My 72 NOOB Tank :)

Thanks to many of you here, I am off an running on my new hobby.
Just want to say thanks to everyone so far for all the advice and answers to my stupid questions. Thought I would post a pic, nothing special, just live rock but hey...I'm excited. Put my live rock in last night, it had a 3 day transit via UPS so it lost a lot of color and goodies but I was very happy to find only two pieces of rubble and good size pieces. Didnt smell bad or anything, so I think I'm ok. Hope I can get it to purple back up. My two Koralia 3's showed up today, but still waiting on Sundial T5 setup, Octopus BH-300 skimmer, and Heater. Anyway, if this live rock setup looks like crap please let me know what I could do better with it please. New at this, so all criticism very welcome.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by solarbearusa
http:///forum/post/2715914
Thanks to many of you here, I am off an running on my new hobby.
Just want to say thanks to everyone so far for all the advice and answers to my stupid questions. Thought I would post a pic, nothing special, just live rock but hey...I'm excited. Put my live rock in last night, it had a 3 day transit via UPS so it lost a lot of color and goodies but I was very happy to find only two pieces of rubble and good size pieces. Didnt smell bad or anything, so I think I'm ok. Hope I can get it to purple back up. My two Koralia 3's showed up today, but still waiting on Sundial T5 setup, Octopus BH-300 skimmer, and Heater. Anyway, if this live rock setup looks like crap please let me know what I could do better with it please. New at this, so all criticism very welcome.

looks great and ANY type of pictures are always welcome!. Lol.
How much rock is that?

nycbob

nice start! dont worry about the rock layout. it will probably change like
30-50x after 2 months.

aquaguy24

my rocks are piled up just like yours...i've always been thinking about making two piles, one of each side but im to lazy....anyways great start...

rune

I think it looks great. You could try moving it around if you arent 100% happy with it but in the end it's really whatever you feel looks best.
Welcome to the hobby

Now the waiting begins, 4-6 weeks right? My kids cant wait to actually see something swimming in there!
Anyone have recommedations on how often I should be testing water levels. I did one yesterday just to get familiar with the kit. Didnt expect any numbers but here is where everything is at.
PH 8.2
Ammonia .25
Trites 0
Trates 0
Temp. 78
Do I need to be testing everything during the cycle or just watching a certain thing (I am a saltwater moron so far
)

kaingers

I would test in a couple weeks. Why waste your time when you know its going to take multiple weeks to cycle. What kind of lighting do you have? Great start!

noah's nemo

Looks like your getting off on the right foot
Is that an Emperor 400?If so they are great,i have 2 on my 75 gal.

Originally Posted by kaingers
http:///forum/post/2716296
I would test in a couple weeks. Why waste your time when you know its going to take multiple weeks to cycle. What kind of lighting do you have? Great start!
Still waiting on my lights....Should be here Monday. Sundial T5 4 x 54w.

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
http:///forum/post/2716305
Looks like your getting off on the right foot
Is that an Emperor 400?If so they are great,i have 2 on my 75 gal.
Yep, emporer 400. I cant run a sump because no room, so going to try and run the following setup:
(1) emporer 400
(1) octopus BH-300 Skimmer
(2) Koralia 3 powerheads
(75 lbs of live rock)
Current Sundial T5 4x54w

right now just set up as a mech filter. Dont know much about the whole fuge thing, but saw someone turned an emporer into one by adding some lights and stuff.....know anything about that?

aquaguy24

Originally Posted by solarbearusa
http:///forum/post/2716274
Now the waiting begins, 4-6 weeks right? My kids cant wait to actually see something swimming in there!
Anyone have recommedations on how often I should be testing water levels. I did one yesterday just to get familiar with the kit. Didnt expect any numbers but here is where everything is at.
PH 8.2
Ammonia .25
Trites 0
Trates 0
Temp. 78
Do I need to be testing everything during the cycle or just watching a certain thing (I am a saltwater moron so far
)
u can just test the ammonia and wait for it to go down then u can start testing for nitrites and wait for the to go down..then u can test nitrates and wait for it to hit below 30ppm..u can do a water change to get the trates even lower....then test ammonia and trites agian to make sure they are at 0. wait a week and ur ready for ur clean up crew...the length of ur cycle depends on how good ur live rock and sand is..
lots of ppl have great success with a hob filter...but its a lot of cleaning time..a sump/fuge will be a great benefit if u want lots of corals and certain fish in the future, like manderin goby and scooter blenny to name a couple..

Wow....Sundial Th5 setup arrived today, it is freaky. Looks kind of like a UFO landed in our dining room, it lights up the whole room. It's really pretty awesome....my wife is still getting used to the brightness.

A

alexmir

_1 you will get used to the lights. It took a week or two for me to get used to seeing the brightness of my metal halides. The moon lights are awesome!! I love seeing mine on, they give such a neat shimmer.