My 24gal Aquapod diary

spunky

So after weeks of research and trying to decide what kind of tank i wanted, by chance i came across the aquapod at the LFS and decided to get one on the advice of the employees that were working that night, also they had one setup and it looked awesome. Ofcource they didnt have any in stock at the time but they said they could order it and it would be there in a few days. So i order it and the stand and was told it would be there wednesday 3/5. now keep in mind that i live 30 min from the LFS and i didnt want to waste a trip so i called when i got out of work and the guy that sold it to me said "glad you called the stand didnt come in i have to order it from the destributer" i was like glad i didnt waste my time driving there. so needless to say he said that it would be there friday 3/7. so again on friday i start calling them around 4pm and none ever answers their phone, thhis went on for 3hrs so i finally said WTH ill just go there. I get there and they tell me that the stand was unavailable at the moment to check back with them next thursday. By this time i was about to give up on the whole idea and get my money back but i made some phone calls in the store to another FS and they said that they had the stand so i got store credit for the stand and went to the other store which took me an hour to get there what a night to get this setup. well now that i am done rantting here are some pics of the new setup. Any advice will be very helpfull i am a noob to SW.

spunky

just a little more info I have 20lbs LS and 25lbs LR. not really sure what to do next they said to add the LS,water,and LR and just let it be but i guess i need to know how long i should leave the lights on for ??

spanko

Welcome to the addiction. Looks like you might have a hard time cleaning the side glass with the rock so close. Other than that looking good!

ecooper

Let it be while it cycles. The amount of time will vary. Do a search on this forum, but I think most people would recommend a month total. Just go slowly. I looks really nice so far.

spunky

ok so i turned off all the lights besides the 2 leds and ill just let it sit how long do you guys think i sould wait before i do my first water test ? also noticed this mornign that there is a clam type creature in one of the peices of live rock have no clue what it is it looks like a small rock with a slit in the middle tapped on the tank and it shut so i know it is alive anyone have any idea? i will try to get a pic of it but my iphone doesnt do well with closeups

spunky

ok so i rearranged my LR so now i cann get to all the glass with the mag-float. Here are a couple pics.

spunky

ok i took a pic of that clam type of creature that i mentioned in my beginning posts. Anyone know what this is ?

spunky

Originally Posted by vmartino
http:///forum/post/2509821
hard to tell with that pic, if you can get a good focused closeup maybe we could try to id it
i'll try to get a better pic but the only camera that i have now is my iphone and it does not do well with closeups.

spunky

how long do you guys think i should wait to put the clean up cew in the tank and what kind and how many should i get ?

johnny&sin

Originally Posted by spunky
http:///forum/post/2511257
how long do you guys think i should wait to put the clean up cew in the tank and what kind and how many should i get ?
Looking great! I started my tank with LS and LR and already cycled water from my big tank... about 3 weeks later I added my cleanup crew and I guess there wasnt enough algae for them so I lost a couple of porcelin crabs... I would recommend waiting 3-4 weeks for a whole clean up crew... but i do have 3 emerald crabs who made it since week 1 !!!

johnny&sin

http:///forum/post/2511510
what about my clowns still a month on those also ?
Our 110 we put damsels and clowns in 2 weeks they were fine and still are... my 12 gallon I lost my 2 clowns and 2 baby dominos... If you want to try I say start with a cheap damsel or green chromis... If they are fine put in a clown... clowns are part of the damsel family so they should be ok...

spunky

ok so when i bought all my equip the LFS sold me these chemicals when should i start adding them and how much i dont remember i think they said a 1/2 cap per day for the life of the tank.

johnny&sin

http:///forum/post/2511626
ok so when i bought all my equip the LFS sold me these chemicals when should i start adding them and how much i dont remember i think they said a 1/2 cap per day for the life of the tank.
Ok when it comes to adding chemicals my bf knows more than I do ... I know I do add that to mine and I put a 1ml seringe of each in my 12 gallon... in the 110 we put about 1/2 capful of the gallon size cap... it should say on the back how much per gallon of the tank... just becareful with adding too much chemical... and be sure to test ur water atleast once a week to make sure ur going through the spikes that way u know when u've cycled!

johnny&sin

http:///forum/post/2511626
use this test sheet for guidance... it helped us alot... the bottom shows what should spike during cycle ...