My Clowns won't eat!

mblann1960

I'm rather new to this so forgive me.
I have a 30 gal tank.
Currently I have only two clown fish, each about 1 inch long.
I believe they are the Percula clownfish
I currently am feeding them Brine Shrimp Plus, flake food.
Or should I say, trying to feed them.
They won't eat!
I've only had them about 4 days, but they seem to not want to eat, and if they do, they spit it out.
I put very little food in the tank, only once a day.
The fish food is fresh as far as I know. I'm really at a loss.
Any suggestions?
I don't want them to die.
Thanks in Advance!

when i got my 4 inch maroon clownfish it took him at least a week before he started to accept pellets/mysis shrimp
at first i fed him brine shrimp to entice him for the first few days then he started eating everything else i was giving him...pieces of clam/pellets/flake/mysis
if they don't eat after a week has passed then you should start getting worried...usually fish that are new to the tank take a few days to get used to their surroundings
another thing that might work is using garlic with the brine shrimp to make them eat ...i had a hard time feeding one of my fish a few days ago ( auriga butterfly ) but i used garlic with the food and he ate it so fast

sepulatian

another thing that might work is using garlic with the brine shrimp to make them eat ...i had a hard time feeding one of my fish a few days ago ( auriga butterfly ) but i used garlic with the food and he ate it so fast
I agree here. Try adding garlic to the food.

srfisher17

Glad to have you here! Please don't appologize for being new, everyone here has been there. Remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Basic questions; what are your water params? How long has your tank been set up? Clownfish, especially "aquacultured" fish usually eat readily. Find out what the lfs was feeding and offer that first (maybe with the garlic). But, be sure all your water tests (PH, salinity. nitrite, ammonia) are ok. Nitrates usually aren't a big factor with fish, but I'd check it now also, just to get a base line.

mblann1960

Well, go figure, I tried to feed them today, and they ate like pigs!
Guess they just needed some time to adjust.
The water checks out ok...according to my LFS.
I don't have a test kit yet.
Some of you mentioned garlic. You mean real garlic? If so, how much?
I mean, how do you feed a small 1 inch fish garlic?
Thanks for the feedback, I'm sure I'll have tons of questions.
This site is really nice.
Thanks again!
Mark

i take a small clove of garlic and smash it up real good and the juices that come out of it get soaked with the mysis/brine shrimp or w/e other food and i cut it in small pieces and just dump them in my tank