Moving up

srt8

Well I found an awesome buy on a 18 month old 300 gallon complete reef setup,will post more as I do the move,it is 6 foot by 3 foot and starphire glass. More to follow

flower

+2
300g...oh the dreams I used to have of getting a tank that size. I'm waiting on those pictures.

srt8

I started the move today,it has some really nice live rock,all medium to large pieces,very porous and lots of holes,I manage to move almost all the rock out and back to my home in a few tubs of salt water in the dark with heater and and pumps I'm going to leave it this way,the rock was under a cyano attack because the guy had some issues with worn out filters in his RO setup but a while in the dark should do wonders on that.It has some real nice metal Halide lights but I would like to eventually go all LED to save on electric,I'm going to build a mounting setup for all the LEDS I currently have plus a few more to take place of the metal halides,it has a nice stand and canopy too. I will document this move with pics.

srt8

No pics yet,some of the things included with the tank are a 90 gallon sump,a reef octopus5000int skimmer,a uv sterilizer,a nice 500watt heater with Ranco controller,3 250 watt sunlight supply metal halide lights and reflectors,a 6 stage RO system,2 55gallon food grade containers,a pump for water changes.2 3250 Gph Hydor power heads,2 basea media reactors, a water blaster return pump,One thing that I will be wanting soon is a calcium reactor setup. It also has a nice custom oak stand in espresso finish but the canopy will need doors as that's the only thing he didn't get done but it is also a nice canopy that opens on the front flip up or doors and if I'm not mistaken the sides open also,I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that's a majority of it. The stand is waterproofed in the underneath and the canopy ******** is painted bright white,the stand is built higher than normal which is fine by me as that is what I wanted which also leaves a lot of room underneath.he had an acrylic sump at one time but it sprang a leak so it now has a 90 gallon tank as the sump with the skimmer area partitioned. Ideally I would like a different sump with area for macros although the area where he has live rock in I could put macros I guess.

srt8

Ok Thanks Shawn,I do have a big Kalk reactor that I got on e bay a few months back that may be fine,Im trying to figure my lighting needs,I do have 3-48 inch panorama marines 1-48 inch panorama actinic blue,2-12 inch panorama pro actinic/magenta,1-12 inch 12k panorama pro and 1-12 inch panorama pro12k/actinic blue. I'm trying to figure how to make a fixture to mount all these lights and how many more I would need,Really i would just like to get some nice big powerful LED fixtures but budget is low at the moment,who makes the best LED lights for a tank this size to keep SPS? plus I have the metal halides.Getting the lights set up is up there on the list but I'm still waiting for the aquarium movers that I hired to get the tank over to my house.In the mean time I mounted in the basement the RO system and ran it to a 50 gallon container which has a Tunze topoff system going to the tank next to that container is another 50 gallon container with salt water with a pump and 3/4 inch PVC pipe going up through the floor and to the tank area for water changes.I also ran a #12 wire and 20 amp breaker dedicated circuit up to the tank area,although I need to do the final hook ups to the breaker panel. But I'm getting there and getting excited.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 http:///t/395555/moving-up#post_3521930
I started the move today,it has some really nice live rock,all medium to large pieces,very porous and lots of holes,I manage to move almost all the rock out and back to my home in a few tubs of salt water in the dark with heater and and pumps I'm going to leave it this way,the rock was under a cyano attack because the guy had some issues with worn out filters in his RO setup but a while in the dark should do wonders on that.It has some real nice metal Halide lights but I would like to eventually go all LED to save on electric,I'm going to build a mounting setup for all the LEDS I currently have plus a few more to take place of the metal halides,it has a nice stand and canopy too. I will document this move with pics.
Well... We're waiting... LOL.
Just playing around. But pics would be nice. For real.

srt8

. First pic,where the entertainment center is now is where the tank is going,then I'm getting a new TV to hang with a articulating arm above the fireplace and hopefully put the entertainment center in the other small living room. If not might have to sell it. Or wait till I finish the basement out and use it there. Will snap some pics of my skimmer and things and post too. I don't have the tank yet.

srt8

Also I'm debating drilling the tank for a closed loop,because I don't want to get it all set up and wish I had,Shawn,I messaged you about this.

E

eric b 125

Looking good bro! That's my favorite size aquarium and I'm still hellbent on getting one when I move but right now this location is more important to me than a larger fish tank. I'll be following along!

sweatervest13

SRT8... I wish I had a tank upstairs. I like your location choice. I put mine in the basement and lately I have only been going down there to feed and check everything out for like a half hour to an hour at a time. In the winter months I spend a lot more time down there checking out the tank. You can't avoid it on the main floor.
What cross roads are you by (or Subdivision)?? I am at 25 mile and Romeo Plank (Penzian Farms). If you need a hand setting things up once the tank comes in LMK. Although I will say, I don't have a ton of free time. Me and the wife are expecting our 3rd soon. She is about two weeks from delivering our first baby boy. But... Ask and I can see what I can do.
Closed Loops are great, but everything has its advantages and disadvantages. The problem with standard power heads is that you need a lot to have good flow in a 300g system. You would be looking at probably 4 x MP40's to get great flow for an SPS tank. Tunze makes some nice ones as well.
Are you looking to get the tank set up and then kinda add equipment to it?? Or are you doing the Acrylic51 route and plan out everything before you get it wet.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/395555/moving-up#post_3522204
SRT8... I wish I had a tank upstairs. I like your location choice. I put mine in the basement and lately I have only been going down there to feed and check everything out for like a half hour to an hour at a time. In the winter months I spend a lot more time down there checking out the tank. You can't avoid it on the main floor.
In the basement? Wow...I would be talking to my other half that's for sure. I have always kept my tanks right in my living room, and I have the second in my bedroom. A fish tank is for sitting down and watching...it's relaxing, and often a better show then what's on TV. Unless it's a finished basement, and it's in your man-cave or rec room, it shouldn't be hidden in a basement.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/395555/moving-up#post_3522210
In the basement? Wow...I would be talking to my other half that's for sure. I have always kept my tanks right in my living room, and I have the second in my bedroom. A fish tank is for sitting down and watching...it's relaxing, and often a better show then what's on TV. Unless it's a finished basement, and it's in your man-cave or rec room, it shouldn't be hidden in a basement.
Yup, its a finished basement with a living room setup. But still. It would be nice to have a main floor big tank. We have an 8 gallon IM Nuvo tank in the kitchen but the 125g upstairs would rock.
Oh well. Maybe later in life.

srt8

Wow you are close to me,I'm at 25 and Jewell at Lake Arrowhead,I was going to plan it all out but now since I found this tank buy I'm doing it as I go,although I have been working it in my head for a long time, that's how I do things mostly I get the plans in my head and go from there making adjustments along the way,what are dis advantages of a closed loop? And would I just be ok without it and doing more power heads? Wow,I am sure we will be in touch. Walking distance.