Mr. FIX IT...broke my pool

meowzer

LOL...well a hose on my pool sprung a leak....so when my husband cam home from work tonight he took the parts apart, and rigged it up with a hose we had here.....
WE HAVE NO POOL PLACE BY US

I went out to check it after it was running for an hour....hose popped loose

SOOOO I call him out there...he goes to close the shut off valve by the pump and broke the whole section
.....then he went to plug the outflow part in the pool....and that came apart

We have nothing to rig it with, so we plugged the holes so no more water would leak out :(
He works this weekend, and tells me he is gonna hard plumb it
I don't care....lol...as long as it works....he is off Monday, so I guess he will do it then
HEY...AT LEAST IT'S NOT MY FISH TANKS

nw2salt08

That happens. How old are the hoses on it? Hard plumbing is wonderful because they don't wear down from the sun and pool chemicals like flex hose does. Hopefully your husband can get it fixed asap so the pool doesn't become stagnant from having the pump off. Definitely put a heavy dose of algaecide all around the pool to help keep algae growth down.

mrdc

I noticed my polaris wasn't working yesterday. It must have been broke for awhile since a lot of crud was on the bottom of the pool. So I had to manually clean out the crud. I quickly decided that this wasn't going to work so I will be heading to the pool store today. I hate buying polaris stuff because everything they sell is so darn expensive.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3288289
I noticed my polaris wasn't working yesterday. It must have been broke for awhile since a lot of crud was on the bottom of the pool. So I had to manually clean out the crud. I quickly decided that this wasn't going to work so I will be heading to the pool store today. I hate buying polaris stuff because everything they sell is so darn expensive.
Tell me about it. I have a Polaris ATV Pool Cleaner, and it quit moving the other day. There's two belts that drive the wheels, and all the local pool companies want $38 for the set. It also has a problem with a couple of the internal EIGHT gears, and the 'command module' alone cost $225. However, this one tech says he can get a set of just the gears and fix it for around $50. If you're not in too much of a hurry to get it fixed, check The Bay for inidividual parts for your model. I found my belt set there for $26, and all the other parts are around 10% - 30% cheaper than any of my local pool stores.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Nw2Salt08
http:///forum/post/3288267
That happens. How old are the hoses on it? Hard plumbing is wonderful because they don't wear down from the sun and pool chemicals like flex hose does. Hopefully your husband can get it fixed asap so the pool doesn't become stagnant from having the pump off. Definitely put a heavy dose of algaecide all around the pool to help keep algae growth down.
IDK how old this one was....it seems like we replace something every year though
I don't think it was that old....but with the weather we have here in OK....things take a beating...
I put some shock stuff in there right before this happened....so hopefully it will be okay....with 100 degree days though.....who knows

bionicarm

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3288336
IDK how old this one was....it seems like we replace something every year though
I don't think it was that old....but with the weather we have here in OK....things take a beating...
I put some shock stuff in there right before this happened....so hopefully it will be okay....with 100 degree days though.....who knows
Welcome to the world of pool ownweship.
I have an inground, and it was installed before I bought my house. The idiots who put it in backfilled my yard then dropped it on top of it so that it would be level with the porch. Unfortunately, whenever we have dry spells (which is about 3 - 6 months every year here in Texas), the ground starts shifting underneath it. I've had to dig underneath my pool deck at least 5 times to replace the PVC elbows that get cracked everytime the pool moves. Then of course there was the replacement of the pump/filter system at $800. What I can't believe is the cost of chlorine these days. Just a couple years ago, I could buy a 40 lb. pail of 3" tablets for around $70. Nowadays, the same bucket is $95 - $110, depending on where you get them. Is there some shortage of chlorine chemical that I was unaware of?

meowzer

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3288356
What I can't believe is the cost of chlorine these days. Just a couple years ago, I could buy a 40 lb. pail of 3" tablets for around $70. Nowadays, the same bucket is $95 - $110, depending on where you get them. Is there some shortage of chlorine chemical that I was unaware of?
I wish I knew....and we both know that with the heat in TX and OK..you have to use more chlorine
I looked into getting a new built in pool last year....decided that for the amount of time I actually swim in the pool (vs laying on a raft) LOL....it wasn't worth the money
Maybe in a few more years
....I just couldn't justify the expense....funny thing is my husband NEVER goes in the pool, and he was trying to talk me into it....you should have seen the look on his face when I said...nahhh we don't need it...paperwork was in hands and everything...

darthtang aw

I find it amusing that people with a pool will complain at the cost of some things for that pool.
Darth (breaking open a fire hydrant) Tang

meowzer

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/3288419
I find it amusing that people with a pool will complain at the cost of some things for that pool.
we drive cars and use gas to drive them....YET we all complain at gas prices don't we LOL

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3288422
we drive cars and use gas to drive them....YET we all complain at gas prices don't we LOL
80% of people have cars...50% of those have 2....less than 10% of people have pools.....and less than 1% have 2 pools.
Darth (catching on yet?) Tang

mrdc

I have a pool and complain about the cost because some of the costs just seem too damn ridiculous. I have to buy this rubber o-ring every year for my chlorine bucket that costs $22 in the store here. That thing must cost pennies to make. I know the reason they can charge so much is because the makers of the equipment are th only ones that make the replacement parts. You can't buy any knockoffs at wally world. I can understand why since like you say, only 10% of us are pool owners and they want to stay in business. I complain but suck it up since I enjoy the pool. Though lately it feels like warm bath water due to the heat. I only got the pool for the kids.

meowzer

Yeah...we have this "shut off" thing (I think it's called a gate valve) that stops the water from the filter to the filter basket skiller...to the filter basket from the pool

that's the major part he broke....LOL...BUT he said he is gonna buy a regular ball valve this time cause it will do the same thing for A LOT LESS.....
sometimes you can sub parts.....SOMETIMES

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/3288419
Trust me, I've considered turning mine into a nice Koi Pond for quite some time. I had reservations about having a pool from the get-go. But we liked the house, and the pool just came along for the ride. The kids have always enjoyed it, but even they only use it on rare occassions now. It does come in pretty handy though after coming back from a mountain bike run, or after finishing yard work. Just picture the old 'Nestea Plunge' commercials, and you'll know what I mean.

nw2salt08

Yeah. Between the heat, chlorine (assuming you use it) and the sun.... things break down pretty quick. It's good timing that you shocked just before your pool broke down. That will help keep it at bay longer than if you hadn't just shocked it.
When you get it back up and running, shock it really good and double your dosage of algaecide. If you notice any algae then shock it heavily. That way it nips it in the bud before it has time to take over. It should be fine. If you need any help with chemical questions or anything pool related just ask. I worked in a pool shop for 7 years.

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3288356
Welcome to the world of pool ownweship.
I have an inground, and it was installed before I bought my house. The idiots who put it in backfilled my yard then dropped it on top of it so that it would be level with the porch. Unfortunately, whenever we have dry spells (which is about 3 - 6 months every year here in Texas), the ground starts shifting underneath it. I've had to dig underneath my pool deck at least 5 times to replace the PVC elbows that get cracked everytime the pool moves. Then of course there was the replacement of the pump/filter system at $800. What I can't believe is the cost of chlorine these days. Just a couple years ago, I could buy a 40 lb. pail of 3" tablets for around $70. Nowadays, the same bucket is $95 - $110, depending on where you get them. Is there some shortage of chlorine chemical that I was unaware of?
Not a shortage that I'm aware of. Shipping costs from the manufacturers are going up so the pool shops are having to pay more to get the product to the shelf for the customer's use. This has been an ongoing issue for the last 8 years. It makes it very hard for the pool companies to keep the product moving out the door.

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3288474
I have a pool and complain about the cost because some of the costs just seem too damn ridiculous. I have to buy this rubber o-ring every year for my chlorine bucket that costs $22 in the store here. That thing must cost pennies to make. I know the reason they can charge so much is because the makers of the equipment are th only ones that make the replacement parts. You can't buy any knockoffs at wally world. I can understand why since like you say, only 10% of us are pool owners and they want to stay in business. I complain but suck it up since I enjoy the pool. Though lately it feels like warm bath water due to the heat. I only got the pool for the kids.
Are you talking about the area on the pump where the leaf basket is? If you're dropping your chlorine in there then you're going to replace parts on your pool all the time. Chlorine tablets sitting straight in the leaf basket will eat the o-ring, the strainer basket, cause the hoses to break down faster and is less effective for your pool. Get a floater to put them in. They're 8.00 and will save you money/grief in the long run.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Nw2Salt08
http:///forum/post/3288963
Not a shortage that I'm aware of. Shipping costs from the manufacturers are going up so the pool shops are having to pay more to get the product to the shelf for the customer's use. This has been an ongoing issue for the last 8 years. It makes it very hard for the pool companies to keep the product moving out the door.
I don't think it's completely the increased shipping costs. Costco has a decent brand of chlorine I used to buy, and just a couple years ago, it was right at $70. Now it's priced the same as all the other places that sell chlorine. I don't see the markup on other large items that Costco sells that are as high as what they have on the chlorine.