my 55g & I are newbies

tarball

Originally Posted by me-n-my-fish
Before building your sump/fuge, do some research on siphon breaks, ect. In my 30 Gal sump, i have a line that says "Full" about 1/2 way up. I only fill it to there!!!! Then if/when the power goes out, or i have to unplug, the siphon caused by your pipes will not over flow your sump. I dont have any pics here, but i will take some tonight for ya and post them up.
Thanks for the help me-n-my fish, I found the diy, LOL.
Not sure how i over looked it in the lighting & Equipment & diy. Now I can figure it out.. Also If you have any photos, that
would be great. I'm looking for good ideas. Especially when it comes to overflow..

tarball

Originally Posted by me-n-my-fish
hey, at least you knew what it was!

I looked it up.
I'm not as smart as I look!

tarball

Question: When I buy the skimmer for the sump, should i figured the amount of water in the tank & sump?. Or just the sump. My tank is 55g and the sump will be 20g. 55+20=75g. I'm think I need to double the 75gs, so I need a skimmer that handles 150 gph. Opinions please...

Question: What would be the appropriate flow rate from my sump pump back to my 55 gallon tank? Also what is the rule of thumb on the flow rate from the sump to main tank & back from main tank to sump? Common sense tells me that the flow rate is crucial to the good health of the aquarium...

What Ya Think?

tarball

Opinions Please: I'm considering the Euro Reef RS100 protein skimmer. Is this skimmer over kill for a 55g tank & 20g sump?
If you have this skimmer please let me know how you feel about it. I'm concerned about the noise level of the skimmer, its also at the top end of cost I'm willing to spend on a skimmer.
Maybe you can offer some opinions on other skimmers equal to the Euro Reef RS100.
Thanks...

jennythebugg

sorry so late on the welcome ...welcome
!!! I'm new too so I'll lurk around and listen to all the good advice youre getting

tarball

Hello Jenny
Feel free to hang around & check out this thread. Also feel free to post any questions you have or comments. I like new friends

I see you're a Texas Girl, very COOL

tarball

I have a question please?

How many times should my 55g be turned over through my 20g
sump per hr. I'm trying to figure out what pump flow I should have from the sump to the DT. I hear no less then 2 times & no more then 5 times per hr.
I'm looking for a solid answer:

mcbdz

Originally Posted by Tarball
I have a question please?

How many times should my 55g be turned over through my 20g
sump per hr. I'm trying to figure out what pump flow I should have from the sump to the DT. I hear no less then 2 times & no more then 5 times per hr.
I'm looking for a solid answer:

I'm kind of new also, but I'll try to help. You want about 10-15x GPH for flow and if you are wanting corals later go with 25x. Saltwater needs lots of flow compared to freshwater. Some people say you can't have too much flow as long as you don't have a sand storm or funnel.
Hpe this is what you were asking. I'm still trying to figure out filtration. I'm upgrading the first of the year and want to do it right this next time.

tarball

Originally Posted by mcbdz
You want about 10-15x GPH for flow and if you are wanting corals later go with 25x.
Thanks for the help, I'm defiantly going to be adding corals.
25x X 55= 1375g sure seems like a lot of flow going through
a 20g sump.
Should I also add the 20g
In other words 20g+55g=75g.... 75g X 25x=1875g per hr.
Once again seems like a lot of flow for a 20g sump to take.
can I get a couple more opinions please, I'm completely ignorent when it comes to this question. 2x, 5x, 15x, 25x,
What am I to think...

Thank you for your comment mcbdz...

gatorwpb

I didnt read all the posts, but I can help some.
First, the turnover rate when you hear about 25x, does not include only the flow through the fuge.
I have around 550gph or so going through my fuge. The rest of the turnover is from powerheads in the tank itself, so the extra flow doesnt go through the fuge, just circulates in the display tank only.
Also, as to the fuge design you posted, I would recommend triple baffles between the skimmer section and the fuge section, and again triple baffles before the return pump. This will stop any micro bubbles from getting sent from the fuge to the display. Research a few more fuge designs and youll see what i mean. I have double baffles and wish I had a third for each section.

tarball

Thanks for the info GatorWPB
I've decided to turn my tank over 7x hr through the sump
7x55g =385 gph
Ive also decided to add a Marine-land c360 Canister Filter, It
moves 360 ghp .... 6.5g x 55g = 360gph Turnover rate from both 13.5. This should be plenty of flow. I can adjust for extra flow with 2 power heads.
I've also decided on the ASM G-2 Skimmer. This will change
my original thinking on my sump design.
Gator I think you are correct about the 3 baffles before & after the fuge. I will adjust the sump design..

Thanks for the help people.. Great info

tarball

ok
I finally added 50 pounds of Live Fiji Rock to my 55g tank. I set up my aqua scape a few hrs ago & stirred things up a bit, so I will add pictures tomorrow.

Also, I did a water test & this is how it read.
Salt: 1.025
Alkalinity: 180
ph: 8.4
Nitrite: 10
Nitrate 40
Ammonia 0
I know the Nits are up, but I'm going to leave it this way so the LR will have something to do for the next week.