My clam has a hole

My clam looks like it has a seam in the middle that is coming unstitched making a hole. I am new to clams so I really don't know how to describe it. But when it is open under the MH lights and totally opened, I noticed a spot on the end that looks like a hole and edge of the hole has strings coming up like thread. It looks like a rip. What is up with that? I also noticed a spot on the clam in the middle that looks like a tube coming up. I am assuming it is a mouth. I don't remember seeing that before so that is why I mention it.
I recently added MH lights and got a bad out break of brown algae. It took forever to get it back in shape but it looks good now. I will test it tonight.

thauro77

I also have a darsa clam, i think that is the name and I notice the hole as well but as you said it may be the mouth.

There are two places. One looks like a tube like mouth. The other looks like a rip in the corner, inside part when wide open. When it closed up some when my MH went out and my T5s came on, I couldn't see the hole anymore. Is this bad. It is definately new!

cranberry

That hole is not a mouth but an intake siphon. It can open other further during some times over others, but there is something also called gapping. Gapping, is when the intake siphon is open too far and is a sign of stress. Gapping is not a good thing. Some species of clams open more than others so it is best if you could post a pic.

nycbob

it looks fine. guess u didnt do much research b4 buying. didnt u see this b4 buying? the mantle could hv been extended a bit more out. other than that, it looks ok. how long hv u had it?

florida joe

That looks like teeth, and at the top it looks like it has an eye
that would be a cat
Your clam looks fine to me When it closes its shell look for a white line alone the edge of the two half’s if you see one it’s growing

I didn't see this at all when I first bought it. I was eager and bought it right after getting my new MH lights. Then came the huge bloom of diatoms and/or algae. Pretty much hard to see anything in detail after that. Took me awhile to get things back to normal and that is when I noticed it.