My 40gal Fragg Tank

nwdyr

Finally!!!!! My Fragg tank project is under way
My son and I painted the home made stand today. We chose to make our own stand so we could afford to go with the 40gal breeder instead of a 20gal long. In the long run I feel the 40 breeder will better serve my long term goal's at growing coral's that I will put up for sale on e-bay. I hope everyone enjoy's our little project/business adventure, as much as I know we will. My hope is to educate my son in business, life in general, and help him understand coral reef's thier natural beauty and the importance of saveing nature by propagating our own coral's to raise and share with others. My son (Vincenzo..you can call him Vinny
) ) shaved his head to help raise money for kids with cancer. He is a great kid and I am VERY proud of him!!! ok, ok I know.. on with the tank! Here is my eq. list. Please feel free to give us any suggestion's along the way, I have great respect for this site and all of you'r experiace's and input.
1) 40 gal breeder tank 36x18x16 All Glass
2) AquaClear 70 HOB filter 300gph rated for a 70 gallon tank : I chose this filter for 2 reason's, first because it has a nice thick foam block and ceramic bio-rings to help with biological filtration. I also plan on adding about 20lb's of LR and LS for more help. The second reason is obvious and that is the price vs a wet/dry, I really feel with LR and LS this filter will do a good job.
3) 250w Metal Halide hanging light with a 14k bulb
4) Visa Therm 150w Stealth Heater
5) Koralia pump #2 for water cirulation/ I have one in my 24gal nano and love it!
6) Versa Glass Top
7) Egg crate shelves for fragg's
I think that's it for now, I am sure I will be adding a skimmer some time soon, any suggestion's??. Enjoy the pic's and I will keep you posted as I move ahead, I am hoping to get my light and supplies within the next week. Wish me luck!!! and like I said we are looking forward to you'r thought's and suggestion's I just ask that you not be mean or harsh because like I stated above this is my AND my 11yr old son's project so he will be reading this as well and do not want him to be discourged by angery, harsh words. Thank you again!!

halostalker

so far so good=P great job guyz. time to fill it up with tap water to check for leaks and see if it don't fall apart(knock on wood)

blazin2k6

Cinderblocks ? LOL. I thought when you said you were gonna BUILD a STAND. you meant like some oak lumber and plywood and actually build a stand out of wood. LOL. Even went thru the trouble to paint the bricks ? LOL. Wild but ok. And tomorrow is spelled like this not Tomarrow. Anyways goodluck on this project and nah i think 40 gal isnt considered a nano but what the heck. It doesnt really matter its a frag tank. So i hope you can do well with it and grow lots of corals that way we dont all have to deplete our beautiful oceans of corals. i AM Sure everything will go well for ya. Hope everyone has a nice weekend. AND GO DAVIDSON BEAT Wisconsin.

nwdyr

Well Blazin, you are becoming quite the english major!! I recall not long ago that you said and typed things like " ya all'' . You have come a long way!! now you are the grammer police. Not only do you find the time to correct grammer , but also to critisize ( I know i spelled that wrong , so save it) someones attempt at saving some money. Sorry we don't have the income you do , and to think you don't even work. And thank you for all the suggestion's and for sharing all you'r knowledge on this subject, by the way the subject was " fragg Tanks"

fishermon

I think the setup is cool. I mean it's a frag tank! Who cares what the stand looks like! I think it's a creative idea & way 2 go to save some $

I'd love to have a frag tank!
Good luck & keep the pics coming!

anthonyhnj

Great job so far, a 40g frag tank, that's a great project for a father and son to work on together. Keep posting your progress.
Anthony

nwdyr

Originally Posted by FISHERMON
http:///forum/post/2538973
I think the setup is cool. I mean it's a frag tank! Who cares what the stand looks like! I think it's a creative idea & way 2 go to save some $

I'd love to have a frag tank!
Good luck & keep the pics coming!

Thank you very much!!

nwdyr

Originally Posted by anthonyhnj
http:///forum/post/2538975
Great job so far, a 40g frag tank, that's a great project for a father and son to work on together. Keep posting your progress.
Anthony
thank you, I will post more pic's as soon as I get my light and filter.

atrialfib22

Hey nice project! congrats on spending some constructive quality time with your son. Sounds like he is becoming a great young man. Kids definitely get in a lot of trouble when they lack the type of parenting that emphasizes a good structure and time to set values at a good standard! (I know I got in a lot of trouble as a kid...) Kudos to you!
About the tank...I am looking forward to seeing a lot of frags on ----...i am runninng the AquaC Remora skimmer on my nano (20g L) and I really like it. I am not sure how it would perform on a 40g, but my thought is that it would do pretty good. Keep us posted!

nwdyr

Originally Posted by AtrialFib22
http:///forum/post/2539116
Hey nice project! congrats on spending some constructive quality time with your son. Sounds like he is becoming a great young man. Kids definitely get in a lot of trouble when they lack the type of parenting that emphasizes a good structure and time to set values at a good standard! (I know I got in a lot of trouble as a kid...) Kudos to you!
About the tank...I am looking forward to seeing a lot of frags on ----...i am runninng the AquaC Remora skimmer on my nano (20g L) and I really like it. I am not sure how it would perform on a 40g, but my thought is that it would do pretty good. Keep us posted!

Thank you for the good words! Also thank you very much for the suggestion on the skimmer I will look into that! My light is comming in 4/2 and the reast of the eq. schould be in around the same time.

subielover

Looks like it is going to be a lot of fun. I like your resourcefulness (not sure if that is a word
) in designing your stand. Whatever works. Now get those frags growing so I can buy some from you

nwdyr

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2539519
Looks like it is going to be a lot of fun. I like your resourcefulness (not sure if that is a word
) in designing your stand. Whatever works. Now get those frags growing so I can buy some from you

Thank you! I can't wait for my stuff to get here so I can set this up! I am trying to get it going b4 4/22, thats my surgery date. I have to teach someone to take care of both tank's for 4 day's while I am in the hospital
then when I get home I will have plenty of time to start fraggin. I already have some leather, shroom and yellow polyp fragg's going in my 24gal nano. Thank's for the support and don't worry if you invent or mis-spell a word here I won't correct you. But watch out for Blazin...he is such a master of the english language he may be offended

iyachtuxivm

Dude that stand is an awsome idea! Kudos. Are you just going to frag stuff in your nano or get new stuff. I was thinking of doing something like this also. I will have to see if the wife will approve or not. Unlike you I dont have a cyber wife she can hit me from here
. Good luck Ill be watching

nwdyr

Originally Posted by iyachtuxivm
http:///forum/post/2539760
Dude that stand is an awsome idea! Kudos. Are you just going to frag stuff in your nano or get new stuff. I was thinking of doing something like this also. I will have to see if the wife will approve or not. Unlike you I dont have a cyber wife she can hit me from here
. Good luck Ill be watching

Thank's bro!!! Yes I am going to do both, like I said I already have some fragged and I would like to fragg both of my zoo's. I just checked my tracking e-mail and it says my light will be here an wend, and all the other stuff will be here on tuesday

subielover

Hey nwydr, any chance you are going to put any acans in it? I have not looked into them all that much really, but I did look at a few pictures on this site, and all I can say is
Good luck with it man

nwdyr

The light I ordered is a 250w Metal Halide so I think i will be doing hard and softies. I will be trying all kinds of stuff so acans might be on my list!

The idea for the stand is awesome! I would have never come up with the idea to do that. You got to spend time with your son, and I'm sure you both had lots of fun in the process!
GL and keep us posted!

nwdyr

Originally Posted by amyandbrandon2
http:///forum/post/2540526
The idea for the stand is awesome! I would have never come up with the idea to do that. You got to spend time with your son, and I'm sure you both had lots of fun in the process!
GL and keep us posted!

Thank's for the support!!! as soon as I get my filter and light I will post more pic's!!

iyachtuxivm

not to hijack the thread, but acans seem really easy to care for and look cool. Mine is doing great and has even already started to grow. It started with 4.5 polyps now has 6

K

kat74

awwwww..... my step-son is such an angel!~

The stand you made is genius! How creative is that???
I bet it's very sturdy!
Looks great!

How are you going to have the frags set up? Are you gonna have LR in there and just attach frags in there? Or, are you gonna set up some different "layers" of that white crate looking stuff to put the frags on? Gah! Am I making any sense in what I'm asking?