My 10gallon

pirates

Originally Posted by Nfsplayer
http:///forum/post/3293435
the biggest problem i have right now is my calcium level is at 260-280, all other levels are good. what's the fastest and safest way to raise my calcium?
Kent Marine Turbo-Calcium but be careful it will raise fast its good stuff i have used it my self

sugar lemons

wow i didnt know you could have such a small tank in saltwater
are local pet shop said we had to have 55gal or up and that 55 gal was really to small he told me to go with 75 gal and up

poppy

IT SOUNDS TO ME THAT THE SELL PERSON AT THE PET STORE GETS COMMISSION
OR THEY JUST DIDNT KNOW
BUT AM THINKING HE OR SHE TALKED YOU INTO BUYING BIG YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THE NANO TANKS

pirates

Originally Posted by sugar lemons
http:///forum/post/3294113
wow i didnt know you could have such a small tank in saltwater
are local pet shop said we had to have 55gal or up and that 55 gal was really to small he told me to go with 75 gal and up

well the bigger the tank the easier it is to take care of so that is probably what they meant

poppy

WOW THATS BIG
LOL I DONT EVEN WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY THAT WAS BUT I SAY YOU MADE THAT SELL PERSON DAY LOL

wilioli

and is using tap water really out of the question?? I know water softeners are not like ro/di units.. but... there are quite a lot of people going off of tap water.. right? thanks in advance

gill again68

I have a powerhead in my 8 gal. Its the K 1 nano. As far as using tap water most dont. Unless your water test very well your better off with RODI. I personally dont see how people buy the stuff week after week. I spent the money up front on a RODI unit. Very happy I did that. Now I need some water I just go in my under ware and get it.

wilioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill again68 http:///forum/thread/378900/my-10gallon/40#post_3319842
I have a powerhead in my 8 gal. Its the K 1 nano. As far as using tap water most dont. Unless your water test very well your better off with RODI. I personally dont see how people buy the stuff week after week. I spent the money up front on a RODI unit. Very happy I did that. Now I need some water I just go in my under ware and get it.

thanks for the prompt response -- so what about just a filter acting as the method of circulating water? is that not sufficient? and how do u measure what is sufficient for water circulation? there are so many powerheads with different gph's -- i ask because i have the 10 gallon, but am getting a 40 as well.
And what defines water testing very well -- id like to make sure im under that category before i ignore the rodi..
thanks again

gill again68

Well you will read different view points on circulation and it really matters more if you plan say an SPS tank versus a LPS and soft coral tank. Some people turn their tanks over 20 to 30 times the gals that are in it. I am sure you will get some more responses to this so being fairly new I will let the pros answer better. Testing, you need to test for TDS or total dissolved solids. You want 0. Thats what a RODI will give you. Thats just to get ready to add your salt and mix that for 24 hours. I take it this is your first Salt aquarium? If so a good book to start with is "The Consceientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner
Hope that answers your question or points you in a good direction.

wilioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill again68 http:///forum/thread/378900/my-10gallon/40#post_3319892
Well you will read different view points on circulation and it really matters more if you plan say an SPS tank versus a LPS and soft coral tank. Some people turn their tanks over 20 to 30 times the gals that are in it. I am sure you will get some more responses to this so being fairly new I will let the pros answer better. Testing, you need to test for TDS or total dissolved solids. You want 0. Thats what a RODI will give you. Thats just to get ready to add your salt and mix that for 24 hours. I take it this is your first Salt aquarium? If so a good book to start with is "The Consceientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner
Hope that answers your question or points you in a good direction.
yes it is my first aquarium.. 10 gallon -- 12 pounds of cured live rock in there, and 4 hermit crabs... just completed its 2nd week.. lol -- im still keeping an open mind as to sps or lps -- and what im putting in this 10 gallon.. as i said, im waiting on getting a 40 gallon, so this is kinda 'practice' for now... ill check out that book.. thanks.. and if anyone else can comment on flow, currents, powerheads, please do so -- might as well get all the opinions on it now.. thanks again

gill again68

For a first aquarium you may find that 10 gal to be a challenge. Most start with a 55 but preferred 75. Not saying it cant be done, heck a lot of people are doing much smaller. Just saying that in this hobby the slogan goes, "dilution is the solution to pollution". Make sure you get up to speed on all your testing equipment and regular water changes. Would like to see some pics. Did you say its 2 weeks old? Is that after the cycle or total time its been up?

wilioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill again68 http:///forum/thread/378900/my-10gallon/40#post_3319943
For a first aquarium you may find that 10 gal to be a challenge. Most start with a 55 but preferred 75. Not saying it cant be done, heck a lot of people are doing much smaller. Just saying that in this hobby the slogan goes, "dilution is the solution to pollution". Make sure you get up to speed on all your testing equipment and regular water changes. Would like to see some pics. Did you say its 2 weeks old? Is that after the cycle or total time its been up?
yea, people are tellin me to do a water change now, seein ammonia and nitrites are at zero.. the test kit i bought does not have nitrates.. weird... 2 weeks cycling and total time its been up... lol.. here's a pic:

gill again68

Nice tank. You may want to hold off on the water change or adding anything else yet. It took my tank around 6 to 8 weeks to cycle. I dont know how long to expect a nano tank to cycle. I set mine up with LR and Water from my current 90 so that made a big difference for me. Keep testing and watching. Did you get any diatom bloom??

wilioli

thank you. I'm still a roookie --> the tank isnt' at eye level, so i didnt quite realize that it wasn't filled up to the top.. so thats fixed, and it looks a lot better.. lol..
I got a nitrate testing kit.. I actually did a water change :S hope that didnt mess things up.. but the nitrates are at 10ppm...? im thinkin maybe thats bad cause it should be lower after a water change right? day after i mean... The left side of the aquarium has 'brown spots' growin on it.. so i switched off the lights now, hopin that will reduce that (is that diatom?) the front face of the aquarium has these cotton/thread/fiber like projections growing.. the bigger ones has a slight brown tinge to it.. the smaller ones look white.. tried lookin it up.. some say it might be aptasia (sp?) others say part of the diatom bloom? i dunno..
My live rock is from the LFS, and has been cured with them there for several months (according to them)...

flower

Nitrates are the end of the cycle...you want 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites then a reading on nitrates, then do a water change. I always waited a month after the cycle before I added fish. Some folks add a CUC (clean up crew) at this time to eat the algae.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates http:///forum/thread/378900/my-10gallon/40#post_3294149
well the bigger the tank the easier it is to take care of so that is probably what they meant

That's exactly what they meant, in my day only the really good keepers tried for the small tanks. Things can go bad really fast in the smaller tanks and to date I personally think bigger is better for saltwater tanks..