My AP 24 HQI 150...

howardj

Awesome tank! keep the pics coming'! ;)
I like the rock work. I'm wanting to get a hold of a 24 MH aqua pod myself, how are you liking it?
and if you don't mind me asking, where did you get it, and how much?
Edit: what kind of rock is in there? I really like how you have it..

kjohansen

Originally Posted by HowardJ
Awesome tank! keep the pics coming'! ;)
I like the rock work. I'm wanting to get a hold of a 24 MH aqua pod myself, how are you liking it?
and if you don't mind me asking, where did you get it, and how much?
Edit: what kind of rock is in there? I really like how you have it..
I bought the tank from a LFS, got it for just under $400. Do a search and you should find some decent prices.
The rock is both Fiji and Tonga.
I really like the AP, that is after the modifcations. In my opinion you should get rid of the stock pump asap.

greenreefer

Have you figured out anything to prevent maxijet/hydor flo return from blowing the sand away from the front left corner? If I don't do anything about it I can see the bottom within two days. I tried out a peice of LR there, but it still blows all of the sand away.

kjohansen

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
Have you figured out anything to prevent maxijet/hydor flo return from blowing the sand away from the front left corner? If I don't do anything about it I can see the bottom within two days. I tried out a peice of LR there, but it still blows all of the sand away.
Mine gets down to about 1/2 inch of sand. So I have not figured out that yet. Bigger rocks that deflect some of the fow have helped a little.
Also here is a photo of my clown hosting the Hammer coral..

greenreefer

Great pic. Aren't they fun just to sit and watch.
I've just tried adding a 90 on the return to direct the hydor to blow across to the return and I have a second powerhead (maxijext 600) in front of the return pointed towards the center of the front glass. It looks like I won't have any dead spots and it doesn't seem to be stiring the sand as much. I'll keep you posted.

greenreefer

It is looking great. I wish I could take pictures as well as you do. My wife has a pretty good camera that she knows how to use and keeps promising to teach me how to use it. What is the second to last picture?

kjohansen

I bought the last two frags at a Coral Farmers Mkt last weekend and they told me what they were. I need to the red one more upright and under the halide. I will do that this weekend when I do a water change. Maybe someone can tell me what it is. Maybe a Monti.
Most people think the green coral is a GSP (Green Star Polyp)

perfectdark

Very Very nice looking tank
.. I am jealous that your clowns are already hosting... GRRRR LOL.. The coral in the last pic is a green star polyup.. the spread like crazy too. What ever its touching they will spread too, I have mine up against the back wall of my tank, I think it would be cool to see it spread on a verticle wall make it look like its a lawn.. LMAO.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
Sorry for all of the questions, but I just got similar setup before we went on vacation and we are stopping by a quality online store who has local hours in indianapolis on our way home and I want to make sure I pickup everything I need....Does using the stock pump to circulate the new water eliminate the need for an airstone?
Do you use a skimmer? If so, which one and are you happy with it?
Are you happy with the total lbs of LR in your tank?
Using a pump to circulate the water in your bucket does a few things.. first it eliminates you doing it by hand.
and alot of people use it to help stablilze the PH of the water before you do a change. Me personally, I dont, I just add salt and my power head to the bucket, test the salinity with my refractometer, wait 2 hours and do a change. There is always sediment at the bottom of the bucket but thats common and there is no amount of mixing that will get rid of that.

kjohansen

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Very Very nice looking tank
.. I am jealous that your clowns are already hosting... GRRRR LOL.. The coral in the last pic is a green star polyup.. the spread like crazy too. What ever its touching they will spread too, I have mine up against the back wall of my tank, I think it would be cool to see it spread on a verticle wall make it look like its a lawn.. LMAO.

Thanks!!
The clowns have a lot of fun in the hammer.

kjohansen

Here are a few new photos of the tank.. I have added a couple new corals.

So far everything is doing pretty well and all the parameters of the tank look really good.

perfectdark

WOW Very nice.. I like the sun coral.. I think thats a sun coral... There is another one that looks like it but it has a different name. Very cool indeed...