My Diy EuroReef

kelly

I thought about modifying the design to allow the collection cup to be removed easily. I purchased 2 threaded couplers (threads on 1 end, the other just a plain opening) and an "internal" 4" to 2" reducer. I will glue the 4"/2"reducer so 1/2 of it sticks out the bottom of the threaded coupler. This will in turn slide in to the other threaded coupler.
Not sure if it will leak or not, but it is worth try. On the plain end of the threaded coupler there are some rough areas from where the part # and made in U.S.A. are stamped, I thought I would file them off/flat. If it still leaks, I will try to make a silicone gasket, or try to find a rubber one.
The attached image should show what I have in mind, and SammyG, YGM...
Kelly

flatzboy

Originally posted by Kelly
I thought about modifying the design to allow the collection cup to be removed easily. I purchased 2 threaded couplers (threads on 1 end, the other just a plain opening) and an "internal" 4" to 2" reducer. I will glue the 4"/2"reducer so 1/2 of it sticks out the bottom of the threaded coupler. This will in turn slide in to the other threaded coupler.
Not sure if it will leak or not, but it is worth try. On the plain end of the threaded coupler there are some rough areas from where the part # and made in U.S.A. are stamped, I thought I would file them off/flat. If it still leaks, I will try to make a silicone gasket, or try to find a rubber one.
The attached image should show what I have in mind, and SammyG, YGM...
Kelly

Hey kelly I got mine all setup execpt I don't know where to put the return where the water comes out of the skimmer please help????

kelly

FLATZBOY,
This is a picture from the original post on --, the water exiting the bottom jug is the tube on the right. Make sure that it is not higher than the bottom jug as to allow room for the scum to build up.
I have not built mine as of yet. When I purchased the parts, I found out that the completed version was too tall to fit under my tank. I was thinking about making it an external skimmer about 4' tall, but I am sure my wife would not want it next to the tank. I may just go and get another 1/2 gallon jug and just make a shorter version. The basic design allows for a lot of different options.
I hope the picture answers your question.
Kelly

69vette

Originally posted by govu
can i also get the link? i want to see what its all about.
thanks

Is there a reason that you guys just don't put the link in a post to this thread?

flatzboy

Thanks kelly I will do that to day. I am gonna setup my sump today and get my mag drive 7 for my return. I am still not sure which pump I'll get but I realy don't wan to spend a lot on a mag drive but I got $75 credit to my lfs that sells them for like $60 so I might just get it because I'll use it for something if I don't like the skimmer.

newty

shoot, gave the wrong email address, which is probably why i did not recieve anything! it is: beug12sb(at)hotmail.com
thanks again!