My 180 Slow Progress Report

teresaq

Nice work. You are like me. My tank is mine and Hubby dosent have much to do with it.
I wish I had a basement, I love what you did down there. It would be nice to have an open space behind the tank to work on equipment
T

mkroher

Originally Posted by casper1875
http:///forum/post/3171473
I have about 90 lbs of of base rock in there right now. I thought I'd add about half of my live rock to the new system and wait for the cycle. Don't I have to wait?
It would be wonderful if I could just transfer everything over without the wait.

i would put the base rock in, then add your sand (dry sand?). after the sand settles and you're ready.. transfer everything. you shouldn't have a cycle... you're transfering a cycled system from one tank to another.
if you remove half of your live rock from an established tank, you've just set that system off balance, and now that tank will probably going through a cycle.

casper1875

Yes, it's dry sand. I have a golden head sleeper goby that I'm worried about. If the sand isn't live, how will he survive? He's about 6 inches long and sifts the sand all day long.

rlablan

I dealt with that too. Like I said, I did my water thing, took all the fish out of the 1st tank, and put them in a temp bucket, and then scooped the sand out of the tank, and added it to the 2nd tank. Then I filled it up with the water. and added the fish after a few water tests. I had no mini cycle and my sand sifters were just fine.

mkroher

Originally Posted by casper1875
http:///forum/post/3171806
Yes, it's dry sand. I have a golden head sleeper goby that I'm worried about. If the sand isn't live, how will he survive? He's about 6 inches long and sifts the sand all day long.
i think the goby will be fine.
i have a shrimp goby that pretty much eats anything, and competes for food as soon as it enters the water.

casper1875

We moved everything last night. My fish look so lost. I'll need to work on the rocks later, the aquascape doesn't look so nice.
I have to clean up the 75 and sale the protien skimmer, lights and tank. I'll feel better after I see all the fish eat. I'll try to post some pictures tonight.