubbie presented me with an early Mothers Day gift (we both work on mothers day--uugghh). I have some suncorals for over a year now that I really like and having been looking to add some different varieties. He found this beautiful bouquet of suncorals. It is difficult to see from the pictures but they are sitting on a large, flat clam that is alive. It is approximately 7" in diameter and the suncorals cover the entire surface so you can't see them all at once. We put them in the tank last night and about 3/4 of them opened up and looked healthy. I'm confident that the others will open up and do well also.

jerth6932

Very nice! I wish I could talk my wife into fish/coral/equiptment for mothers day
! Anyways very sweet!!!

mproctor4

Thank you both. We have "his and her" tanks Actually, I introduced him to the hobby so i am more than okay with it. I love flowers, but personnally would much rather have something for the tank (but NOT equipment). It will last much longer, hopefully
He liked them so much he got one for his tank too. You can see a small corner of his on the right side of picture #2. They are both in QT for now so they will be tricky to feed until they are in the bigger tank, but we can work around that.
Happy mother's day to all.

mproctor4

Sorry if I'm boring you all with pictures, but I just really like these. This is what they looked like when we got home from work tonight.
The second picture is my original suncorals that were brought back from the brink of death. I'm pretty proud of those too.

mproctor4

They actually have a greenish tint to them at certain angles when they are closed up. Our guy at the LFS said they were green when open but under our light they mostly look dark grey/black when open. The piece I have (on the left) has 2 smaller pieces of black, hubbies (on the right) has 2 large pieces and then 1 small piece on the back that you can't see in the pictures. I really liked the light yellow suncorals on the left as well, I have never seen them that light around here. I just like the contrasting colors. Thanks for commenting.

mrdc

Very nice! Do you have trouble feeding them? My fish and shrimp would never let mine eat.

mproctor4

Right now I'm not having any problems feeding them because they are in hubbies tank going thru QT for a few weeks and he has been feeding them for me! His tank is fallow right now so we put them in there to QT. Good deal for me huh? lol I will say it is a bit tight in his tank and will be easier to feed once they are in the big tank with a bit more room. The second picture in post #6 are the suncorals that have been in my tank for about a year and a half. They didn't do so well for a while but they are beautiful now that I figured it out. It is interesting because the new suncorals seem to like higher flow and the original suncorals seem to like lower flow.
You just have to try different placement and see what they like. I have found the easiest and most effective way to feed for me has been to use an orange juice container with the bottom cut off. You could use a soda bottle too but it is a lighter weight plastic and I noticed the fish and hermit crabs have an easier time tipping it over and getting under it. I chop up the mysis a little bit and sometimes throw some cyclopes in. I use a small turkey baster and gently blow the food into the top of the orange juice container. I wait about 15-20 min and gently blow the water on the inside edge of the container to stir up the mysis on the bottom of the tank. I repeat this 3 or 4 times. The smaller pieces seem to digest easier and by doing this I am pretty sure each head gets fed at least once, most of them mult. times. I usually feed in the evening and leave the top off the container so there is a little bit of water flow but the other critters in the tank can't get to it. If they are given the chance everything in the tank will pick at it. Occassionally by morning a hermit and a snail or two are in the container, but by then the suncorals have digested everything. Last week I found my cleaner wrasse in the container, it was funny because he was frustrated trying to get out.
When they weren't doing very well I fed every other day, for the last several months I have fed every 3 days. I love the suncoral, they add a lot of color to the tank, open everytime I feed the tank now, and are really pretty easy to keep. I am guessing with the new, larger group of suncorals I might have to use a milk jug, just hoping it fits through my top easily.

mproctor4

This is my night for updates. The suncoral bouquet has been out of QT and in the DT for about 2 weeks now. It was such a tight space in the QT they were difficult to feed. It is hard to tell in the pictures but the two clumps of suncorals on the right and left are yellow and the smaller ones are orange, for some reason under the antics and on my camera they look the same. The yellow and black suncoral look like they are on steroids!! The orange suncorals would not open up until I got them into the DT and had room to put a container around them. It took several days to get them to open at all and then they didn't have any tentacles
. I started feeding them with Cyclopes and minced mysis, left the orange juice container on them all night, and let the food mixture just lay on top of them. They must have been absorbing something because most of the food would be gone by morning and they now have baby tentacles. They have a long way to go but I am sure they will pull thru. I think I am going to have to upgrade to a milk jug though, they aren't fitting too well in the extra large OJ container. Just thought I would share the progress.

grians

@vmproctor4: The suncorals are beautiful. I really love them. Unfortunately my wife would definitely be not happy if I would present her corals. Each year I use mothers day flower delivery and she really likes the flower bouquets I am sending her on mother's day. Maybe next year I will ask her if she would also be happy if I would present her such wonderful suncorals. At least I would be happy with them.