My 29g Nano Reef build!

markw

I'm Back!
Alright guys, Some know me from a different build thread. Thats a long story.
Anywho, I am picking up a 29g tank, hood, light, filter (marineland penguin 200), stand, gravel, heater, pump, and all decorations tomorrow for $20.
I want to start this as my first official saltwater tank, now that the ball is rolling again. As for equipment, this is what I was thinking:
So, this is what I have so far:
29g aquarium w/stand
Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel 200 filter
Heater
This is the light I wanted to use since I already have one: http://www.***********.com/Coralife_...FIPCTF-vi.html (2x96W PC, 4 lunar) but I dont know if its possibly too much
I was thinking 40lbs of Marco Rocks
40lbs of aragonite sand, maybe more.
Reef Crystals
Koralia 1
Koralia 2
Well, theres my start post. Im not sure about a stock list yet. I have to run. Ill update later.
Mark

meowzer

HEY MARK...Glad to see you back.....
If you are planning reef, you may want to re-think that light....it will not support much....why not look into some T5HO's??
ALso I would get at least 1 Koralia 1, and 1 Koralia 2.....Are you planning on a skimmer???

markw

Nice to see you Meowzer! Its good to be back!
I planned on starting out with this light because I had it on hand. Maybe some softies and such. I have a few things planned around here for a larger tank to replace my 150g. If one of them come through, I wont waste the money on t5HOs on the 29g. If not, Ill buy better lights and start getting harder corals. I havent chosen a skimmer yet, but Im thinking abotu a HOB one so I dont have to deal with the sump and all just yet since I dont know how permanent this tank is. Thanks for the suggestion on the powerheads. I will adjust my list.
Thanks!
Mark

markw

Alright. Im going to pick up the tank in about two hours. I just ordered 40 lbs of Marco Rock, 40 lbs of aragonite sand (I like the idea of starting 'fresh'). I think its about time to start contemplating a stocklist. Below is a list of the fish I was considering. By no means was I thinking about getting all of them, but a combination of some of them. If you could help me out thinking about a stock combination, that would be amazing. Feel free to suggest some more of your own too. I know Im lacking fish in the middle/upper water column..
Randalli or Yellow Shrimp Goby with Pistol Shrimp
Bicolor Blenny or Midas Blenny
Green Clown Goby
Firefish Goby
Yellowhead Jawfish
Lawnmower Blenny (Dont know about this with the Midas, but I know not with the Bicolor)
Sixline Wrasse
Banggai Cardinal (since PJs get bigger)
Ocellaris Clown - This is the only one that has to remain in the list
If you could suggest some combinations here, that would be amazing.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

markw

I would also like to know what depth sand bed you would reccommend. I have always wanted to do DSBs for Nitrate reduction, but in such a small volume, would that be too great of a risk for a crash?
Thanks,
Mark

meowzer

In my 225G I have a 4" SB.....In the 54G and the 29G....almost 2" SB
IMO...for the smaller tank...I'd go with 2" at the most....(JMO) :)

markw

I value your opinion greatly. :)
Thats perfectly fine with me. Saves me money on sand. haha. Thanks a ton.
Updates coming soon! Ordering rock and sand today, and the tank isnt even here yet haha
Mark

rlablan

I'm very interested to see your progress with this new little tank. Best of luck and I will try my best to give you pointers, though nanos are not my forte.